So What Does Everyone Think Of The New Mechs?

135 replies to this topic

#1 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 05:44 AM

So what does everyone think about the new mechs. I only bought the basic packs for each but here are my first impressions.

Osiris - Kind of a bog standard, run of the mill 30 ton IS light. Nothing that really stands out but not a bad mech either.

Arctic Wolf - Kind of surprised with this one as I thought it would be underwhelming, especially the omni version due to the small engine cap but pleasantly surprised. Comfortable level of speed, comfortable level of agility, comfortable amount of firepower. Ironically my favorite build doesn't use ECM.

Nova Cat - My first impression it the basic pack leaves a lot to be desired. You have a choice between energy, more energy and even more energy but nearly any build that uses up the mechs entire free weight on an energy build is too hot. Most what i think would be a good overall build ends up woefully under-tonned with 5-10 tons unused. I think to get any really good use out of this mech, you need the omnipods from the reinforcement pack which means it is gated behind the paywall. On the one build I came up with that seems fairly optimal, the mech performed well enough. It is a little slow but has good enough agility that you don't really notice the speed and it tanks damage alot better than I though the geometry would allow.

Nightstar - Alot more average than I expected. Decent hit boxes, slow but with enough agility you don't really feel weighted down and sluggish despite the top speed. Decent but not really great firepower. Overall a very OK mech at least the basic pack variants. Overall I am not a fan of the arm adjustments however. I find it very hard to corner poke with the mech and would have perfected the lowered arms so that the mech had a more compact stance. I expect the best variant of this mech is behind the paywall.

So those are my impressions, at least with access only to the basic packs. How do you guys feel?

#2 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 05:59 AM

I don't own any of them, but after fighting them, I think I echo most of what you said. The Osiris is nothing special - It fights like a 'generic' light, and it dies like one. I barely notice a Nova Cat when it shows up, and the Nightstar is your typical IS Assault, unwieldy and vulnerable unless well supported.

The Arctic Wolf... I'm still waiting to see a standout one. I believe it can do awesome things. But I've yet to really see it.

#3 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:11 AM

Arctic Wolf kicks ***, and gives more variety to drop decks. Basically a Clan Assassin, but with far bigger firepower.

Nova Cat kicks ***, and gives more variety to drop decks. Laservomits very effectively when built right.

NStar is so sluggish.

Osiris is meh.

Clans won big on this pack.

Edited by El Bandito, 19 October 2017 - 06:13 AM.

#4 Athom83

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:17 AM

Osiris is somewhat interesting. I like what they bring to the table despite it not really being much "new".

AW is amazing.

Nova Cat is actually a little hard to hit from range. My shots keep going right under the armpit.

NIghtstar... is interesting. Looks really cool from the front, but quite odd side on. And its CT is very hard to hit when its looking 90 degrees from you.

#5 SmokedJag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:39 AM

View PostBombast, on 19 October 2017 - 05:59 AM, said:

I don't own any of them, but after fighting them, I think I echo most of what you said. The Osiris is nothing special - It fights like a 'generic' light, and it dies like one. I barely notice a Nova Cat when it shows up, and the Nightstar is your typical IS Assault, unwieldy and vulnerable unless well supported.

The Arctic Wolf... I'm still waiting to see a standout one. I believe it can do awesome things. But I've yet to really see it.

You can get an 80 point SRM alpha fired in two groups on the -1 with an XL300 for 121kph base. It won't last long but neither will anything it ambushes.

#6 eminus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 604 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:42 AM

Nighstar
  • soft like a jelly pudding
  • weapon convergence in the arms is terribad
  • looks awesome

#7 Tordin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:13 AM

Not tested mine yet. Went on painting them and ripping all stuff from the spare ones. Aka those variant/ configs that the (s) variants are based off.

#8 Rakshasa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 560 posts
  • LocationThe Underhive, Pomme De Terre

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:29 AM

I'll let you know when I've managed to pry myself out of the Nova Cat Prime. Seem to be stuck. Send halp.

#9 - World Eater -

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 940 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:35 AM

I preordered the Nightstar but haven't played in a month (I'm burned out). Is it worth coming back to play it?

#10 Rovertoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 408 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:36 AM

My Nova Kitty is amazing~ It is a bit hot though, especially stock. Ive killed myself through shutdown more than Id like to admit. Right now I like an almost stock prime with two PPCs and 3 med pulses, with the JJ pods and the biggest TComp I can fit to fill the remaining tons after heat sinks. I also tried the stock LRM boat nova cat and it blew me away, its only 5 tons heavier than my catapult and fields 3 times the firepower. For my first clan heavy, I am suitably impressed! And that S variant paintjob is sweet!

#11 Fox the Apprentice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:38 AM

Nightstar is about as bad as I expected, but it's about as close to a Marauder II as I'll get. So I'll play it anyways :)

#12 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:44 AM

They picked the ugly IS material, instead of the newer, more reflective/shiny one. I am very disappointed.

(If you don't know what I mean, compare a GRF-1N with the PHX-1 in the Store, for example. The Griffin colors always looked washed out and worn. The Night Star has that look, too. I hate that look.)

