Balance

8 replies to this topic

#1 Xavori

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 792 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:11 PM

I've run a bunch of matches today, and IS is pretty much holding its own because well, organization is seriously OP. The skittles clan drops I've had have been terribad. So many guys dropping with no idea what to do, dropping in trial mechs, female dogging at teammates who don't push, can't move and shoot, etc. But all of that can be fixed with just one guy getting on mic and giving people instructions.

I also had a few drops with DSx. Every single one of them today was a win. The difference in having an organized team to drop with is night and day vs skittles.

That out of the way, in terms of mech performance:

-Clan mech absolutely rule in medium range brawls if they can fire and hide. They need to wait a bit longer now, and they end up shedding more heat by default. It's brutal if the IS lets them pull that off.

-Long range comes down to whichever side has the better gunnery. Mostly that has been IS today. As a side note, it's really boring to bring a brawler deck and realize the entire rest of your team wants to poke from long range. And it's ironically funny when they do that and end up getting slaughtered because the IS pilots are better shots and/or are running mechs with range quirks.

-Furball brawls have all gone to the IS so far today. Once things go knife fighting, the armor/structure quirks and variety of weapon builds roflstomp clan laser vomit.

-The funniest fight we had was against a team of IS pilots that tried to assassin rush while we had ID. We just parked in the water and waited. With no place to hide to get into range, they were forced to wait and wait and wait. Then a last minute move to splatter them secured our victory.

-I don't think I can stress enough how OP organization is. No amount of lighter/smaller equipment can make up for a total lack of leadership. And ya, I know fully well I could have fixed that any time by getting on the mic, but I'm weird in that I enjoy watching chaos.

#2 naterist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 1,724 posts
  • Location7th circle of hell

Posted 19 October 2017 - 04:44 PM

Couple things

1. Retitle this, thoughts on grammer

2. Its really damn easy for anyone to beat pugs as unqualified as you are describing, tech imbalance or not

3.if both are mechpiloting gods, then longrange will go to clans. They can do more damage, in exchange they need to be able to aim really well for 1-2 seconds or so. Is does less damage at less range, but you only need to aim for .5-1 seconds or so. If both can aim exactly equally well, clans will win the rangeduel.

4. If your losing brawls as clan then either your terrible at backing up, or you brought crappy brawling builds. Thats luck of the draw, but if your clan and can aim, your still taking out st's or legs in 1-2 shots (thats heavy and medium mechs, lights its like... half an alpha to ko, especially when most still need is xl).

Yes, coordination will take you much further in fw, but if you dont have mechlab and aiming down, then no win for you. IS has some crutch like qualities, but if you arent potatoe, then clan will get you through the day. Even for brawling, think, what IS mechs can boat 2 20 caliber balistics, and survive a st loss, while also being relatively fast. Then ask, what clan mechs can do that? Youll notice that clans have medium mechs with equivelant loadouts to IS heavy mechs, and the only requirement to have them act like their innersphere counterparts, or surpass them, is the ability to aim.

So if you think about it, clans have clan mediums doing IS heavy mech sized damage on IS heavy mechs with assault level armour, but IS cant reliably strike back for most of the engagement because theyre getting into range, which may never happen as IS mechs are all generally slower than their clan counterpart. Then remember how clan mechs can boat heatsinks, and so they tend to have higher cooling rates than IS mechs, so generally their builds (not the weapon itself, the BUILD they can make, taken as a whole) can have higher dps in addition to higher speed and alpha and range. Hows that fair? Admitedly, these values have been reduced (laser nerfs and uac nerfs and new tech and all that) but when clans have a minor edge in every catagory, then its obvious whos going to win without outthinking the opponent. But wait, the opponents (clanners) tend to have played this from launch, wereas your team has played since last week. Good luck thinking up something they havent seen before.

#3 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:31 PM

Really I.S. is owning? Slider bar seems pushed the left as always. Also not a good night for observational data gathering. Many are playing with Artic Wolves and Nightstars in QP.

#4 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:36 PM

View PostXavori, on 19 October 2017 - 03:11 PM, said:

-Long range comes down to whichever side has the better gunnery. Mostly that has been IS today. As a side note, it's really boring to bring a brawler deck and realize the entire rest of your team wants to poke from long range. And it's ironically funny when they do that and end up getting slaughtered because the IS pilots are better shots and/or are running mechs with range quirks.

-Furball brawls have all gone to the IS so far today. Once things go knife fighting, the armor/structure quirks and variety of weapon builds roflstomp clan laser vomit.

The irony of these two bullets being adjacent to each other...

#5 Bluttrunken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 830 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:13 PM

-I don't think I can stress enough how OP organization is.

It seems things haven't changed since I last dropped FW because most of what you said was always the case. It's a vicious circle: newcomers come into the mode unprepared, get stomped by vets who know what they're doing and getting deterred, the vets get less matches because few newcomers decide to stick around, making the vets leave after a time.

PGI needs to work on:
a) Making the mode either more accessible to newbs, which will be hard as the population is already low OR introduce stricter rules before you're allowed to join(for which it is probably to late, the population seems to be in such a bad shape that deterring *anyone* from joining is a bad idea)

later on: b ) making the mode feel more like warfare with a more thoughtful design, real, tangible impact from the players or more elaborate season rules which introduce at least some excitement. there's no build-up to the war, no high and low points. everything is just the same sluggish mass with no changes between matches and, especially, no apparent, tangible impact on the war effort. the game is supposed to depict a war but fails to communicate any excitement coming out of (a digital realization of) it.

PGI shouldn't have placed the mode on the *whole map* in the first place. Introducing campaigns with only a handful of planets and clearly stated goals would have increased player impact and visibility of that impact. Imagine a Clan "Luthien" campaign going over several weeks where clans attack very specific planets with very specific goals to pursue before finally laying siege on Luthien. A real siege, designed with new maps and mechanics, instead of the (sorry) bs event where people play the same modes/maps they play all the time anyway. A win in the first phase of the campaign let's the Clan push on, a loss hands the (attacker's) torch to the IS.

And by the by: that most experienced units apparently favor one side heavily during events doesn't help *at all* either. It just detracts newcomers even more.

Edited by Bluttrunken, 19 October 2017 - 09:18 PM.

#6 Xavori

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 792 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:16 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 19 October 2017 - 08:31 PM, said:

Really I.S. is owning? Slider bar seems pushed the left as always. Also not a good night for observational data gathering. Many are playing with Artic Wolves and Nightstars in QP.

At the time I posted, it was actually about 50% of the way towards IS victory. I suspect, just a teensy bit, that since then, a few more of the organized Clan units have logged in.

And it was just as good as any other day for observational data. I'm pretty sure I can make that post practically any day for at least the next month. IS wins until North American prime time. IS pug drops are better than Clan pug drops. That's been the case for a while.

#7 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:34 AM

Or you can just boat MPLs, use your better speed and mobility and just close in to mid/close range and wipe them out regardless of what they brought.

Or run SRMs and lasers on Linebackers and do that.

Or run Gaussvomit or boat ERLLs and wipe them at range.

#8 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,658 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 20 October 2017 - 03:00 AM

It is interesting when a Clan pug posts his troubles, considering the shape of the Innersphere map, and the history showing no IS wins since that piece was added, with it either being Clan wins or ties but usually in Clan flavor.

#9 r4zen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 309 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:06 AM

(...) female dogging at teammates (...)

I lol'd

View Postnaterist, on 19 October 2017 - 04:44 PM, said:

1. Retitle this, thoughts on grammer

I lol'd again

Edited by r4zen, 20 October 2017 - 09:06 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users