Hbk Iic-A Skill Tree Question.

7 replies to this topic

#1 Ellisson

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:23 AM

Hello <0

I bought a Hunchback IIC-A for my first mech. So far I have 60 percent radar deprivation and planned on stopping there on the sensor tree. I'm now thinking about going ahead and getting the advanced zoom node for dual erppc/erll builds because the mech seems to need its' distance.

That leads to my question.

Should I go ahead and max out the survival tree for my Hunchback IIC-A? I already have the left side of the survival tree unlocked. I researched them before I bought it and everything I read calls the IIC Hunchie a glass cannon. The Inner Sphere Hunchback seems to be a tank compared to mine.

Thank you for any input you wish to share.

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:44 AM

It is up to you. The IS Hunchback has just one hunch and it is given a lot of extra armor since it could be crippled by destroying that hunch. In comparison, the Clan HBK IIC can carry a lot more weaponry due to lighter weapons, has a lot more hardpoints on virtually every build, is able to lose a side torso if it uses the XL engine (unlike the IS version which is doomed to be slow) and the Clan one can jump.

Canonically, HBK IICs are glass cannons meant for older Clanners that want to die in battle. There is no respect for old age in the Clans.

This said, you can help it tank a bit by packing in the structure on the right side of the tree. Or you can capitlize on its superior mobility if you have a bigger engine. Another way to capitalize on survival is, like the IS Hunchbacks, pack on the double weight of a STD engine to run as a zombie if you want (no arms and no side torsos and still laughing in the face of the enemy).

The advanced zoom may work for you, it may not. I suppose it depends on how far you are on the firepower tree to capitalize on the range.

#3 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 27 October 2017 - 02:55 PM

View PostEllisson, on 27 October 2017 - 11:23 AM, said:

Hello <0

I bought a Hunchback IIC-A for my first mech. So far I have 60 percent radar deprivation and planned on stopping there on the sensor tree. I'm now thinking about going ahead and getting the advanced zoom node for dual erppc/erll builds because the mech seems to need its' distance.

That leads to my question.

Should I go ahead and max out the survival tree for my Hunchback IIC-A? I already have the left side of the survival tree unlocked. I researched them before I bought it and everything I read calls the IIC Hunchie a glass cannon. The Inner Sphere Hunchback seems to be a tank compared to mine.

Thank you for any input you wish to share.

Hunchback IIc's don't play like IS Hunchbacks,especially your Hunchback IIc-A. They are played as mid-range trade mechs, with their high mounted lasers. Poke up, rekt someone, reposition.

There's multiple different "right" ways to skill the mech, here's mine:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 Ellisson

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 06:27 PM

Thank you both for your experienced advice.

On your build I noticed the two erlls are in the same torso. Is this for countering any convergence issues?

I also wish good luck to EmP in the finals.

Edited by Ellisson, 27 October 2017 - 08:34 PM.

#5 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:09 PM

View PostEllisson, on 27 October 2017 - 06:27 PM, said:

Thank you both for your experienced advice.

On your build I noticed the two erlls are in the same torso. Is this for countering any convergence issues?

I also wish good luck to EmP in the finals.

I put my two ERLL on the left side so that if I need to make a long ranged poke, I can just stick out my left side to do it. I know people that run this build with 2 ERLL and anywhere between 4 to 6 ERML depending on their comfort in heat management.

Thanks for the well wishes!

Edited by Vxheous, 27 October 2017 - 11:10 PM.

#6 Khaze

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 01:08 AM

From my subjective experience, I can tell most people don't bother looking at what variant of HBK you're running and will always blindly focus your right shoulder.

As such, I've placed my heaviest hitting weapons in my left shoulder to spare them some pain. I've considered investing in some structure or armor skills, but I've found that a big engine and smart utilization of it's most salient property, namely the high laser mounts, lets me avoid damage very well, sparing the need to bulk up for tanking.

This is the first mech with clan tech I've ever bought and I have to say I'm slightly disgusted at the margin that exists between all of my IS mechs and this thing. Clan lasers hit hideously hard, even with the extended burn times.

#7 Bug Catcher

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 08:03 PM

I’m using three HBK-IIC’s and I just filled the whole ‘survival’ tree, I didn’t realize either side did something different. Is it better to use the ‘firepower’ tree over the ‘cool run’ tree? I haven’t been doing bad in the IIC-A but I only use a few lasers and I have a XL255 only.
[smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...de04ab53f2ff7f4[/smurfy]

Sure love to overheat but the flexibility of the HBK is fun. My regular version has a UAC20 and 2 MPL’s, really can pour damage into a big target.

#8 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 29 December 2017 - 01:26 AM

The Firepower tree has a slightly higher cooldown effectiveness than the Operations tree, but slightly less overall heat containment capability.

Firepower: 10.5% cooler weapons.
Operations: 10% faster heat dissipation, 15% more heat storage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users