Osiris: Is It Good?

23 replies to this topic

#1 Shadey99

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:36 AM

I've spent the last several days playing around with all the new 'escalation' mechs. And decided to post my thoughts on them here after a few hundred matches. Starting of course with the Osiris the new IS light.

All variants share a lot of common features: It's a 30 ton light on par with the Spider, Urbie, and Javelin. All come with FF, EE, & DHS preinstalled. All run XL 245 engines stock with a 285 engine cap. Stock speed is ~130 kph. All of them also come with 4-8 Jump Jets.

For my personal play style I opt for the speed tweak skills on all new lights and mediums I play and for the Osiris I pretty well universally upped the engine to an XL 255 (or more). I considered Light engines for it, but decided against it as it cut into the mix of firepower, armor, and speed to much for my taste.

Overall impression: Can take a bit of a beating even without skilling for durability. Also can hit hard for their weight.They also can reach speeds up there with Locusts and Commandos. This makes them great strike and fade mechs. Dashing in and out of fights as needed. It's one big downside is IS missile launchers are heavy and most deigns of the Osiris don't get more than two launchers. It feels like two is just not enough in most cases and suffers . It also lacks ECM, so you need to be more careful.

Now for the variants:

The 1P is my least favorite. A pair of launchers doesn't feel very strong here. Also if you want to go with ballistics (ie quad MGs) that's at least 3 tons minimum. To top things off the energy is a set of two in the CT. Limiting you to either a pair of lighter lasers or one heavier laser. This makes it a lot like a Locust 1V and 1M combined into a single mech.

The 1V is one of the few non-ballistics variants. Instead giving you a third missile launcher along with 4 energy weapons. This does mean you can do a 3xSRM6 build, however this is basically all your tonnage requiring 9 tons without artemis (12 tons with). With a XL 240 engine, stock FF/ EE, and max armor you have 10.64 tons available. Even 3xSRM4 is hard to fit leaving you ~4 tons after fitting the launchers only. Honestly it's easier to build this as a energy weapon platform.

All other variants are functionally identical mixing some MGs with energy weapons... Only the 1P lacks at least 4 energy hardpoints and the 4D has 6. Most often these hardpoints will carry Medium lasers (or smalls). The 4D can deadside with no hardpoints in the left side. The 3D can sort of do this as well if you forgo the missile launcher, this leaves just 2 ballistics in that side. So most play very much alike.

Comparisons:

Locust: The Osiris and the Locust can hit the same speeds and tend to have similar loadouts. So the Osiris can be said to be a larger, slightly more (physically) durable Locust. The biggest difference is no ECM or Stealth armor option for the Osiris. The Osiris does also carry jump jets, which can be very useful.

Firestarter: The FS9 is another platform that is primarily an energy boat for small and medium lasers, however it's not as fast as the Osiris. It does however mount a few more lasers.The Ember and FS9-H also carry ballistics making them very much like the Osiris in builds. They also both have jump jets.

Wolfhound: The wolfhound is the other IS light energy boat the Osiris needs to be compared to. Just like with the FS9 the Wolfhound is slower than the Osiris, and in this case lacks jump jets for that added mobility. However it is more sturdy and has similar weapons loads than the Osiris. Having gone 1 on 1 with a few Wolfhounds it's often a draw as to who can win such a fight.

Arctic Cheetah: The king of lights also tends to be a energy boat with ballistics options. However as is usual between IS and clans, the clan option tends to be better. The Osiris is faster, but in my experience I seldom win one on one and running away can be very hard from a ACH in the Osiris.

Edited by Shadey99, 26 October 2017 - 07:13 AM.

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:54 AM

The Osaris is the only one I don't have. 15 dollars for a series of 30 tonners isn't exactly appealing. If it was 10 I'd jump on it. Kind of iffy that I put 20 on a 40 tonner, but I was not left disappointed with it. Perhaps in the animations (this seems to be a very frequent complaint with all the civil war mechs...)

For mechs that are largely similar, such as the Nova Cat and Arctic Wolf where the omnipods could basically let me recreate them to my leisure and makes having 3 variants completely pointless... I've found that funneling their skill trees toward extremely different roles has made them feel very unique, even when I recreate another variant the skill tree makes them play at least somewhat different.

