C-Ermed Vs Small Pulse Lasers

6 replies to this topic

#1 Pippykins

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:29 PM

Can someone help me understand the real difference between mediums and small pulse lasers? I'm trying to decide between the two for scout brawling and can fit six of either, but I'm not sure what's more appropriate. the heat on the two seems fairly similar, and the damage on the mediums are quite a bit higher, so when are small pulses worth taking over c-ermeds?

#2 Broganos

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 128 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 11 November 2017 - 01:18 AM

Generally, for brawling, I would take the small pulse. The mediums have longer range and more damage, but are much hotter and fire slower. Scouting tends to turn into close range brawls, so heat efficiency to keep up a sustained rate of fire is important. The small pulse lasers also give you more damage per second. Pulse lasers also have a quicker duration so it is harder for people to twist and spread the damage.

Smurfys is good for a comparison of weapons: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/equipment

Hope that helps Posted Image

Edited by Broganos, 11 November 2017 - 01:22 AM.

#3 Jay Leon Hart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 02:17 AM

Clan SPLs used to be the premier brawling laser, back when they did 6 damage. Right now, I would take 6 ERSL (more damage & range) or 6 HSL (much more damage) instead, if you can fit the extra 3 tons saved as 3 more DHS to help cool them.

#4 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 11 November 2017 - 02:52 AM

cERML fire a beam lasting 1.25 seconds, if you can hold that beam on target for the full 1.25 seconds you do 7 damage, it then takes 4.5 seconds for the laser to recharge so you can fire again, 1 shot every 5.75 seconds for 7 damage out to 400m with the damage then reducing with distance until 800m where it does no damage

cSPL fire a beam lasting 0.6 seconds, if you hold that on target for the full .6 of a second you do 4 damage, it then takes 2.4 seconds to recharge, so that is 4 damage every 3 seconds at 165m, past 165 the damage starts reducing until 295m where it does no damage

Clan SPL does 1.333 damage per second including recharge time
Clan ERML does 1.21 damage per second

the advantages of cSPL are, about 20% less heat per second, and shorter burn time making it easier to focus the damage, and more dps due to shorter burn time and recharge time.
the advantage of the cERML are more than double the range meaning it is more likely you will be able to fire from cover, and more likely to have the range to hit your target.

SPL is a brawling or anti light Mech weapon.
ERML is a general purpose weapon probably leaning towards fire support as its main role.

if you are still unsure which you want the ERML is probably the better choice as it is useful in more situations, the SPL is only useful in close combat, brawling or to chase off Light Mechs.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 11 November 2017 - 02:54 AM.

#5 Daggett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 November 2017 - 03:15 AM

For scout brawling i would take either er-smalls, heavy smalls or pulse-smalls, but not the ERLM.
With the latest cooldown-nerf the ERML simply lacks dps and it's also very hot.

So mediums are more for mid-range poking, in a typical scout brawl however the smaller lasers are more powerful.

Edited by Daggett, 11 November 2017 - 04:36 AM.

#6 Pippykins

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:35 AM

looks like small pulse is what I need. The most optimal would probably be er smalls or heavys but I don't have enough slots to make use of 3 tons. it's primarily a c streak boat with enough ammo already, and def no room for 3 heatsinks. I'll play around with it but small pulses seem right for this mech.

#7 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:45 AM

medium pulse is where its at for scouting IMO

6 medium pulse hunchie IIC is beast

Edited by Khobai, 13 November 2017 - 03:45 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users