Edited by MustrumRidcully, 19 October 2017 - 07:44 AM.

#13 Myke Pantera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 836 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:46 AM

I haven't had the chance to give it a ride, but the Osiris is far from ordinary. It's greatness just comes a bit more subtle than with the Arctic Wolf Battlemechs. Here are some points that make it really good:

The only IS 30t mech with JJ, high engine cap, high and plenty hardpoints
  • Run as quick as a locust if you want (only the spider and 2 Javelin 30tonners can do this, and neither has > 6 hardpoints to back it up)
  • One sided 6 energy (chickenwalker) mech.
  • 4E 3M, you need to scroll down to the Kintaro to find an IS mech with that hardpoint combo
  • 5E 2B, let's you do 5xSPL/ML with 2xMG/LMG for added DPS
Unless the hitboxes are awefull this thing is going to be excellent (if you're into IS Lights)

Edited by Myke Pantera, 19 October 2017 - 07:46 AM.

#14 Mike McSullivan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 556 posts
  • LocationHannover, Germany

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:58 AM

I was just playing with my Nightstars so far.
Since my series of losses does not come to an end (3 wins in 11 games fits perfectly in my 20-25% winratio in the last days...) i am more frustrated then anything else...not a good sign. the mechs are unskilled, sure, but it feels like playing MWO for the first time.

i need hints for good Nightstar setups ;)

#15 Hydrocarbon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Qualifier
  • WC 2017 Qualifier
  • 659 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:04 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 19 October 2017 - 06:11 AM, said:

Arctic Wolf kicks ***, and gives more variety to drop decks. Basically a Clan Assassin, but with far bigger firepower.

The only issue is it trades the "can't kill me" hitboxes of the assassin for that firepower. Legs are also quite weak. I'm glad the ERML nerf wasn't so bad, I quite like the 6 energy variant. Overall decent 40t addition.

#16 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:06 AM

Don't own any, but Nightstar look a lot better than in the preview !

#17 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:12 AM

View PostMyke Pantera, on 19 October 2017 - 07:46 AM, said:

I haven't had the chance to give it a ride, but the Osiris is far from ordinary. It's greatness just comes a bit more subtle than with the Arctic Wolf Battlemechs. Here are some points that make it really good:

The only IS 30t mech with JJ, high engine cap, high and plenty hardpoints
  • Run as quick as a locust if you want (only the spider and 2 Javelin 30tonners can do this, and neither has > 6 hardpoints to back it up)
  • One sided 6 energy (chickenwalker) mech.
  • 4E 3M, you need to scroll down to the Kintaro to find an IS mech with that hardpoint combo
  • 5E 2B, let's you do 5xSPL/ML with 2xMG/LMG for added DPS
Unless the hitboxes are awefull this thing is going to be excellent (if you're into IS Lights)

My problem has been that you don't have to tonnage to use all those hard points effectively, not if you want to retain any speed and unlike the Urbanmech, it doesn't have the quirks that make the Urbanmech so effective despite its low speed. Unfortunately because of those lack of quirks, you need speed to live.

That being the case I am ending up with significantly less firepower than those hard points would lead you to believe would be possible. Its not bad firepower by any means, but its nothing special either. I guess that is why I see it like any other generic IS mech, not bad, but nothing outstanding about it either.

#18 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:18 AM

View PostMike McSullivan, on 19 October 2017 - 07:58 AM, said:

I was just playing with my Nightstars so far.
Since my series of losses does not come to an end (3 wins in 11 games fits perfectly in my 20-25% winratio in the last days...) i am more frustrated then anything else...not a good sign. the mechs are unskilled, sure, but it feels like playing MWO for the first time.

i need hints for good Nightstar setups Posted Image

I actually found it quite hard to come up with good builds and what I have come up with seems to be under powered considering it is a 95 ton mech. Honestly they really seem to need an XL engine to give them the firepower you would expect out of them but I am not sure they are very XL friendly. With a light engine I got the tonnage I need with Endo equiped but not enough crit space or plently of crit space without Endo but then not enough weight. I guess I could go with a smaller engine to save weight but I am of the opinion that a mech needs to be able to hit at least 60 kph to keep up with the Nascar that most fights seen to degenerate into.

Note: The builds I have come up with aren't bad but just not as potent as I would have expected and I don't think it is a bad mech at all, just a little hard to build.

Edited by Viktor Drake, 19 October 2017 - 08:19 AM.

#19 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:24 AM

View PostViktor Drake, on 19 October 2017 - 08:18 AM, said:

Note: The builds I have come up with aren't bad but just not as potent as I would have expected and I don't think it is a bad mech at all, just a little hard to build.

What are you running? All I've seen suggested for builds really is the typical GR boats, the ERLL spammer, and LB40-X Dual SNPPC.

#20 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:24 AM

N9va Cat Prime with 5x MPlas 2x LPlas, tc1, 26 dhs is a monster. NCT-B with 4x ATM6, 2x ATM9, 2x HML is ungodly in its range bracket.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users