I've found in the one with more firepower and survival, I'm putting bigger, heavier weapons on it than I normally would. Another with a focus on speed and firepower I'm funneling harassing rapid fire weapons on it. On yet another I maxed out operations, mobility, sensors and a bit into jumpjets and consumables, and now I have a recon harasser that can get out of there quickly.

So one could think of what different approaches to the skill tree might do for your Osiris.

#3 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:51 AM

they're decent enough to me though i'm usually a medium/urbie pilot. I only bought the standard pack though. what seems to work best is the 5ML/ER ML and 2MG/LMG loadouts. I did up the engines a little. the ER ML version is hot though. you get the left side to shield arm on most of them. using xl atm though considering trying a light engine just to avoid dying when I do lose that shield side. only tried it in one so far. tried MPLs but it makes the ER ML ones look like a cool summer's breeze in comparison.

the lone launcher I've found to be not worth using.
the 6 energy one I just go 6 ML and i'm good.
the triple missile one I tried 3 SRM4s and 4 ER SLs but didn't have much luck. switched it to dual SRM 6s which seems slightly better. may still mess around with this one. thought about streaks but finding the extra 1.5 tons for the BAP limits them to ssrm 2s if you want to keep the laser backup.

#4 Shadey99

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 03:03 PM

View PostLikeUntoBuddha, on 22 October 2017 - 09:42 AM, said:

I'm trying to look at Arctic Wolves and I seem to be having a problem with Smurfys.

Explaining Smurfy is a tad outside this threads scope. Also I should have the Artic Wolf one up 'soon'. Arranging my thoughts when half of them are omnis and the other half are not takes a bit longer.

View PostTanar, on 22 October 2017 - 09:51 AM, said:

only tried it in one so far. tried MPLs but it makes the ER ML ones look like a cool summer's breeze in comparison.

Most lights are best as energy boats and anyone whose played lights long enough has to usually get used to managing heat. It's also one reason why strike and fade and sniper (ERLL & PPC builds) styles are so common. Both let you cool off and come back in ready for action. I've seen a few sniper Osiris builds as well, but it seems a waste and they get crunched by fast lights pretty easily.

#5 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 565 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 03:22 PM

The 1P is my best, in terms of KDR (over 2.0). Dual ERML, dual SRM2, quad MG, xl 265 engine. Use the lasers to open up a back, srms and mgs to crit them out. It's the slowest build I'm using at the moment. Most of them I put in an xl 285 with as close to max armor as I can without wasting tonnage, 3 of them (1P, 1V, and one 3D) have smaller engines (265, 275, and 270 respectively).

The 1V is my worst. I currently use it with 2xERML 2xERSL and one SRM6 in the torso. It's just really underperforming (KDR is .11). What's odd is that I have a 3D configured nearly the same, with the SRM in the left arm (obviously) 2xERML 3xSL (not ER), which does much better despite being a little bit slower. I've only got 1/7th of the way through the skill tree, though, and it could just be luck of the draw that the 1V has been stuck with poor drops or something.

Using 2 missile mounts on the arm make that arm HUGE. I also greatly dislike using weapons that would naturally group up across arm and torso mounts, so having 2 arm mounts and a torso mount would keep me from putting them all in the same group.

Overall, I think the Osiris is alright so far. They play like slightly larger, more heavily armed, and more durable Locusts*. But not as durable as Urbies or even Spiders. Better punch than a Spider, though.

*edit to add: with max engine the Osiris can be exactly as fast as a max engine Locust.

Edited by Ertur, 25 October 2017 - 06:09 AM.

#6 RolandDT

• Pip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 01:22 PM

View PostTanar, on 22 October 2017 - 09:51 AM, said:

the triple missile one I tried 3 SRM4s and 4 ER SLs but didn't have much luck. switched it to dual SRM 6s which seems slightly better. may still mess around with this one. thought about streaks but finding the extra 1.5 tons for the BAP limits them to ssrm 2s if you want to keep the laser backup.

I had a great (500+) damage game on Viridian Bog in that mech with 4x SL and 3x SRM2 (1.5? tons ammo). Play it like a fast striker, either dueling with Lights or harassing larger prey, especially back-cored Heavies & Assaults in late-game. Definitely enjoyed that variant. Had some good games with 5x ERML 2x LMG variants, as well as 2x MPL 4x HMG (although this one is still a work-in-progress - may switch to LMG with a bigger engine for quicker strikes).

