#1 Knightshadowsong

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 290 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 19 October 2017 - 02:05 AM

Greetings Mechwarriors.

Clearly the clans have won this cycle of CW. it's only a matter of time until the Map is reset (either with another tech increase for FCCW or Jihad Era) But Clans have won every cycle of FP so far.

Thus i propose a challange to the major units amoung the clans.

Go Inner Sphere next FP cycle (Starting from the map reset until finish)
With the civil war tech Inner Sphere gained a lot of tech that i feel narrowed the gap between factions, But Clans have remained domanint minus a brief bit this cycle where IS won a few worlds when the new content came out and players were testing it.

I want to see something diffrent, and what i've noticed overwhelmingly is that most big units are Clan

I feel that the game's ballence "Problems" in FP are mainly caused because most of the big, highly coordanated units are on one side. well smaller merc units that flip sides each week and PUG's are on the IS side. but if IS got a big increase in major units, along with the increase in IS tech, the coin would easilly flip and IS would gain ground.

This is just a theory on my part but it's based on what i see as a merc that flips sides every week or 2 weeks. When i play IS (minus the times when i find myself in games with HHoD or 228) IS gets stomped because they aren't coordanated, Sure you get a few guys who are trying to call targets, but most of the time it's chaos on IS side, and players are just going along with the group because going in one at a time is stupid.

But once the push is engaged, there isn't any focus, no calling (sometimes) and very little in the way of teamwork, Some players go for Gens, others are trying for mech's. But unless they are 100% commited to one or the other, 75% of the time it dosen't work.

So again. The Challange to the big units, and i pose this as a chance to prove there units skills because people are still saying clan's are OP, Go IS, PURELY IS, for the next CW cycle. If your units can Win against OP forces then you guys prove that you have the skills to win no matter what. if clan continues to domanate with most of the big units going Inner Sphere, then PGI has a reason to totally rework the Clan macanics. Basicly, if IS wins, Clan's aren't OP, Teamwork is. If Clan wins with most of the major units on IS side, then PGI has proof they can use to step in and nerf the clans harder then they already have.

All the same. I want to see IS gain ground because in my oppinion, fighting against the highly coordanated units makes playing IS much more challanging and makes you a better player as a whole.

Take it as you will.
And see you on the Battlefield Mechwarriors.
(PS: This is posted on the Clan page as well)

#2 TWIAFU

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 19 October 2017 - 02:52 AM

You want players to willing give up the easier button for the harder button?

Give up dry drops for live drops?

Long waiting times for none?

LOL

Nice idea, but not based in gamer reality.

#3 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:24 AM

Have you actually looked at the FP Scoreboards? A 100+ size unit is not the boogeyman, it is the number of active players who are dropping in FP. The scoreboard shows the top 20 are mostly small size units, some only 1-4 members.

Anyhow, the scaling "tax" PGI uses should be scuttled. If there needs to be a tax it should be a flat rate tax. Due to the current taxation of adding a new member, the more members, the more expensive it is. And when it was added the UI originally did not have who was on last. For the previously large units, many were "family&friends" who did not play often but when they did log on, POP instant group (unit) chat, connections, social networking before even logging into TS, if being used, which would have included recently indoctrinated members since the last time that person logged in.

Many people continue playing DUE to those social in-game networks, something PGI has failed at horribly. And since this IP is a very NICHE game, that was important in the beginning, and is even more fraking important now.

brb

edit - Understand for IS units, many started because they had different expectations based on what they believed PGI had promised but failed to deliver. Tons of threads on that alone so no reason to rehash it here now. But due to that lack and the way Community Warfare > Faction Warfare > Faction Play has changed and the previous/current setups, people lost interest because it is more like QP w/respawn. The map is almost meaningless. /shrugs.

Though what is OP is communication, cooperation and mech synergy on a drop. An organized unit simplifies those items but that does not mean a pug/semi pug can not approach that, be it on Clan or IS side. For the IS though, it is easier for a player to set himself up for a loss before even dropping by what is done in the mechlab, followed by communication/cooperation/aggressiveness.

