28 replies to this topic

#1 BOPGargoryle

Rookie

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 1 posts
  • Location505

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:20 PM

is a tier 1 a higher skilled mechwarrior than a 5 or vise versa. if 5 is low how would one raise levels.

#2 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 09:19 PM

Yes, 5 is low, 1 is high.

It's largely based on match score, which largely is based on dealing damage. An a lot of games, it doesn't advance very fast.

There's no particular need or reason to try to actually advance, as the system is just to make sure people who perform better will more likely play againts people who perform better as well. It has no value by itself outside of MM.

#3 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:53 AM

to gain in tier win, on a win you cannot loose "tier points" and provided you get 250+ match score (match score, not damage, although in most game modes 2 points of damage are worth 1 match score, but there are several other things which contribute) you will go up

on a loose that 250 score is the minimun requirement not to loose tier.

at the end of each match you get an /\ if you gain tier, a \/ if you loose and an = if you maintain.

the sole purpose of the tiers is to try to put you in relitavely fair matches, if you are too good for your tier you will climb out of it, if you are not good enough (unless in t5) you will fall out of it but that could a hundred games to move into tier 4, then another hundred for 3 and another for 2, if you are already in the correct tier you will not move unless your skills improve.

I doubt I will ever reach tier 2 let alone tier 1, and I am fine with that, t1 and t2 players have rediculous expectations on them, 1-2 small mistakes and they have lost the game, I like being able to experement and have fun.

If you are not happy in the lower tiers (I assume because matches are way too easy) and want to get to higher tiers fast, create a new account and do the first 25 games in a Mech you know you can always do 500+ damage in, the first 25 games have a much higher multiplier for tier change and I believe it is possible to be at the upper edge of t3 by the end of the cadet games if you do realy well
I am not sure if it is still the case but you could, at one point, move up a tier on the first match if you did realy well.

#4 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:57 AM

View PostBOPGargoryle, on 01 November 2017 - 08:20 PM, said:

is a tier 1 a higher skilled mechwarrior than a 5 or vise versa. if 5 is low how would one raise levels.

Your Tier is measured by your PlayerSkillRating (PSR)
The Number of PSR you gain or loose is related to your matchscore but influenced by a number of other things that are not public.

Here some articles describing the general workings:

https://mwomercs.com...-tiers-and-psr/

#5 The Cyberserker

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:03 PM

View PostBOPGargoryle, on 01 November 2017 - 08:20 PM, said:

Just not being completely braindead will get you to 3 easily. As far as I know from observation it's mostly based on winning or losing, but individual performance is also a lesser factor. I've always gained from winning. I've never gained from losing, although it might be possible if you have a ridiculously good game. Around 400 damage give or take is the point where you don't lose skill rating from losing a game.

Edited by The Cyberserker, 02 November 2017 - 04:03 PM.

#6 mistlynx4life

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:41 PM

Tiers are used to ostensibly separate the more skilled players from the less skilled ones, or at least the more teamwork-y ones from the lone wolves, though that's not entirely what happens in practice. There are a number of sources to cite here but mainly I use this and this. In short, it's damage.

Match score determines change in your Pilot Skill Rating and the largest factor by far is damage. Not kills, not KMDDs, not wins. Do 400dmg+ reliably and you will raise through the Tiers regardless of just about anything else. The other things help and I don't recommend neglecting them (capping, spotting, assists, etc.) because... well, because then it's not really teamwork, is it? Not everyone will make it to T1, then, because not everyone prefers to play builds that do the consistently high damage required. I've scoured the web to find where this conclusion is not accurate and I've yet to find it - if someone can show me where I'm incorrect, I welcome the instruction.