All in all a neat little mech. I'm not normally a Light pilot, but the Javelin has given me interest, and the Osiris is continuing the trend.

Now, if only I could get more comfortable with my Nightstars...

#7 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 01:35 PM

View PostRolandDT, on 26 October 2017 - 01:22 PM, said:

I had a great (500+) damage game on Viridian Bog in that mech with 4x SL and 3x SRM2 (1.5? tons ammo). Play it like a fast striker, either dueling with Lights or harassing larger prey, especially back-cored Heavies & Assaults in late-game. Definitely enjoyed that variant. Had some good games with 5x ERML 2x LMG variants, as well as 2x MPL 4x HMG (although this one is still a work-in-progress - may switch to LMG with a bigger engine for quicker strikes).

All in all a neat little mech. I'm not normally a Light pilot, but the Javelin has given me interest, and the Osiris is continuing the trend.

Now, if only I could get more comfortable with my Nightstars...

been trying 3srm4 and 2 ERSL in the torso lately and it has been running a bit better for me, especially against the bigger mechs. ammo is occasionally an issue though (removed 1 ERSL just to toss another half ton of srm ammo in to get to where I am now. the 5ER ML/ML, 2LMG I have set up for the (S) variant and it's regular version just so it's not the same loadout on both.

#8 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 07:32 PM

I have had more success treating them like big awkward Commandos than Locusts. Best results have been achieved by boating MPLs of all things, though tonnage can restrict your ability to do this on these platforms. Skirmish and harass, never use as a pursuit mech, and don't duel other lights due to heat limits. Good at messing with mediums and hurting heavier things without them noticing you.

#9 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:52 PM

I just got my computer back up after a major meltdown, so it was only yesterday that I finally got some stick-time with the Osiris. I've only dropped with the 3D... but so far I'm pretty happy with it. This is what I ended up settling on. I tried experimenting with MGs and SRMs, but either one just yielded too little return to be worth the tonnage. The RL20 at least offers one good "up yours!" that IMO is a better use of the ton and a half than, say, one more sink and one more jet would be. I felt like it made a difference when I ran with it, whereas the MGs and the single SRM spent too much time not being useful. The rockets let me selectively erase one choice target's back armor instantaneously so I could pew pew the squishy internals faster and make a better nuisance of myself.

I may end up doubling (tripling?) down on the rockets for the 1V. Missile lights and I don't generally get along, whereas I know I'll be able to pull my weight with 4xERML, and that's three "win trade by default" alphas I could potentially unload (or one really funny volley of "screw that PUG in particular") before settling in for the peek war.

It's the 4D that I'm honestly a bit lost on. I mean, the obvious thing to do is balls-out ERML vomit, but... seems a waste on the one variant that can really fly to spend all the tonnage on sinks instead of wings. Standard mediums, maybe? I mean, you're catching as much air as a Spider, but with twice the firepower, so that's gotta be worth at least a few chuckles.

#10 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 565 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 11:23 AM

For my 4D I went with 4xERSL in the torso with 2xERML in the arm, max engine. I think I added some cooling by pulling off some jump jets. It's like an upgunned jumpy locust. I know Tim doesn't like me calling it that, but I feel how I feel.

#11 Agent1190

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 469 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 04 November 2017 - 01:59 PM

Great little mech. Load them up with 5 ERMLs and 2 LMGs with an XL280 - quite nimble.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...637e40bd6d0f601

It's also nice to not have to pay the DHS/Endo tax.

The lack of Arm Actuators hurts this mech though. You have to be looking at your target, which means in a light vs light duel (Osiris vs Cheetah, for example) you can't swing your arms to the inside of the turn to hit your opponent.

#12 Ukos

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 01:54 PM

I guess i have to be the dissenting party, compared to my locusts they are slow, delicate, clumsy and even with max jumpjets fly like an Ostrich.

Personal feeling on osiris
I had bought them thinking it would be almost a locust 2c,a fun durable bigger locust which unfortunately it hasn't been as i really wanted to enjoy this mech especially with the fun special paint job

As it is built it suffers from PGI's insistence of giving mechs structure buffs instead of armour (which eventually once a mech has been abandoned gets converted into armour buffs) and feels like it was built to be a mid to long range 'mech reliant on hill humping and sniping.

