Not So, Broken Legs

16 replies to this topic

Poll: Leg Damage (34 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to see 'legged' mech graphics improved.

1. Yes - show the damaged appendage. (29 votes [85.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 85.29%

2. No - I like the current leg animation. (5 votes [14.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Peace2U

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:55 AM

You guys at PGI have provided us with visually stunning and immersive gameplay.
I have been playing almost from the beginning, and have seen the graphics evolve to the current state.
Don't stop now.
Please fix the leg damage graphics.

In the current game graphics, when an arm is destroyed, it goes flying off.
However, when a leg is destroyed, It just causes the enemy to slow down to a 'limp'.
I'm not asking the designers to have a mech hopping on one leg like in MW2 (it would be hilarious, though), but it would be nice to have some enhanced graphics of the damaged component. (especially if the enemy is not locked or under ECM)
If a leg component is destroyed, it should show physical damage, or at least be sparking and smoking like mad(or both).
*The same could be said for torso damage.
Currently, when the torso is destroyed, the attached arm falls off, but at a glance, you can't tell if it's just arm damage, or torso (until the enemy fires weapons from the armless side)

Believe in yourself.
Like Rob Schneider says - - - "You Can Do It - - - - -"

Peace All

Edited by Peace2U, 14 November 2017 - 07:11 PM.

#2 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:47 PM

Sounds great.Posted Image

#3 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:54 AM

Consider me in SUPPORT as well of your thoughts. Mechs with broken legs should hobble like what was shown in the "MechWarrior 3" Intro Movie. Just for the example...
"Mechwarrior 3: Opening cinematic" @ https://youtu.be/mMlJQ0G3zk4?t=2m1s...

...and skipped ahead to just before the right moment so you can quickly view what it looks like. :)

Extra Edit: Well, I tried to skip it ahead, but it won't behave. You'll need to jump to about 2 minutes in to see what I'm talking about, sorry. :(

~Mr. D. V. "So much useful graphical awesome to be had here..." Devnull

[Edit by Post Author to fix a failure to display the video...]

Edited by D V Devnull, 08 November 2017 - 02:59 AM.

#4 Peace2U

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:06 PM

Thanks for the time you took to add the video clip, DV.
This is a good example of identifying a damaged appendage at a quick glance.
In the heat of battle, you don't have time to asses the component condition by reviewing tactical data (assuming you have the target locked).
And if the mech is under ECM cover, you won't get even that data.
But if a component was missing, or smoking badly and sparking, you know instantly where the worst damage is.
If the programmers simply added code to cause the destroyed component to emit smoke/sparks, they would not have to reprogram the actual movement engine for the mech, which would be a major pain.
Eventually, we can have hobbling mechs, if the programming gods(and finance gods) allow it.

Peace

#5 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:27 PM

not going to happen ... they have enough unfinished issues with animation LOD that at no point will they start redoing what theyve already done ... I mean maybe .... after the code has become stagnant for about 1,200 days .... they might refresh it ... and something else will be broken, instantly .... because ... thats how it goes ...

and adding particle effects, that are already present for the situations described, is a terrible idea

#6 Peace2U

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:00 PM

I appreciate your opinion, NB.
My purpose for the post was to find out if the community would like to see an improvement in the damaged leg graphics, or effects.
If we get enough positive feedback from the Poll and comments, do you think the developers would consider this as a reasonable tweak to their graphics?
If not, what do you think it would take to garner their attention to this issue?

Peace

#7 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:51 PM

Just make it blown off and make the mech stand still or fall...

#8 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:30 AM

View PostDamnedtroll, on 09 November 2017 - 05:51 PM, said:

Just make it blown off and make the mech stand still or fall...

