How To "fix" Polar Highlands

205 replies to this topic

#1 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:40 AM

I just had an idea, what if we made Polar Highlands an array of frozen radio telescopes? Just observatories scattered all over as LRM-adequate cover, yet would still cater to the pros of the map.

I mean look at the edges of the Polar Highlands, lots of satellite dishes everywhere.

Posted Image

Edited by The6thMessenger, 17 November 2017 - 03:29 PM.

#2 Paigan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:05 AM

I like the idea.

With the slight disclaimer that there is no need to "fix" Polar Highlands.
There are trenches and hills for covered approaches.
You can outrange LRMs (or as I like to call it: Lazar Highlands).
You can equip AMS (imagine a lance of brawlers, each with an AMS, everyone covering each other while they push).
Only if one refuses every single tactically viable option and only wants to mindlessly storm forward into brawl range, then PH is a "problem".

But still, having dishes as cover would be a nice things. The only question is how many of them. If they are too many, it's just a giant brawler map. But that could easily be balanced.

#3 Roadbuster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,437 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:09 AM

Or...

wait for it....

People could stop cowering behind a hill, until one enemy gets to the flank, has LoS and Lurmageddon starts.
Posted Image

#4 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:14 AM

No. I am a super spud potato and have been killed by LRM's on Polar only a hand full of times and they were my fault.

As you'all have said to me, over and over again: "Git GuD" and use what you have avilable in-game to your advantage!

#5 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:17 AM

Well, that's why it's "Fix", not just Fix.

#6 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:36 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 14 November 2017 - 05:40 AM, said:

I just had an idea, what if we made Polar Highlands an array of frozen radio telescopes? Just observatories scattered all over as LRM-adequate cover.

I mean look at the edges of the Polar Highlands, lots of satellite dishes everywhere.

What would be the point? I mean other than something for bad players to hide behind the whole match...

#7 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:48 AM

View PostWolfways, on 14 November 2017 - 06:36 AM, said:

What would be the point? I mean other than something for bad players to hide behind the whole match...

The beauty of the dish thing is that it is an excellent cover against LRMs, but a crappy cover against direct fire.
Try to "hide" behind a rather small dish socket all match and you're just dead.

Edited by Paigan, 14 November 2017 - 06:49 AM.

#8 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:10 AM

View PostPaigan, on 14 November 2017 - 06:48 AM, said:

The beauty of the dish thing is that it is an excellent cover against LRMs, but a crappy cover against direct fire.
Try to "hide" behind a rather small dish socket all match and you're just dead.

So...it's pointless. There's no need for "excellent cover against LRM's". We already have ECM, AMS, teamwork, the masses of cover on nearly every map, and of course the fact that LRM's are incredibly weak.

#9 Felbombling

• 2,973 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:21 AM

Polar Highlands is a necessary evil for the game. I love that map, even though I have been blown to bits by LRM spam on in a couple of times. You get Narc'd on that map, it is pure evil. A flanker can also spell your doom with good spotting.

Personally, I'd love PGI to make a grasslands version of it. I believe it has a hand in diversifying builds somewhat.

#10 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:45 AM

View PostWolfways, on 14 November 2017 - 07:10 AM, said:

So...it's pointless. There's no need for "excellent cover against LRM's". We already have ECM, AMS, teamwork, the masses of cover on nearly every map, and of course the fact that LRM's are incredibly weak.

It's not pointless.
As I wrote myself above: PH does not need to be "fixed" regarding LRMs. There is already cover, but (admittedly) a little slim. Some dishes would definitely be a nice addition, but still not be too much so people could easily hide behind it. Btw: most other maps actually DO provide lots of cover for people to hide behind. Are all other maps "pointless" in your opinion?
Your arguments give the impression that you are just against for the sake of being against it. Fear of change, wanting to feel superior or whatever.

Bottom line is: PH does not need the dishes to be "fixed", but they would be a nice addition to the admittedly slim terrain cover.

Edited by Paigan, 14 November 2017 - 07:45 AM.

#11 Vincent DIFrancesco

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 167 posts
  • LocationHiding behind a rock, waiting for the "rain" to stop.

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:56 AM

Just add some big rocks to it.

Not because I fear “teh LURMS.” I just find big, open maps to be a bit dull and one-dimensional.

#12 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:01 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 14 November 2017 - 05:40 AM, said:

I just had an idea, what if we made Polar Highlands an array of frozen radio telescopes? Just observatories scattered all over as LRM-adequate cover.

View PostPaigan, on 14 November 2017 - 07:45 AM, said:

It's not pointless.
As I wrote myself above: PH does not need to be "fixed" regarding LRMs. There is already cover, but (admittedly) a little slim. Some dishes would definitely be a nice addition, but still not be too much so people could easily hide behind it. Btw: most other maps actually DO provide lots of cover for people to hide behind. Are all other maps "pointless" in your opinion?
Your arguments give the impression that you are just against for the sake of being against it. Fear of change, wanting to feel superior or whatever.

Bottom line is: PH does not need the dishes to be "fixed", but they would be a nice addition to the admittedly slim terrain cover.

Don't "fix" Polar Highlands. Build a new map.

Edited by Mystere, 14 November 2017 - 08:04 AM.

#13 R Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:03 AM

Polar Highlands has always been a stupid map. Just delete it from the game.

#14 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:34 AM

View PostPaigan, on 14 November 2017 - 07:45 AM, said:

It's not pointless.

I meant it's pointless to add something to the map that isn't needed. I don't think the other maps are pointless so I'm not sure what gave you that impression.
I do think the maps are crap though. Tiny arenas instead of battlefields.

I'm against it because it isn't needed, and if it was done it would take pgi months and take away resources that could be used on things that are needed (even if pgi seem to be at a loss to what that is).
MWO barely has content as it is. Why change a single map that is fine?
Also, the cover on PH is not "slim". The trenches cover almost the entire map.

Honestly I'd like to see more variety on PH (more like a spread out Alpine), but tbh I'd prefer that pgi used resources to make another map...or anything.

View PostKiran Yagami, on 14 November 2017 - 08:03 AM, said:

Polar Highlands has always been a stupid map. Just delete it from the game.

Hmm, I think HPG is a terrible map. Maybe that should be deleted too.
Anybody else want to add maps they don't like? Maybe we can get them all deleted...

#15 ocular tb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 542 posts
  • LocationCaught Somewhere in Time

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:50 AM

Yes, please. I’d be okay with adding some more objects whether they’re buildings, rocks, satellite arrays, etc... pretty much anything would be fine with me.

#16 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:59 AM

Just have it have massive blizzards that interfere with targeting, lock-ons ,etc.

#17 Xavori

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 792 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:11 AM

Ya know, it's kinda like vaccination...

If everyone gets AMS on every mech they could, LRM's wouldn't even be a threat to the few mechs that can't run AMS.

But apparently AMS cause mechs to get autism...

#18 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:14 AM

Maybe we'll see more AMS mechs for a short while following the release of the new loyalty Cute Fox?

#19 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:18 PM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 14 November 2017 - 10:59 AM, said:

Just have it have massive blizzards that interfere with targeting, lock-ons ,etc.

Or we can get smoke/chaff consumables for exactly that purpose. And we can use them in other maps to boot! Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 14 November 2017 - 01:19 PM.

#20 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:21 PM

View PostMystere, on 14 November 2017 - 01:18 PM, said:

Or we can get smoke/chaff consumables for exactly that purpose. And we can use them in other maps to boot! Posted Image

I don't like consumables.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users