I am curious if this is what PGI's design intent was with this mech perhaps it is something they can do for future mech packs giving a brief description of their intent and perceived role for a new unit.

For me if it had to be rated one to ten i would give it a three, i'm glad some people are enjoying it but it just isnt gelling and is possibly one of my worst purchases.

Edited by Ukos, 06 November 2017 - 01:56 PM.

#13 TKG

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 182 posts
  • LocationThe Sandhills of NC

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:33 PM

View PostUkos, on 06 November 2017 - 01:54 PM, said:

I guess i have to be the dissenting party, compared to my locusts they are slow, delicate, clumsy and even with max jumpjets fly like an Ostrich.

Personal feeling on osiris
I had bought them thinking it would be almost a locust 2c,a fun durable bigger locust which unfortunately it hasn't been as i really wanted to enjoy this mech especially with the fun special paint job

As it is built it suffers from PGI's insistence of giving mechs structure buffs instead of armour (which eventually once a mech has been abandoned gets converted into armour buffs) and feels like it was built to be a mid to long range 'mech reliant on hill humping and sniping.

Ukos, you aren't the only dissenter regarding the capabilities of the Osirus.

Now, before I go any further keep in mind I didn't evaluate this mech in comparison to anything above or below it's tonnage simply because that would skew the process of testing the mech. With that said, I got the standard pack as their hard points were compatible with weapons load outs in my arsenal that had already proven themselves. I tried load outs suggested in a few places and my own ones and even the stock ones and found that the Osiris simply does not stand up to enemy fire as well as other designs and it seems take more damage than any of my other 30 ton mechs which reduces it's usefulness. My guess is that the osirus suffers from hitboxes that might be too large or just the fact that it has a terribly wide frontal torso profile making it very hard to miss. Either way it's not my favorite, other mechs do it's job with less of a fuss.

[edited for typos]

Edited by TKG, 08 November 2017 - 10:36 PM.

#14 killkimno

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:56 AM

No.

One of best useless mech. (even std 60 urbenmech is more usefull)

DO NOT BUY THIS MECH

#15 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 565 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:30 PM

To each their own. I've generally enjoyed my Osirises. Then again, I have every IS light and most clan lights (only missing the Mist Lynx for now -- though I haven't yet driven my Cougars).

Fast like a Locust but armed like a Jenner, it's a solid mech -- if you can play a hit and run striker. You can't stand there like an Urbie and tank, and you can't dance and dodge in the middle of the enemy's formation like a Spider, Locust, or Commando. It has a different playstyle, but it can be done effectively.

#16 Edwyndham

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 154 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 08:49 AM

Enjoying my 1V with 2x ER ML, 2x MRM10 and a rocket 15 as a hit and fade striker.

#17 Laser Kiwi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant-Colonel
  • Leutnant-Colonel
  • 271 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 02:41 PM

not as good as a commando.

for good pilots only, get caught peeking and you'll be out of the fight tout suite. If you can make it work though i reckon it a feather in your cap.

#18 Carrioncrows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 02:40 PM

I've found them to be fragile. All ST and legs.

Which in my humble opinion makes them rather useless at going fast when a both consistent and continuous hits nail the same large spots and can wreck you. Instead I think they work better as assassins and gunboats.

Simply slow them down and pack on the weapons, and use wisdom to slink around unloading and pulling back.

x5 or x6 lasers, triple srm5's and er smalls. Anything that allows it to punch above it's weight

#19 Larsh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Lanner
  • The Lanner
  • 272 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationYinz all going to EnP at PGH n'at?

Posted 04 May 2018 - 04:05 AM

I recently acquired this mech, and I loved every minute once I skilled it up. I maxed out the armor, and made sure to focus on the legs. Just never stop moving, or find good cover if you think you'll be up against a force that can take you out. And oddly enough, I've found that many players ignore this mech for some reason.

#20 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 04:55 AM

View PostLarsh, on 04 May 2018 - 04:05 AM, said:

And oddly enough, I've found that many players ignore this mech for some reason.

"Eh it's just an Osiris, how much damage could it possibly do?"

EDIT: Hmph. I should have bought Sekmet instead of Shard during that sale last week

Edited by Audacious Aubergine, 04 May 2018 - 05:02 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users