How Do I Build A Mech With Single Heat Sinks (Is)

3 replies to this topic

#1 Potatomasher69

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 76 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 08:01 PM

I'd like to have a discussion relating to Single Heat Sinks (Inner Sphere). How do I take a mech fresh out of the store with no upgrades, and jam something on him that can somehow boast even one advantage over a mech that has been upgraded to Double Heat Sinks. Please, I beg anyone responding, not to tell me to just upgrade to DHS because they are better in 90%+ builds and 100.1% of builds that are in competitive play. You have an arsenal of weaponry, equipment, and armor, but you've just bought a fresh Inner Sphere mech from the store and have no C-Bills. It has Standard armor and structure. I'd like input on a few straight questions;

-How many tons of external Single Heat Sinks do you have to stack on 250/275/300 Engine builds to have a Heat Capacity advantage over DHS?? And, how many tons of SHS do you need to have a better Heat Dissapation?

-I can't find current information on the value of both types of Heat Sinks internally. What are SHS and DHS worth internally right now?

Just from my own experimenting, I can only seem to get SHS to work on Larger mechs that have the tonnage to have a lot more heat sinks. An Awesome, one Zeus, one Stalker, then a Grasshopper. It seems, once you build them with lots of Single Heat Sinks, the only options left are really just a couple ERLL's. I can imagine on lighter mech's it would be the medium lasers. And while my alpha is bad, it does seem like I can maintain ERLL spam in extended combat longer then I would have by using 3 slot DHS. I'm hoping this would equate to better dps, but I won't go that far yet.

Something about a machine built with excessive amounts of heatsinks to maintain energy spam just makes me feel good. Like I'm playing in a fine tuned piece of equipment that is purpose built. DHS builds feel burdened by 3 slot heatsinks to me, and when I'm standing behind a rock or torso twisting enemy fire waiting for heat to settle after a single alpha strike I feel like I've got a crap piece of equipment that is poorly built. Waiting for heat to settle? I might as well be waiting for my Ultra Cannons/RAX to unjam :(

#2 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,695 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 22 October 2017 - 11:07 PM

View PostShe Plays For Me, on 22 October 2017 - 08:01 PM, said:

And, how many tons of SHS do you need to have a better Heat Dissapation?
If my memory serves, you need around 40 SHS - making this non-viable except for energy boating assault mechs.

-I can't find current information on the value of both types of Heat Sinks internally. What are SHS and DHS worth internally right now?
If my memory serves, internal DHS (up to the 10 limit that comes with the engine by default) have 2x heat dissipation, external (on chassis, engine slots at >= 275 rating) 1.4x

Please, I beg anyone responding, not to tell me to just upgrade to DHS because they are better in 90%+ builds and 100.1% of builds that are in competitive play.
I won't tell you to, you already realized you have to.

Edited by Horseman, 22 October 2017 - 11:10 PM.

#3 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 565 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 11:50 PM

Assuming the mech with DHS you are comparing with only has 10 heat sinks (which is the minimum), then you would need 20 SHS to give you similar heat capacity and cooling. Figure on 1.4 SHS for each DHS over 10. So you would need 27 SHS to match 15 DHS for an 250t engine or larger.

Your best bet would be to focus on low-heat weapons: medium/small lasers, SRM4's, MRM10's, some of the smaller ballistics. Get the 5 cool run and heat capacity skills in the operation tree. Get the heat skills in the firepower tree. The bottom line, however, is that it is never going to be anything other than a massive disadvantage in most cases. That said, I have 2 or 3 IS mechs that have SHS as a deliberate choice. The Spider 5V doesn't need DHS, neither does the Locust 1V.

Edited by Ertur, 24 October 2017 - 07:26 AM.

#4 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:11 AM

All (IS?) DHS except the maximum of 10 build into a 250+ engine have a heat dissipation of 1.4 per unit.
Single heatsinks always have 1 regardless if build into the engine, into the engine slots or in the mech's body.

There is one thing though. Your mechs heat treshhold is also linked to the kind and number of Heatsinks you have installed.
So the only possible "advantage" of SHS over DHS is that you can cram in so many of them that you can get (in theory) a higher heat treshhold than with the limited number of DHS you can get at maximum.

Edited by The Basilisk, 23 October 2017 - 12:12 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users