After All These Years, Why Are You Still Here?

59 replies to this topic

#21 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 05:44 AM

Free game to play inbetween other games, pretty much. I'll swing out when I find something else to play, and back in when I get bored and can't find anything.

#22 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 13 October 2017 - 05:49 AM

Where else can I lob missle to my hearts content.

#23 Bigbacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 06:06 AM

honestly for me, it is a casual game that I can play online and give no cares about. I don't get stressed out or angry over things in this game. I just play it. I don't care about stats, don't really care how well I do I just enjoy it for what it is. Not that there aren't things that annoy me I just move on.

After playing things like WoT, WoWS, etc this is cake. Those games I played for a long time but they were always stressful to play because the game dictated so much about how well or not well you could do. Things were always against you at no fault of your own. People complain about MM here....got help them if they play these games. The MM ruins the games.

only thing about this game is I have absolutely no reason anymore to spend real money on it. there is nothing interesting for me to spend it on. I don't need more hero mechs, I don't need to be first in line for anything new, hell I barely need premium time because the games economy is so lax (which is a good thing).

I have spent a lot over the years but honestly new mechs get old because the tech is still the same. it doesn't get set apart form anything else except in the way it looks.

Edited by Bigbacon, 13 October 2017 - 06:08 AM.

#24 Poptimus Rhyme Wallace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 329 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 13 October 2017 - 06:16 AM

I still play for 2 main reasons:
1. Because I have friends that I have spent alot of time with in this game, and we dont really have any other games in common.
2. The fine folks of the community that organize and participate in NBT, giving the matches meaning and weight.

#25 vettie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 1,620 posts
  • LocationThe Good Ole South

Posted 13 October 2017 - 06:26 AM

Battlemechs - duh...

Oh, and I still have fun

#26 Alcom Isst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 935 posts
  • LocationElo Heaven

Posted 13 October 2017 - 06:34 AM

MechWarrior 2 was like the second game I've ever played, the first being Mickey's ABCs A Day At the Fair. So I have a lot of history, muscle memory, and nostalgia for the franchise.

Though I did leave the game for long periods of time as various aspects of the game kinda made me itch. One of those aspects was the pilot & weapon modules which are gone now so I don't feel like I have to spend a literal 1.2 billion c-bills to perfect all of my mechs which is pretty fantastic, so I've been staying around for the past 4 months and being very careful to avoid burnout.

Also I'm in the best merc company ever.

#27 Unnatural Growth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:10 AM

I try not to ask myself why I'm still here.

Don't want to go down that rabbit hole. Maybe because I spent so much money (to me) early on when I still had hope for this game.

I do still log in and play once in a while. But I've always been a casual player, was in a team for a while, til they decided they wanted to go uber-comp and started casting out all us "casual" players (which ultimately pulled the unit apart completely). Now I only play maybe once or twice a week or month, whenever the mood strikes me, play mechs I enjoy regardless of "meta", only play QP matches, and just basically diddle around a bit. It's still fun for a few QP matches at a time. Was hopeful that the new skill tree would become something (nope), and that the "new" IS tech would become something (meh, it helped for a while, but still meh). Briefly had hope that we would get a much needed (for me) color blind mod when that all popped up on the forums, so was excited again for a while, but PGI proved again their inability to stop being PGI.

Will probably linger on here and there until the servers go dark (whenever that is).

#28 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:24 AM

My primary reason is because i actually have fun (yeah im not being sarcastic), and that, for all the issues with this game, its a hell of alot better balanced then other vehicle shooter MMOs such as world of tanks.

The biggest thing for me is the fact that ANY mech minus a couple really really bad ones (cant seem to find a way to do well in or enjoy the centurion NCIX we got a while back free) are viable, and the fact that there is no stupid "tier" or "battle rating" system where you get games where enemies more or less cant be killed with any reliability. Major issue with WOT and WT for me is getting say a tier4 and going up against tier6, where i have no hope in hell of contributing meaningfully to the game because i cant reliably inflict damage and usually get 2 shot killed by the 1st thing i come across, let alone actually having fun being the complete underdog that can at best suiscout or act as cannon fodder for other players. Maybee if they made WOT have a 1 tier spread id actually get back into that game, but as it stands, im not coming back to it aslong as its possible to get utterly shafted by MM which throws you in as nothing more then fodder to pad someone elses stats.

The other reason i really like this game is the customization. I can refit my mechs with a different weapon or for a different role and im not necesarily screwing myself over doing so (yeah i am useless if i bring a 13 flamer stromcrow, but almost all "reasonable" builds can do good damage). Yeah there will always be a "meta", and running non-meta mechs at higher levels of play is gonna end badly, but even the non-meta loadouts are all still capable of doing damage and occasionally even killing meta builds when you get the right situation (laser vomit is sorta screwed when i get my SRM boat into 100m range). Yeah in WOT you might have a choice of what gun you equip, but its nothing more then a illusion of choice since there is usually a single viable weapon and any other guns makes you even more helpless when the MM puts you on the bottom...