In other words, take away a player's ability to barely limp away with their life? As in, take away their last fighting chance? Also as in, take away the chance of a friendly's (or, an enemy's) teammate to save their comrade? I hate to say it, but from looking at it on both sides of the matter, I have to say "No" to you, Damnedtroll, as it should be possible to learn and survive after a mistake has been made, just like any other GAME. :angry:

~Mr. D. V. "I swear, that's one of the most lopsided postings I've had to reply to." Devnull

#9 Peace2U

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:41 AM

In MW2, if you destroyed an enemy leg, they would just stand still, or could 'hop' (using gyros to keep upright) or jump-jet move, somewhat.
Either way, I don't thing that would go over well in this current rendition of battletech.
It would not seem fair to take out a single, low armor component to effectively disable a mech.

However, D.T., your comment made me think of another twist that would have an opposite effect on the player base.
What if ----- after a leg is destroyed and the mech is crippled - - - the reactor no longer has to provide power or heat generation from motivation, so it amps-up the weaponry using the reserve power, effectively increasing damage output while you are a sitting duck - - - - (imagine having a fair chance to melt the player who crippled you before you ascend to mech heaven)
--- sorry, must be time for my meds - - -
Have fun playing.
Peace

#10 Vidarion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 10:40 AM

At the very least it should be obvious enough that you don't have teammates shouting "No! Not that leg! Shoot the OTHER left leg!" when you're trying to take out the last remaining leg.

#11 Peace2U

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:58 PM

Yes, Vid, I have seen this many times.
Broken leg graphics, or effects, would alleviate that fiasco on the battlefield.
If the programmers find the incentive to implement this, let's hope they apply the changes to destroyed torso's as well.
I would like to thank everyone who participated in this discussion.
Peace All

#12 Mechwarrior4670152

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:43 PM

I would vote yes, but the phrasing on the poll itself shows a lack of ability to understand why anyone would vote no.

Even if you do not agree with it, to phrase it like that is just being an ***

#13 Peace2U

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:09 PM

I agree with your assessment, WW.
Guess I was being somewhat biased.
Will attempt to reword the poll per your recommendation.

Peace All

#14 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:22 AM

View PostPeace2U, on 10 November 2017 - 02:41 AM, said:

It would not seem fair to take out a single, low armor component to effectively disable a mech.

Low armor if you strip it... it's still stronger than a side torso.... Just saying that's it's way to easy now to survive with one leg. Making it easier to see witch one is broken is clearly a good step in the right decision but i would say 20kph max speed...

#15 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:56 PM

seems to me, the only real reason anyone would want that leg 'blown off' is because they cant tell which one they've already destroyed, and its doing their head in shooting the wrong component .... but ... if your aiming for legs ... then you've already lost most engagements ....

#16 Mechwarrior4670152

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:22 PM

View PostPeace2U, on 14 November 2017 - 07:09 PM, said:

I agree with your assessment, WW.
Guess I was being somewhat biased.
Will attempt to reword the poll per your recommendation.

Thank you. Posted Image

I voted yes now, though I would not be upset if they did not change it either.

#17 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 03:19 AM

View PostDamnedtroll, on 15 November 2017 - 05:22 AM, said:

but i would say 20kph max speed...

Sorry, but again, nope. 20 Kph is too slow. You give me the impression that you need to learn how to line up and track your weapon firing properly. The current rule, anyway, is "On breakage of leg, speed is 50% of max, or 40 Kph, whichever is slower.", resulting in any mech slower than 81 Kph being reduced below 40 Kph in Base Speed. In example, the DWF (Dire Wolf) drops all the way to 24 Kph (possibly slightly less or more, depending on how much "Speed Retention" that you have skilled onto the Mech) when it loses a leg. While it may be a pain to try to take out Light Mechs still, they actually need the speed for their survivability, otherwise the TTK (Time To Kill) would be far too short. We don't need to end up with MWO being a game where nobody pilots something other than Heavy or Assault Mechs all the time. Heck, we also don't need Light Mech Pilots coming in here and driving us all mad about being turned into clubbed seals. <_<

By the way, I'm normally found piloting something at least a Medium or bigger. So don't you go around getting any big wrong ideas about me. :rolleyes:

~Mr. D. V. "Well, at least I see what's wrong with this guy now..." Devnull

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users