Why Do People Bring Er Ml Novas To Scouting?

17 replies to this topic

#1 Jun Watarase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 11:42 PM

It runs far too hot, spread damage like crazy, and obviously cannot out tank the usual IS SRM griffins/bushwackers...

#2 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,614 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 11:57 PM

This topic could be just why do people bring stupid builds to scouting/pug/gq/cw

#3 Commander A9

• Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationGDI East Coast Command, Fort Dix, NJ

Posted 02 November 2017 - 02:10 PM

Some of us are trying kiting tricks, especially when gathering. It works every now and again. Focusing fire is critical.

Edited by Commander A9, 02 November 2017 - 02:10 PM.

#4 Virlutris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 02 November 2017 - 02:19 PM

View PostCommander A9, on 02 November 2017 - 02:10 PM, said:

Some of us are trying kiting tricks, especially when gathering. It works every now and again. Focusing fire is critical.

All of this.

#5 Cryostriker

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 14 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 November 2017 - 02:48 PM

Because IS mechs don't seem to properly armour their legs in scouting. Looks like they are shifting the tonnage to firepower. If you don't suck at shooting then your damage shouldn't be spread at all, it should be going straight to legs. I peal them apart in seconds. (disclaimer I use the 12er-sml variant not er-med, but same principle applies)

#6 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 02 November 2017 - 03:04 PM

Most of the "OP" IS builds are brawl range. *IF* a player can be disciplined, they can do a lot of damage to enemy mechs before it gets into its effective range...

The players you see struggling with such builds prolly saw a good player use/recommend it and haven't mastered it (yet).

#7 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 02 November 2017 - 07:05 PM

View PostCryostriker, on 02 November 2017 - 02:48 PM, said:

Because IS mechs don't seem to properly armour their legs in scouting. Looks like they are shifting the tonnage to firepower. If you don't suck at shooting then your damage shouldn't be spread at all, it should be going straight to legs. I peal them apart in seconds. (disclaimer I use the 12er-sml variant not er-med, but same principle applies)

The heat and free tonnage is totally different from the ERMLas config, however. Shorter burn duration and lighter weapons means more heat efficiency and more effective damage placement. The problem are the ERMLas builds.

That said, I understand why they think it will work. I am sure it does, on occasion. They want to deal lots of damage at a range that the IS mechs cannot effectively return fire at. Long range game only works on some maps, and often only if the enemy allows it. Especially since many IS brawlers are moving slightly faster than the NVA. However, once you're closed on, your heat efficiency is awful, your face time to deal damage surgically is high, and you are even more susceptible to flamers than the typical Clan brawler.

#8 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 07:06 PM

People often are limited to what they own on an account. My principal alt for example, is heavy on clan mechs but not heavies (only a single linebacker). So when I build my faction invasion deck I have six 90 ton clan options, 1 65 ton, a couple 55 ton, four 50 ton, and three 30 ton options. Both that account and this one use the same huntman variant/build for scouting. However long ago, on this account, before I ever owned a crow (and when the tonnage was 55) I'd use a twin-pulse/triple streak ecm shadowcat in scouting and did quite well with it. Airborne guided missile launches really throw off a lot of players.

Edited by Dee Eight, 02 November 2017 - 07:10 PM.

#9 Wuldain

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 37 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 07:12 PM

Simple answer: It's one of the trial mechs for clans.

#10 Trenchbird

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:19 PM

View PostCryostriker, on 02 November 2017 - 02:48 PM, said:

I dunno, man. Back when I ran IS, I normally ran full leg armor, and I still got legged pretty damn quick. Granted, that was before the SPL nerf during Tuk 3 against premades, but... One guy could typically leg me pretty damn quickly.

BTW, that's with trying to shield open-but-not-destroyed legs with less damaged legs, something I quickly had to learn to do.

Edited by Catten Hart, 02 November 2017 - 08:19 PM.

#11 Lims Cragma

• Pip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:23 PM

Because this or similar NVA builds are extremely effective when the Clan scouting unit is well coordinated. IS mechs, albeit having more firepower, are legged in no timie by a focused fire from the NVA quartet

#12 PFC Carsten

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:10 PM

View PostJun Watarase, on 29 October 2017 - 11:42 PM, said:

It runs far too hot, ...

Learn to manage your heat.

..., spread damage like crazy, ...

Lower your mouse sensitivity.

...and obviously cannot out tank the usual IS SRM griffins/bushwackers...

Learn positioning or at least learn to play to your chosen chassis' strength.

In addition to that, there are some postings here already explaining why and more importantly how ERML Novae can be made to work well in Scouting.

#13 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:17 PM

2hll, 2cerml hbk iic.

Kite, shoot legs, stick with your team.

#14 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:35 PM

It runs far too hot, spread damage like crazy, and obviously cannot out tank the usual IS SRM griffins/bushwackers...

It and the Hunchie2C are the current medium champions being used as trial mechs...thus... we get nova-S's with 6 ERML, triple AMS, and extra heat sinks being brought to scout matches. Very rarely do I see stock nova primes with a dozen ERMLs being used. If its a 'dozen' lasers... its ERSL or Micro ERs paired up with quad MGs.

. Both Larsh and I submitted NVA-S variants in the last champion design series, which was done before the laser nerfs that followed. ERML's got hotter but further shooting with longer cooldowns and durations and small pulses got less heat and damage but faster cooldowns and lower durations. His won the popular vote over mine (which used 6 small pulse lasers). The difference between the two of us however... is I designed TO the quirks of the arm pods, which have a -5% pulse laser heat gen quirk and he did not. Thus mine had a higher sustained DPS and also I carried more AMS ammo than his (by 6000 rounds) thus it had more staying power for defending against incoming missiles. And that was before the ATMs, MRMs, Rockets and more streaks got added to the game.

Edited by Dee Eight, 08 November 2017 - 06:36 PM.

#15 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 05:14 PM

Thing is, if you’re going to kite from range why would you bring a slow af Nova? An Ice Ferret or Shadowcat would be much better at playing keep-away against Griffins and Bushies.

#16 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:39 PM

I've seen it.. they are wrong but I've seen it... 12 spl for me.

#17 TELEFORCE

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:01 PM

I have a lot of experience running a stock Nova Prime in public matches and faction play, and I have wrecked so many opponents with it. It's definitely not for people who like to tape the trigger down. It rewards those who use the 'mech's mobility to move in and out of cover, and who can also hold a laser beam steady on individual components like legs and side torsos. 42 points of damage per arm can cause an unhealthy amount of damage to other 'mechs when properly utilized.

However, it is best used against mixed weight classes, lights being the least preferred of targets. It also heavily relies on opponents not closing in well below the ER medium laser range, like the various Sphereoid SRM brawlers encountered in scouting. Those brawlers can easily remove the big arms on the 'mech, pretty much kicking out the configuration's teeth. I don't use the stock Nova Prime in scouting matches for those reasons.

#18 DarklightCA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 774 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted 14 December 2017 - 02:04 PM

How does ER Mediums spread damage? Lasers are as direct fire as you can get. Being it's stupid easy to leg mechs in scouting, my guess would be that they are banking on legging mechs from mid range and avoiding SRM optimal range.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users