Highlander 732-B

5 replies to this topic

#1 Jonathan8883

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 708 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:25 AM

I got this when new to MWO a few months ago because it was supposed to be super-tanky. I've even filled in the skill tree for armor survivability.

I have burned quite a few C-bills trying to make it work. It doesn't seem to be any more durable than my Marauder-IIC, and I'm struggling to hit 300 damage with it on anything approaching a consistent basis. The best I've ever done was when I cut the jumpjets out for 6 extra tons of weapon space.
The other "best" I've done with it was as a large laser sniper, but even then, the low hardpoints make it rough. 3 ER larges, SSRMs and machine guns.

I've tried a brawler build (MRM 40+20, LBX 10, 3 ER smalls). The low hardpoint locations made me miss on terrain a lot, and I still got focused down quickly.

I also tried a full-on sniper build this morning (2 AC2s, 2 ER larges, TAG, LRMs) and again due to hardpoint locations got blasted down every match with sub-200 damage, even on Frozen City. AC2s travel too slowly it seems.

I am not having fun with this mech, and I'm tired of spending C-bills on it. What can I do? (aside from just stripping it and letting it sit)?

#2 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:41 AM

Try 3x LPLAS, 2x ASRM6, endo + 300 STD. Sniping is a waste of the chassis.

Also the durability quirks ARE substantial. Plus 29 CT armor is no joke. Are you front loading your armor? Assaults have substantial structure points as well. Filling out the survival tree is well worth it on most mechs.

Posted Image

Edited by Spheroid, 19 October 2017 - 08:18 PM.

#3 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:08 AM

It's a big target for sniping... and you know, most lr weapons at over 1000m do practically no damage...

#4 Felix von Buelow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 117 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:48 AM

I am running 3 LPLs and a Gauss on mine. With a max LFE engine and all weapons on the right side you need to twist and shoot and let the enemy eat off your left torso first. While charging the Gauss you can shoot your LPLs, when the Gauss slug is on its way twist to the right. I had most success using it as a right side peeker.

#5 Jonathan8883

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 708 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 07:41 AM

I don't like Gauss, but 3xLPL + AC10 seems to be good. Low alpha, but consistent pinpoint damage. If it didn't overheat too much with sustained fire already, I'd drop in a couple of rocket pods for close range burst damage...

#6 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 29 October 2017 - 07:53 AM

Oh I don't know...a 40 almost ppfld alpha on an IS mech is anything but low.
And therein lies the problem.
Its an IS Assault.

The Mech would need an XL to get enough payload whle maintaining an okish speed but IS XL just gets you killed early on any Assault and beeing to slow just causes you to get left to the wolves when your team starts to run around like headless chicken.

The LFE can do some things to aleviate the problem but is still too heavy to give the mech a loadout that is worthy to be called assault.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users