Black Lanner Scouting

13 replies to this topic

#1 Remover of Obstacles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 549 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 06:13 PM

Any chance that scouting tonnage is put back to 55 tons?

Or should I just pass on the Black Lanner.

#2 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 02 November 2017 - 06:56 PM

I'd pass on it. At the very least, postpone purchasing it.

#3 Remover of Obstacles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 549 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 07:12 PM

Thanks for the post.

Too bad. Would be an interesting scout mech. Faster than a Stormcrow, but less weapons.

Probably couldn't brawl with Bushwackers, etc. anyway.

#4 FrostyBurn

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 90 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:51 PM

If you don't go for objective but just brawl the speed is secondary to armor and armament and I cant see that the Lanner would be a better choice then what we already have. Maybe better then the Shadowcat but who uses that anyway?

#5 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:55 AM

View PostFrostyBurn, on 02 November 2017 - 10:51 PM, said:

If you don't go for objective but just brawl the speed is secondary to armor and armament and I cant see that the Lanner would be a better choice then what we already have. Maybe better then the Shadowcat but who uses that anyway?

I do. In scouting. Quite a lot, actually.

Posted Image

Go on. Insinuate the Shadow Cat is not good in a brawl. Let me just grab my tea, first.... Has more podspace than the Lanner, and being 10 tons lighter is naturally a smaller target with massive amounts of jump jet ups to outmaneuver the enemy.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 03 November 2017 - 03:56 AM.

#6 InvictusLee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationStanding atop my MKII's missile pack, having a whisky and a cigar.

Posted 03 November 2017 - 11:19 PM

I actually think the lanner could kite like no body's business, which isnt a bad way to scout.

#7 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 12:30 AM

Maybe better then the Shadowcat but who uses that anyway?

the shadowcat actually gets more podspace than the black lanner. as well as being smaller and more agile.

I mean im not saying the shadowcat is great or anything. just that the black lanner is probably worse.

#8 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 08:01 PM

The lanner will be 16kph faster but the shadow cat has jump jets, the aforementioned better agility, and more pod space.

#9 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 08:16 PM

View PostDee Eight, on 05 November 2017 - 08:01 PM, said:

The lanner will be 16kph faster but the shadow cat has jump jets, the aforementioned better agility, and more pod space.

Translation: Harder to hit, easier to outmaneuver the enemy, and brings a heavier payload more suitable to a swirling brawl at the speeds the mech moves at.

3/4 of the MWO playerbase thinks the Shadow Cat is a bad mech in scouting. I can only imagine what will be their thoughts on the Black Lanner, given its inherent limitations. Not that you can even use the Black Lanner in scouting, but if you could.... Ehhh.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 05 November 2017 - 08:17 PM.

#10 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 08:35 PM

Shadow cat in scouting can bring a triple missile battery, two lasers and ECM. You have with 288 pts of armor 16.5 tons left to work with. So say you put the 18pts of armor on to equal the protection of the lanner, that's still 16 tons left. The lanner has 13 tons total at that stage.

#11 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 08:40 PM

View PostDee Eight, on 05 November 2017 - 08:35 PM, said:

Shadow cat in scouting can bring a triple missile battery, two lasers and ECM. You have with 288 pts of armor 16.5 tons left to work with. So say you put the 18pts of armor on to equal the protection of the lanner, that's still 16 tons left. The lanner has 13 tons total at that stage.

And I don't even bother with the ECM in scouting. Once the inevitable brawl happens, that fourth ASRM6 is worth its weight in californium. My personal ride carries four ASRM6 and 2 ERSLas as backups, for example. Certain pieces of equipment like ECM are of limited value unless you intend to avoid combat entirely in scouting. Lanner with maxed armor, minus a few points in the head, puts it at 11.5 tons of free pod space. 10.5 if you insist on that ECM. Most of the guns are in the arms, so that makes it rather difficult to save tonnage by shaving those. :\

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 05 November 2017 - 08:41 PM.

#12 WolfSpine Vickers

• PipPip
  • The Decimator
  • The Decimator
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:55 PM

DOA only be usable in Scouting and some Invasion maps ... if scouting was 55tons for clans I would more than likely buy it

#13 FrostyBurn

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 90 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 09 November 2017 - 11:02 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 03 November 2017 - 03:55 AM, said:

I do. In scouting. Quite a lot, actually.

Posted Image

Go on. Insinuate the Shadow Cat is not good in a brawl. Let me just grab my tea, first.... Has more podspace than the Lanner, and being 10 tons lighter is naturally a smaller target with massive amounts of jump jet ups to outmaneuver the enemy.

I love my Shadowcat and it can really pack a punch so you can do great things in it. But it is a little bit low on armor so if you are not great in it then you should probably not bring it to scouting. But hey people can be great in all sorts of mechs. I was speaking more generally. For the masses a Nova would probably be a better choice.

Although I'm pretty tempted now to call it a crap mech only to troll you ;)

Edited by FrostyBurn, 09 November 2017 - 11:03 PM.

#14 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 08:31 AM

View PostWolfSpine Vickers, on 09 November 2017 - 03:55 PM, said:

DOA only be usable in Scouting and some Invasion maps ... if scouting was 55tons for clans I would more than likely buy it

If it was...nobody would buy it for scouting other than a handful of people. They'd use crows again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users