Gear Vr

3 replies to this topic

#1 Faolan65

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationPhoenix

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:26 AM

I've been away for quite some time, was an original backer, played often right up to when the faction play was introduced and shortly after, "life" took up whatever free-time I had previously used for MWO.
Well, "life" is allowing a bit more free-time these days, so I'm looking to get back into MWO.
The reason for posting in Hardware is I got a promotional Gear VR with my Galaxy S8, and want to know if anyone has had success using a Gear VR as their display for playing MWO. Stereoscopic? Head Tracking?
If you have, please provide links and/or dummy style instructions on how to get it working.

Thanks in Advance!

#2 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:02 PM

the underlying version of cryengine has support for trackIR, but I'm not really sure if anyone every got anywhere with getting it working in MWO, from my log file :
<14:44:05> TrackIRManager: DLL Location key not present
<14:44:05> TrackIRManager: Error initializing NPClient interface!! (Err: 4)
<14:44:05> TrackIRManager: Error registering window handle!!
<14:44:05> TrackIRManager: Error querying NaturalPoint software version!!
<14:44:05> TrackIRManager: Error stopping cursor
<14:44:05> TrackIRManager: Error starting data transmission
which implies to me, that if the other pieces of the puzzle were just there, it might have a hope of, just working ... how it would translate to mech movements is a different chapter in the same story though ...

I don't think your going to find any simple instructions, but you might be able to adapt some info from crisis 2 or 3 ... our engine is somewhere in between the two ....

you should be able to force stereoscopic assuming your using a not too old NVidia card and have all the supporting 3d extensions installed ...

#3 Wine O

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 109 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:25 PM

I got an Oculus Rift a few months back and have a mech-type game (and one amazing mech demo). It would be pretty sweet to be able to play in VR but with the motion sickness issue (up and down movements in the cockpit...), MWO as it is would probably be only for the strongest of stomachs. If someone could turn the original Super Mario Bros into a VR game and now Warcraft (someone did it), someone could do MWO.

Mechwarrrior Tactics on the other hand, that should be VR ready as we have 2 clones of that game in VR already.

Edited by Wine O, 18 October 2017 - 08:25 PM.

#4 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 November 2017 - 08:02 AM

I tried this when the original gear was given out as a promo item with the S7. The idea of being able to "sit" in a mech cockpit and look around is an amazing idea and I wanted it really bad. After a lot of tinkering I got it to work, but only in the crudest sense. The framerate was terrible, the lag was really bad, and the graphics were a throwback to the SNES. Right now I'm waiting to hear if they followed through on all the hype for MW5 being vr compatible before I let my hopes for it get back up.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users