During the last event I had a few drops where the Clan pugs vs IS pugs were not aggressive, they either were not really communicating or cooperating. It made it easier to single out/focus fire on high priority targets. But this is where, due to the lack of a more functional in-game chat system, people have a more difficult time gathering together for a common purpose but instead relying completely on the game to shove them together.

I have been playing since original Mechwarrior and GEnie's EGA Multiplayer Battletech 3025 ($6/hr non-primetime). I enjoy the IP and got sucked into it simply due to a pirated Mechwarrior 5.25 floppy without the necessary passwords and the people I do drop with.

...Beer run!!!

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 19 October 2017 - 02:24 PM.

#4 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:51 AM

This will never happen, been asked for before.

Units pretty much said they will only do things for their own self-interest, not for the community or balance. That means Merc Units flipping factions for rewards, House units staying loyal to Faction for personal reasons.

Am surprised at 2 of the top 10 Merc Units.

#5 McGoat

Banned -Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 629 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:34 AM

MS just came off of a 5 week IS crunch - we're transitioning currently. Many units rotate between the two, some (most) stay clan longer than they do IS. Clan mechs are pretty fun - have you considered rotating out, too?

#6 Duke Einholt

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:48 AM

Well it a nice thought but a lot of the mercs units run Clan for the near consistent 50% faction bonus paid for being in one of the new clans. The whole way the bonus system works is totally skewed since there is only 2 buckets to draw players from now.
If PGI really wanted to try and help balance the player base between the TWO sides they should implement same bonus for all Clan factions and all IS factions. When one side started getting to overloaded increase faction pay for all those in other faction and drop it for the other side. Example: All Clans at 0% bonus all IS 40% bonus or all Clan 40% and IS 0%

Unfortunately I believe they are also trying to balance with faulty data counting loyalist and all mercs unit members if the are active or not - it would be much better if they would try and balance each side based on currently active FW players .

#7 naterist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 1,724 posts
  • Location7th circle of hell

Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:33 AM

Its funny because half of them claim to dislike lore and rolplaying, but if you ask them to do something like this to make it fair, theyll claim their mercs who follow the cbill anywere... which is rping. So, eh.

Short story even shorter, clan mercs will give any excuse to not give up their tech imbalance unless its temporary, and then only so they can claim they play both sides.

#8 Stahlherz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 380 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 12:10 PM

KCom has fewer than 50 members. So we can stay Clan, yes?

#9 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:06 PM

View PostStahlherz, on 19 October 2017 - 12:10 PM, said:

KCom has fewer than 50 members. So we can stay Clan, yes?

No! Every KCOM is worth 4 speroids! therefore your unit = 1,000,000 freeborn! (I R GUD IN TEH MATHS)

#10 Lolo van Trollinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 167 posts
  • LocationTrollhejmr

Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:20 PM

There is a very simple thing to do.
Balance the active Populations in their Timezones.

suggestions:
- Tier Players according to the number of Wins in the Timezone they actually play in and on their respective servers
- if a disbalance develops, change payout to encourage change.
- if a certain amount of that tier is in some faction already, lock down contracts. prevents the topheavy situation we have.
- if the situation further escalates, put a underdog premium out to encourage gear purchases or reduce the gear cost for the underdog. maybe hand out free XLs, LEs or endo kits.
- "target marked" bonus XP.
- If someone calls the drop on voip or whatever, allow your team to hand him lets say 10% of their XP and 10% C per player. MVP pays off. if you didnt to anything good, probably no one is going to give out a share.

Last but not least:
- Tanking XP+Cash for sharing damage. e.g. if your mech goes down with 400 damage tanked, get a huge boost. with 800 tanked, get a larger boost.

oh, and i forgot another one. red herring trolling award... but thats another story ;)

#11 FallingAce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 627 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:21 PM

View PostKnightshadowsong, on 19 October 2017 - 02:05 AM, said:

Greetings Mechwarriors.