I echo the common sentiment that the Tier System can largely be ignored. It's not a judgement of your total abilities in any real way because, at the moment anyway, it's so skewed to prefer the one metric (damage) over anything else. Happy Gaming! ;)

#mistlynx4life

#7 mistlynx4life

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:43 PM

Sorry for the double post - I made a video that I can use as my answer to Tier-related questions from here on out. Hope it helps. Posted Image

#8 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 565 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 11:06 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 02 November 2017 - 09:53 AM, said:

to gain in tier win, on a win you cannot loose "tier points" and provided you get 250+ match score (match score, not damage, although in most game modes 2 points of damage are worth 1 match score, but there are several other things which contribute) you will go up

I think it's actually under 100 match score to go up (like around 50 or 70), but it is a small increase. For a very very low score in a win, you stay equal. For a low to medium score you go up a little, with a high score you go up a lot.

In losing, if you get a low score it goes down a medium amount, a little if you get a medium score, and not at all with over 250 or so. If you have a very high match score, you can actually go up a little.

Match score isn't just damage -- things like scouting, UAV's, being protected or in formation, and spotting help. But damage and damage related things (kills, assists, solo, etc) are a lot of it.

Don't worry about tier. It'll take care of itself over time. Just focus on doing damage, supporting your team, and not dying and it'll trend upwards.

#9 Carbon Guardian

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 43 posts
  • LocationVancouver Area

Posted 12 November 2017 - 02:24 AM

the tier system is designed to move you up the better you get at positioning and working with your team. Hiding in the back line as an Atlas while your mediums are the front line isn't team work and will result in a low score. Piloting an Atlas on the front line with a high alpha strike and a wing man or 2 will give you a better chance to get a high match score.

#10 TheManx

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 07 June 2018 - 05:24 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 02 November 2017 - 09:53 AM, said:

If you are not happy in the lower tiers (I assume because matches are way too easy) and want to get to higher tiers fast, create a new account and do the first 25 games in a Mech you know you can always do 500+ damage in, the first 25 games have a much higher multiplier for tier change and I believe it is possible to be at the upper edge of t3 by the end of the cadet games if you do realy well
I am not sure if it is still the case but you could, at one point, move up a tier on the first match if you did realy well.

So I started playing in 2014. Played HUNDREDS of missions! Then had to take a break.
I'm just back. Could you share you link to your source for the 25 mission rule? I've never seen it elsewhere in these tier discussions and I'm very curious how it might impact a person in my situation.

As for playing with tier 5 noobs, I read a lot of very poor talk and disdain towards tier 5s in these tier discussions. I really do have to speak up about one of the major things hurting my match score and that's other players, often higher tier players, simply walking in front of my shot. I don't mean walking in front of my INTENDED shot, or me being stupid and standing where someone is actively weaving back and fourth, I mean, out of no where, just rushing in to try to grab the kill shot.
I shoot lasers. Not pulse lasers. They're these funny things that draw pretty colored lines across the area and I keep watching higher tiers walk directly through them to get in a shot and in each case their noob actions are costing me huge!

I group with tier 1 clan mates so I end up in battles with tier 1s all the time. Just last night I was in on a match almost entirely populated by tagged tier 1 players. The feeding frenzy to get a shot in on one Cataphrack was so mind mindbogglingly ridiculous, it was impossible for me to find any open lane to take a shot through without risking hitting someone else. We were all standing out in the water with the target on shore, there were no buildings or other obstacles. And these "Experienced TEAM players" were walking in front of each others lasers fighting to get some damage score on this single mech.
On that particular match, we won and I ended up with 600 team damage! all while trying to avoid hitting others and watching them just walk into my beams!

So what is it again that Tier 5 Noob trash (That IS how you all speak of anyone who is tier 5) is doing that just doesn't happen among seasoned and tagged tier 1 experts?

Edited by TheManx, 07 June 2018 - 05:27 AM.

#11 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 07 June 2018 - 05:39 AM

View PostTheManx, on 07 June 2018 - 05:24 AM, said:

So I started playing in 2014. Played HUNDREDS of missions! Then had to take a break.
I'm just back. Could you share you link to your source for the 25 mission rule? I've never seen it elsewhere in these tier discussions and I'm very curious how it might impact a person in my situation.