#29 Arend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 234 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:28 AM

View PostBlack Ivan, on 13 October 2017 - 02:26 AM, said:

I wouldn't be around anymore without the awesome people from Phoenix Legion, the unit I'm in

<3 Same, along with the competition in MRBC/MWOWC and Battletech Nostalgia the People are the most important Reason to stick around!

#30 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:32 AM

Why am I still here.
Because for a time, this was the onyl way to play BT.
Could not do TT anymore, my gaming group moved on and to different locations.
Got tired of TT's complexity.
Left a few times.
Now I only vist a few forums topics now and then.
Cannot play since June/July thanks to ISP issues STILL not resolved. Even had to get the FCC involved and still not fixed, now also having to go to NYSAG.
Tried other games to fill time I used to do MWO.
Tried MxM, had same connections issues due to being on part of the same paths as MWO with outages STILL notresolved.
Tried Smite, occassionally play now.
Currently doing Paragon.

#31 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:36 AM

Man this thread is way better than actually getting my mech additction treated with therapy.

#32 ShaneoftheDead

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:02 AM

Mostly because some fool made me a Unit Leader and others made me a Community Leader. Posted Image

The basic game, aka Quick Play, can be fun when sides are balanced. It is a shame Match Maker does not balance on a combination of Mech Battle Value and Pilot Tier rating.

The Mech Lab is fun. It's like going into your garage and tinkering with your weekend race car or your model airplane. It has that hobby appeal.

The game is old. Others are taking up more of my time.

When the BattleTech game launches next year.... that may be the end of MWO. If enough of us old-school Table Top players switch.

The sad thing is, PGI could have been swimming in cash. If prior to the Steam Launch, they had balanced Clan vs. IS and made better maps... geez, they could have all been driving Ferrari's. They had that one chance to have a river of money flow into their offices. But according to the steam numbers, they're lucky if the creek bed gets wet when it rains. The fact is, the average gamer does not play unbalanced games which means they don't give those games money. So, MWO is scraping by on the table scraps that us old BattleTech fans toss down to them. And when we switch to the BattleTech game next year?

#33 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:05 AM

I have no life and I must scream...

Oh no, wait. That was something different.

#34 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:06 AM

View PostShaneoftheDead, on 13 October 2017 - 08:02 AM, said:

Mostly because some fool made me a Unit Leader and others made me a Community Leader. Posted Image

The basic game, aka Quick Play, can be fun when sides are balanced. It is a shame Match Maker does not balance on a combination of Mech Battle Value and Pilot Tier rating.

Hmm that is an interesting concept, mech battle value. I might just make a post about that notion.

#35 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:08 AM

New additions to the game is why I am still quite interested in the game. Also it is very likely the best multi player game available.

#36 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:09 AM

Im having fun. And well... look at all those envigorated mech designs, compared to older MW/ MC games and old concepts. Alex really pinned down the new standard for how our favorite mechs should look like. And Harebrained schemes are free to use those model for thir own game.
Also, believe it or not. One of the better gaming communities I've been in. Sure theres some really ugly, facepalming sides. But its great overall.
Not least, the passion and loyality to such a franchise. Havent really seen something similar in other game communities to be honest.

#37 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:10 AM

I still play because this is the best realization of Mechwarrior so far. Sure, it has issues, but it's better balanced for PVP and more visceral than any of the previous titles - and that's me talking with rose tinted glasses firmly attached (MW4 was awesome).

#38 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:14 AM

@ OP

The only reason I am still here are the people on the FRR Hub. They, and not the game itself, make things enjoyable.

#39 ShaneoftheDead

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:27 AM

View PostShifty McSwift, on 13 October 2017 - 08:06 AM, said:

Hmm that is an interesting concept, mech battle value. I might just make a post about that notion.

Think like OPS (On Base Percentage + Slugging Percentage) in Baseball. The goal being, you determine the theoretical offensive output of THIS battlemech with THIS configuration being piloted that THAT pilot and use that number to balance the sides in a match. For groups, it would be easiest to have a target range based upon the size of the group so the Match Maker would have an easier time combining groups into a team of 4, 8, or 12 and balance with the other team. And it does not have to be even team sizes on each side. 4 Tier 1 pilots vs 12 Tier 4 pilots may be an even fight, depending on the mechs, loadouts, and pilots. There are many interesting possibilities.

#40 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:29 AM

View PostShaneoftheDead, on 13 October 2017 - 08:27 AM, said:

Think like OPS (On Base Percentage + Slugging Percentage) in Baseball. The goal being, you determine the theoretical offensive output of THIS battlemech with THIS configuration being piloted that THAT pilot and use that number to balance the sides in a match. For groups, it would be easiest to have a target range based upon the size of the group so the Match Maker would have an easier time combining groups into a team of 4, 8, or 12 and balance with the other team. And it does not have to be even team sizes on each side. 4 Tier 1 pilots vs 12 Tier 4 pilots may be an even fight, depending on the mechs, loadouts, and pilots. There are many interesting possibilities.

Just the phrase alone was enough to knock some thoughts into my head, feel free to add those thoughts to the discussion I made about it also.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users