8 replies to this topic

#1 Tereva

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 120 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:05 PM

Hi all,

So for the first time I decided to give CW a try. I am currently pledge to FRR in probation (9 matches to go).
I heard that CW was very different than QP, but man, I was not prepared for how different it is.

Did only one match (we were defending), and did decently (there was a couple of guys behind me on the scoreboard) despite the fact that my deck was setup for QP.

So, my questions are, what mech should I work on for CW?
In this forum there is a link to a spreadsheet that lists the following as the best options:
GHR-5H 2LPL + 5ML WHM-6D 2LPL + 5ML WHM-BW 3x UAC5

in the match I did, I saw quite a bit of KingCrab, Atlas, Marauders and Griffins for example, so I am confused.
Where do you advise me to start?

Long live FRR

T.

#2 C H E E K I E Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 540 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:46 PM

You might have been in a game with a lot of other pugs, However those 3 builds are sub-optimal, Granted each player has a different play-style, If you are trying to do range trading VS clans you want a big heavy alpha just like they do. Every time you poke to trade you will lose the over-all damage, however if you twist and your shots are more precise you can win. In both those mech's i prefer 3 LPL/4ER-ML, which is strictly for trading. If your doing more of a brawl i bring 3 LPL/3MPL. It also depends on how your match goes, and what map it is. If your vs'ing a team gen-rushing, than having front loaded tonnage works the best, because usually gen-rushers use big mechs to dunk it quick. So having 3 heavies and a medium is not the best, thats when having 2 assults and a heavy and a light is good. If you plan on using every mech, because the game will be drawn out to 46-48 kills, then you cant beat having 3 heavies and a heavy medium, or 4 ligher heavies. CW is a game about knowing the map and knowing the mode then picking the best mechs/modes for them.

#3 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 12 November 2017 - 05:02 PM

C H E E Ks has been around the scene for a while and I will corrobarate his general assessment.

Honestly, I have 4 base drop decks, two are for pug drops, two are for 8+ man drops. Each scenario is basically one deck for hot maps, one for cold maps and I'll tweak them on the fly as needed for map/mode situations. The point is that if you are dropping solo, you probably want to play a bit differently than when you drop with a group.

In a group you can coordinate waaaay better and have concrete goals for each wave.

If you have pugs, you are lucky to get 50% tactical participation on the regular and more often than not you be scratching your head as 2-3 players yolo, then scream at the rest of the team for not following (when they didn't say a word before they charged) and you'll have an Urbie in the back trying to snipe with small pulses and finally, that one guy that is determined to make it through the drop without dying once, ignoring the team.

My advice on those drops is to focus on your trading skills as herding cats is a talent few possess and fewer have the patience to excercise.

Edited by MovinTarget, 12 November 2017 - 05:02 PM.

#4 Tereva

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 120 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 05:02 PM

View PostC H E E K I E Z, on 12 November 2017 - 04:46 PM, said:

those 3 builds are sub-optimal, Granted each player has a different play-style...

Gotcha about not playing peek a boo against clan's mechs. And gotcha need to focus on Heavies and mediums.
What kind mech & variant should I bring on then? Is the Orion sturdy enough?

View PostC H E E K I E Z, on 12 November 2017 - 04:46 PM, said:

CW is a game about knowing the map and knowing the mode then picking the best mechs/modes for them.

Not there yet, I need to learn this. I will be honest when the match started, I was like "holy smoke, a new map!!" Posted Image

T.

#5 C H E E K I E Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 540 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:29 PM

Like, for innersphere i literally probably have about 60 mechs i rotate around for only FW, depending on the Map/Mode/if i can scout what team i am playing. Attacking/Defending on Tiaga/Grim/Hellbore, i will 90% take my LPL/ERML mechs, On the hotter maps like Sulfurous/Vitric forge ill bring my ppc/uac5 warhammers, or ac5 black widdow. The only CW map you ever bring ERLL's on is Boreal Vault. No other map to ever bring extreme range (that is in the new maps you have never played)

#6 C H E E K I E Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 540 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:50 PM

hI DEUS, Nightbird and tarl ;3

#7 Kaoba

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 214 posts
  • LocationMordor

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:05 PM

just one tip, you can use LPL for shor range trading (aka defense or maps like river city), but you want a mix of ERLL/LL +ERMEDS for mid range trading against clans, LPL is not as good after the nerfs, plus you get tonnage for heatsinks, speed, LFE etc..... example build= Warhammer 6D 3LL+6 Ermeds (althought this one is risky, i like it), but in general thats the idea you are better with a combination of LL+Ermeds

Edited by WayTooSexy, 12 November 2017 - 10:08 PM.

#8 Tereva

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 120 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:07 PM

View PostC H E E K I E Z, on 12 November 2017 - 07:29 PM, said:

Like, for innersphere i literally probably have about 60 mechs i rotate around for only FW, depending on the Map/Mode/if i can scout what team i am playing. Attacking/Defending on Tiaga/Grim/Hellbore, i will 90% take my LPL/ERML mechs, On the hotter maps like Sulfurous/Vitric forge ill bring my ppc/uac5 warhammers, or ac5 black widdow. The only CW map you ever bring ERLL's on is Boreal Vault. No other map to ever bring extreme range (that is in the new maps you have never played)

Ok, I guess I have some homework to do here.
But gotcha, I need to bring LPL/ERML with as much armor as possible
This being said, I do not have 60 mechs, so it will be faster to select ;)

So far I enlisted those guys,

CTF-IM 3x LB 10 X (I know this is not really a laser boat :D)
TDR-9S 3x LPL and 2x ERML
BWS-X2 2xAC10 (not a laser boat again)
AS7-S 2 LPL + 2 ERML + 4 SRM6

I have also on the bench the following,
BWS-P2 6xSRM4 (nice DPS but a bit short range )
ON1P 2xML, AC10 and 2 ASRM6 on the bench
FS-E

I will probably switch the AS7-s for the FS-E when I attack

View PostC H E E K I E Z, on 12 November 2017 - 07:50 PM, said:

hI DEUS, Nightbird and tarl ;3

You lost me here

Shoot straight

T.

#9 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:17 AM

Welp, you have a leg up on many others as you don't seem to be bring LRMs ;)

Before anyone jumps on me, they have a place, but not solo dropping in FP.

Do note that you can "explore" any map in the game using the testing grounds. You may not get the full context (i.e. you won't see gen placements or turrets) but you can walk around and familiarize yourself with the lay of the land, the ambient temperature and the kind of cover you have.

That last point comes in handy as you take stock in the kind of mechs to bring. Some mechs are "hill humpers" where you have generally high arm/torso hardpoints and can crest a hill, fire, then back off quickly. These are not as common as "side pokers" where you can stack most of your weapons on one side of the mech and pop out sideways from a building/rock, unload, pull back.

And again, if you are dropping solo, don't feel bad about not "sharing armor" if there is not discernible structure/order on your team. Team play is way more gratifying, but unless you are a cat whisperer don't expect troops to rally. If you drop and end up with a 6+ man group, by all means stick with them and follow their lead.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users