Nostalgia - Commando From Mw2 Mercenaries

1 reply to this topic

#1 gooddragon2

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:21 PM

Just bought a commando 1b and put 3 medium lasers, and srm6, and 2 tons of srm6 ammo on it (technically it's more than 180 missiles, but it's about right). Wouldn't you know it worked perfectly with the tonnage too.

What sort of tactics would be best for it?

Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries was the first mw I ever played. So this commando is the first mech I ever piloted. It felt weird when I played 31st century combat and didn't have to pay for mechs.

Edited by gooddragon2, 16 October 2017 - 02:22 PM.

#2 Darrious Quinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 244 posts
  • LocationUS East Coast

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:15 AM

Commandos can be a real pest to deal with lately. Mainly used as fast strikers, it’s all about the in and out strafe. Rule#1 for any light mech… never stop moving. If you stand still, you’re dead. So it’s best to simply find a target, come in from its sides or rear, hit it and disappear behind something to come around again. If you’re lucky enough to have a clueless target who is ignoring you, then maybe you take the liberty of hanging behind him for a few shots, but never loiter long because you will be noticed and fired upon.

If you have some funding to put into the 1B, consider a full chassis upgrade. Endo, Full Ferro and Artemis if you like the punch from your SRM. Artemis is optional though, so don’t jump on it first since it will require extra spending to buy ASRMs vs SRMs.

Now for weaps. If you’re going to do the striker, strafe thing, it means MLs have too long of a burn time. Nice range and damage, but it’s hard to focus the entire burn time onto one location during your run.

Look at this build. Fairly standard and straight forward. If you can’t afford the XL, put in the fastest engine you can. I would never ever go below a 190. Sell the STD150 it came with and put it towards at least an XL190..Minimum. The goal however is fast as possible.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4ae90bf3224ce3b

The duration of the small pulse will allow the potential for multiple salvos per engagement, but require you to be very close range. So as you’d imagine, run in, Pulse, SRM, Pulse, GTFO.

If you’d prefer having the range over the short duration, swap the Small Pulse with ER-Mediums since they are the same duration and damage (unless recent patch messed with them – haven’t checked yet) or just go full Wub and drop he SRM and take 3 MedPulse.
The 1B is versatile. With the new tech, you could even load up a SPPC and just Mega Man the whole match or play the annoying guy and run a mix choice of energy and flamers.

I don’t think the Commando as ever been meta, but when you find a playstyle that works for you and the chassis, it’s a trip to play.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users