As for playing with tier 5 noobs, I read a lot of very poor talk and disdain towards tier 5s in these tier discussions. I really do have to speak up about one of the major things hurting my match score and that's other players, often higher tier players, simply walking in front of my shot. I don't mean walking in front of my INTENDED shot, or me being stupid and standing where someone is actively weaving back and fourth, I mean, out of no where, just rushing in to try to grab the kill shot.
I shoot lasers. Not pulse lasers. They're these funny things that draw pretty colored lines across the area and I keep watching higher tiers walk directly through them to get in a shot and in each case their noob actions are costing me huge!

I group with tier 1 clan mates so I end up in battles with tier 1s all the time. Just last night I was in on a match almost entirely populated by tagged tier 1 players. The feeding frenzy to get a shot in on one Cataphrack was so mind mindbogglingly ridiculous, it was impossible for me to find any open lane to take a shot through without risking hitting someone else. We were all standing out in the water with the target on shore, there were no buildings or other obstacles. And these "Experienced TEAM players" were walking in front of each others lasers fighting to get some damage score on this single mech.
On that particular match, we won and I ended up with 600 team damage! all while trying to avoid hitting others and watching them just walk into my beams!

So what is it again that Tier 5 Noob trash (That IS how you all speak of anyone who is tier 5) is doing that just doesn't happen among seasoned and tagged tier 1 experts?

Lots of player are hunting for K/D ratio and after been shot in the back while cutting clearly a continuous stream of laser missiles and bullet, they complain about it.... If the guy go in front of a mrm40 who just started to deliver... he will lost something for sure. It's just plain greed.

It happen also when you put yourself in a good position to suppress and fire the enemy, someone go directly in front of you damaging your legs at the same times....I see that all the time. You see that in seasoned players or with newbies, greed is everywhere.

Edited by Damnedtroll, 07 June 2018 - 05:39 AM.

#12 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:10 AM

View PostTheManx, on 07 June 2018 - 05:24 AM, said:

for a source on this, it was mentioned in a few posts with some further clarification but here is a post mentioning it.

https://mwomercs.com...-tiers-and-psr/

Unfortunately it would not affect someone in your situation unless you wanted to start over, it only affects brand new accounts so while there is nothing to stop you creating new accounts, even the code of conduct says multiple accounts are fine, all that would do is give you a higher tier alt account with nothing in it.

I will restate my position that PSR is only intended to try to help you find fairer matches, so trying to artificialy inflate it is pointless unless you want to boast about it.

also unless you look them up on the forums and they choose to show their tier you have no way of knowing for certain what tier someone is.

the main thing I see t1s on the forum use their tier for is to say no-one else knows what they are talking about, of course this seems to just be a few ID10Ts.

#13 Cloves

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 561 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:29 AM

You can safely ignore folks when they trash talk tier 5 players, mostly it means you are still a new player. Much of the venom comes from folks that have a poor w/l ratio and they want to blame others rather than examine the core issue. Disregard your tier as a judgment on your ability. Anyone can look at your stats on the leaderboards at any time anyway. I have mine displayed because I believe in transparency. As it stands, PGI has publicly stated tiers are to keep the experienced players away from the new, to improve the new player experience, so the system trends towards 1 over time. I believe thier statement, but they do nothing to curb those veterans from creating alts to go smacking the new players around, so I infer they are piloting a “minimum effort” course. Focus on having fun. If you only have fun on a win, focus on getting better.

#14 TheManx

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:58 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 07 June 2018 - 10:10 AM, said:

also unless you look them up on the forums and they choose to show their tier you have no way of knowing for certain what tier someone is.

the main thing I see t1s on the forum use their tier for is to say no-one else knows what they are talking about, of course this seems to just be a few ID10Ts.

That's funny, first you question my integrity by implying I couldn't know they were tier 1s and then you explain how I did know they were tier 1s. Certainly not every single one that crossed my streams was a tier 1 but many where. Perhaps a better approach might be to question how hard it would be for a tier 5 to witness a higher tier do something that higher tiers complain lower tiers do. This is just elitism at its best.

I myself want to get into a more structured /strategic play formats so tier is a huge hindrance in that regard as it is the grade by which everyone is initially measured.