Clearly the clans have won this cycle of CW. it's only a matter of time until the Map is reset (either with another tech increase for FCCW or Jihad Era) But Clans have won every cycle of FP so far.

Clans have not "won" every cycle. The battle for Luthien was a tie.

According to the "win" conditions the clans must conquer 3 of the 5 contestable I.S. homeworlds.
So far the Clans are 0 for 1.

SO if you want to rally the troops for the I.S. the only carrot you can offer is the possibility of 2 more ties where everyone wins nothing.

#12 naterist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 1,724 posts
  • Location7th circle of hell

Posted 19 October 2017 - 02:25 PM

View PostFallingAce, on 19 October 2017 - 01:21 PM, said:

Clans have not "won" every cycle. The battle for Luthien was a tie.

According to the "win" conditions the clans must conquer 3 of the 5 contestable I.S. homeworlds.
So far the Clans are 0 for 1.

SO if you want to rally the troops for the I.S. the only carrot you can offer is the possibility of 2 more ties where everyone wins nothing.

But pgi made sure they got a mech they probably already had, and made it a varient they cant sell. Then gave IS a bigger mech that sells for a lot and could be sold (wasnt the champion iirc). No reward system will encourage people to go IS like they go clan, for an event. You need contracts to lock when a side starts filling up.

Or a little freakin balance might be nice too.

#13 Kompleks Ognevoi Podderzhki 320

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 02:59 PM

How they filled us up to 1.300 damage and stuffed them. And it does not matter which side to play. It is important that when I play, all 12 players fill more than 1300 - 1500 dmg. And in some divisions, there are even rules that prescribe a mandatory minimum amount of damage and killings in the claim to the pilot.

#14 November Juliet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 111 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 05:44 AM

Evil is in the process of going IS. Were about 60/40 now.

#15 Meldric Ward

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 159 posts
  • LocationTranquil

Posted 20 October 2017 - 05:51 AM

The FW map is utterly meaningless. Terra surrounded for month third time in a row and we get Tukayyid and Luthien events, half-thought-through and in the typical PGI manner.
I wonder if there is anyone around who cares about BattleTech who actually even takes a look once in a while to that map.
It is a joke and it has been from the start.

Winner is the side where the "big" units go to. No use in actually trying to compete or change anything on the map. The whole system has been and is broken.

Edited by Meldric Ward, 20 October 2017 - 05:52 AM.

#16 Kaoba

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 214 posts
  • LocationMordor

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:20 AM

Best thing of being IS is the fact that bads start running out of ideas to justify their massive stomps, lol.
Theres no ez button ****, yeah IS mechs are not better but at the end of the day the unit with better players is gonna win no matter what side is playing....

#17 Fox the Apprentice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:36 AM

View PostWayTooSexy, on 20 October 2017 - 06:20 AM, said:

[...]
but at the end of the day the unit with better players is gonna win no matter what side is playing....

Agreed. But what determines which side gets the better units/players?

View PostWayTooSexy, on 20 October 2017 - 06:20 AM, said:

[...]
IS mechs are not better

Ah. THERE it is! Posted Image

EDIT: Just to clarify, I don't think there's a huge disparity between clan and IS tech. But I do think it exists, and no disparity should exist in a properly balanced game. "The bigger units will win anyways" does not mean it's OK to throw balance out the window.

Edited by Fox the Apprentice, 20 October 2017 - 07:38 AM.

#18 Kaoba

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 214 posts
  • LocationMordor

Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:53 AM

View PostFox the Apprentice, on 20 October 2017 - 07:36 AM, said:

Agreed. But what determines which side gets the better units/players?

Ah. THERE it is! Posted Image

EDIT: Just to clarify, I don't think there's a huge disparity between clan and IS tech. But I do think it exists, and no disparity should exist in a properly balanced game. "The bigger units will win anyways" does not mean it's OK to throw balance out the window.

Thats why you have the extra tonnage, but then again IS puglords use that on lrm atlas and machine gun king crabs among other horrors

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users