- - - - -

Clan Assualt

13 replies to this topic

#1 Feezou

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:24 AM

I'm looking for a good assault mech. My two main options I am considering as of now:

Highlander IIC
Mad Cat MKII

Mainly, I want a 90 ton mech that isn't too slow, but isn't too weak and can tank fire. It can also carry a decent amount of firepower. I'm open to any other suggestions for assault mechs, too.

#2 November Juliet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:27 AM

Mad Cat MK2 Hero mech.

#3 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:40 AM

That's like the choice between a wooden sword and a Katana.

Take the Mad Cat II for heavens sake.

#4 Feezou

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:07 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 07 November 2017 - 08:40 AM, said:

That's like the choice between a wooden sword and a Katana.

Take the Mad Cat II for heavens sake.

Well, that was fast.

#5 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:32 AM

Marauder IIC.

#6 Feezou

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:44 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 07 November 2017 - 09:32 AM, said:

Marauder IIC.

See, I was considering that too.

#7 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:48 AM

the Mad Cat MKII is not available for cbills or MC yet, at current they can only be obtained by buying the Mech pack, they release for MC in January and Cbills in Feburary
If that is not an issue what do you want to use it for, may seem like a silly question but without knowing what you want it is dificualt to make sugestions

if I had to choose I would go with the Mad Cat MK2 as that fits my playstyle and preferances a lot better than the slow tank that is the Highlander IIC

the Mad Cat MKII has 1 more hardpoint than the Highlander IIC, and on average its hardpoints are higher on the Mech

the Highlander has stronger internal structure than the Mad Cat MKII but the MCII should spread damage better due to its body shape

The Mad Cat MKII maxes out at 72kph (assuming max engine and no skills) and the Highlander maxes out at 58.5, however the XL400 the MCII can take is a lot heavier than the 330 the Highlander IIC can bring this means a top speed Highlander has 13 more tons for weapons and equipment than a max engine Mad Cat MKII, but as both are battlemechs you can choose the engine size you want, so if you want more firepower and less speed on a MCII you can do that, but you cannot make the Highlander faster than about 62 (will all speed tweak nodes unlocked) due to its comparatively low engin cap.

As for the Marauder IIC it looks like a less balistic Mad Cat MKII, I have played the MAD IIC so can recomend it based on my own experiances piloting it, if you want balistic arms like the Mad Cat MKII look at the -D which also has ECM or the Scorch hero Mech. also worth pointing out the MAD-IIC despite being 5 tons lighter always has more payload space for the same speed compaired to the MCII, and is capable of a higher top speed

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 08 November 2017 - 06:54 AM.

#8 Brizna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:56 AM

Basically:
Mad Cat II if you don't mind buying the mech pack.
MAD IIC if you don't want to spend $/€.
Highlander IIC if you are looking for a challenge.

#9 Feezou

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:09 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 08 November 2017 - 03:48 AM, said:

the Mad Cat MKII is not available for cbills or MC yet, at current they can only be obtained by buying the Mech pack, they release for MC in January and Cbills in Feburary
If that is not an issue what do you want to use it for, may seem like a silly question but without knowing what you want it is dificualt to make sugestions

if I had to choose I would go with the Mad Cat MK2 as that fits my playstyle and preferances a lot better than the slow tank that is the Highlander IIC

the Mad Cat MKII has 1 more hardpoint than the Highlander IIC, and on average its hardpoints are higher on the Mech

the Highlander has stronger internal structure than the Mad Cat MKII but the MCII should spread damage better due to its body shape

The Mad Cat MKII maxes out at 72kph (assuming max engine and no skills) and the Highlander maxes out at 58.5, however the XL400 the MCII can take is a lot heavier than the 330 the Highlander IIC can bring this means a top speed Highlander has 13 more tons for weapons and equipment than a max engine Mad Cat MKII, but as both are battlemechs you can choose the engine size you want, so if you want more firepower and less speed on a MCII you can do that, but you cannot make the Highlander faster than about 62 (will all speed tweak nodes unlocked) due to its comparatively low engin cap.

As for the Marauder IIC it looks like a less balistic Mad Cat MKII, I have played the MAD IIC so can recomend it based on my own experiances piloting it, if you want balistic arms like the Mad Cat MKII look at the -D which also has ECM or the Scorch hero Mech. also worth pointing out the MAD-IIC despite being 5 tons lighter always has more payload space for the same speed compaired to the MCII, and is capable of a higher top speed

I guess I'll go for the Mad Cat MKII. I do like the strong structure in the Highlander IIC.

#10 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:16 PM

Highlander IIC-C. Its the assault I learned how to 'git gud' in.

#11 Brizna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:59 AM

View PostAthom83, on 08 November 2017 - 07:16 PM, said:

Highlander IIC-C. Its the assault I learned how to 'git gud' in.

HGN-IIC-C was once a very decent mech with 2cLPL + 2 cUAC10, since then:

It has lost the +8 armor to all hit boxes (Incuding rear hit boxes so +16 to torsos) quirk
cLPL lost a lot of range
cUAC10 jam duration was substantially increased

So now HGN-IIC-C lies down there with the rest of crap mechs.

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:41 PM

View PostFeezou, on 07 November 2017 - 09:07 AM, said:

Well, that was fast.

Of the choices, the Marauder IIC is more versatile.

The Highlander IIC is a good mech, but it has a number of different systems that requires some advanced game knowledge (particularly in the control scheme and how weapons work) to really take advantage of it. If your knowledge is basic, the Highlander IIC is a walking coffin. If your knowledge is pretty advanced, you're using one of the only Clan assault mechs whose potential rivals the Kodiak and may even surpass it in some uses.

It is worth noting that most players do not become fluent with the game's control potential, as evidenced by most meta resorting to laser vomit and single enemy engagements, where mechs could actually actively (and effectively) engage two targets at once (and can engage up to 3 enemies simultaneously). (I personally love taking on superior odds and coming out on top, there's where I get my kicks).

The Mad Cat MKII I cannot comment on. Many seem to like it. I do not own one, but as an opponent I find it to be a very fragile machine with a lot of deadly potential...made of glass and given a funny walk. My personal opinion on it is fairly low. Its potential for advanced controls is also non-existent due to the lack of lower arm actuators. We'll see if my opinion changes when I get one for cbills.

Edited by Koniving, 09 November 2017 - 12:44 PM.

#13 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:45 PM

Warhawk Prime ... because nothing solves problems like 4 ERPPC´s to the face ;)

Joke aside, take that MadCat MKII, way easier to perform in it .

#14 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:04 PM

Given enough skill tree, the 4 ER PPC Masakari (Warhawk) is actually seriously effective.

(Even more so if you do not fire them simultaneously, not even in pairs.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users