The other thing I find disturbing to the long term health of the game community is that those new players that many are trashing are also your only source for replacement clan mates. How many clans have vanished from the community due to simple member attrition? Kind of like eating your own young. Tell me how challenging the integrity of those who question this thinking addresses that.

Edited by TheManx, 08 June 2018 - 07:06 AM.

#15 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:27 AM

View PostCloves, on 07 June 2018 - 10:29 AM, said:

As it stands, PGI has publicly stated tiers are to keep the experienced players away from the new, to improve the new player experience, so the system trends towards 1 over time. I believe thier statement, but they do nothing to curb those veterans from creating alts to go smacking the new players around, so I infer they are piloting a “minimum effort” course. Focus on having fun. If you only have fun on a win, focus on getting better.

You have no idea how PSR works.

#16 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:18 AM

View PostTheManx, on 08 June 2018 - 06:58 AM, said:

That's funny, first you question my integrity by implying I couldn't know they were tier 1s and then you explain how I did know they were tier 1s. Certainly not every single one that crossed my streams was a tier 1 but many where. Perhaps a better approach might be to question how hard it would be for a tier 5 to witness a higher tier do something that higher tiers complain lower tiers do. This is just elitism at its best.

I am sorry if you took that as chalenging your integrity, it was most certainly not intended as such although rereading I can see how you could have misenterprited as such so again I am sorry.

Many times I have seen someone in match claim to be tier 1 then seem to barely know how to control their mech, I was asking if you were sure they were tier 1 players and not low tier players claiming to be tier 1, I could think of no reason for someone to want to be of higher tier except ego but you provided a good one below which I had never considered.

I myself want to get into a more structured /strategic play formats so tier is a huge hindrance in that regard as it is the grade by which everyone is initially measured.

great. good luck, I just wanted you to make sure you realy did want to start over.

play can be a lot better for that sort of thing in group queue, especialy if you can field 6+ persion groups
also if this is you may want look for a faction play or competitave focused unit, they could well provide the sort of play you are looking for.

check the faction play forum to look for a unit and be sure to ask questions before signing up.

The other thing I find disturbing to the long term health of the game community is that those new players that many are trashing are also your only source for replacement clan mates. How many clans have vanished from the community due to simple member attrition? Kind of like eating your own young. Tell me how challenging the integrity of those who question this thinking addresses that.

I completely agree, I have not been arround much the last 6 months but over the years I have invested a lot of time in trying to help new players, and MWO does seem to have a helpful comunity, I realy cannot stand those people who at the end of a match ask their teammates to uninstall or some such (especialy as they are usualy the lowest scorers and are unable to accept that they made a mistake), I could understand it from 5 year olds but not adualts who the vast majority of MWOs player base seem to be.

#17 Cloves

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 561 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 05:19 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 08 June 2018 - 07:27 AM, said:

You have no idea how PSR works.
. Umm, what makes you say that? I believe I know exactly how PSR works.

#18 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:15 PM

View PostCloves, on 07 June 2018 - 10:29 AM, said:

As it stands, PGI has publicly stated tiers are to keep the experienced players away from the new, to improve the new player experience, so the system trends towards 1 over time. I believe thier statement, but they do nothing to curb those veterans from creating alts to go smacking the new players around,

All accts have a 25-50 weighted grading sequence where if you over perform you get bumped.

If you play well, like a good player does, you are in Tier 3 in 3 matches... So not with new players at all.

#19 Cloves

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 561 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:20 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 08 June 2018 - 06:15 PM, said:

All accts have a 25-50 weighted grading sequence where if you over perform you get bumped.

If you play well, like a good player does, you are in Tier 3 in 3 matches... So not with new players at all.

And how many folks are that good in thier first 3 games? I believe tier three after 3 games is largely the domain of alt accounts, not new players.

Edited by Cloves, 08 June 2018 - 06:24 PM.

#20 Anastasius Foht

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 247 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 07:18 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 08 June 2018 - 06:15 PM, said:

Just watching ur sausage fest for 5 hours, was drinkin 5 bottles of lager and smile (laugh) most of time. Best MWO stream i saw in my life, tnx for the show

Sry to said it here, but ur PM is closed

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users