Performance issues Frame Rate

7 replies to this topic

#1 MeltedSnowgirl

• PipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 07:02 AM

1: I know my computer is somewhat potato. Intel i5-3470 3.2ghz 8gb RAM, NVIDIA 690 GTI. I have all required updates, my graphics drivers have just been updated and my OS is up to date.

The thing is, I haven't had any real performance issues except in River City for a while now, either streaming or not streaming. Last night, I had massive frame rate drops on all maps, and I wasn't streaming. Today, while I was streaming the game was nearly unplayable, framerate dropping to the point where it almost triggers my motion sickness.

I *know* I need an upgrade, but, this is a very recent issue. Is there any other information you guys need in order to pinpoint possible performance issues? I'm going from 50-60fps right down to 8 or 9 FPS on all maps, yes, even on Polar Highlands.

#2 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,658 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 16 November 2017 - 07:38 AM

Double check System settings but first, reboot computer!!!
  • Control Panel/Settings, System -Power, Power Options High Performance
  • Nvidia control panel, Power Management mode Max performance
  • Win10 with the recent Creator update - Settings, Gaming - disable all Xbox settings
  • Physical system - can of compressed air - clean out them dust bunnies from the heatsinks!!!!
  • Reboot computer once more!!
And if using Windows 10, you may want to look into disabling Windows from updating drivers for your GPU and such. I ran into an issue a few months ago that was related to Win10 updating my GPU driver. I had originally disabled that but an Update had reactivated it.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 16 November 2017 - 07:41 AM.

#3 Mister Bob Dobalina

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:58 AM

I can relate to the observed issue as I have too observed a hefty framedrop on most maps compared to pre-patch. Some of the maps are not just dropping the average fps though. I have seen a general fps instability on the maps, most notably on the new Oasis map. I have a pretty tricked out rig (i7 7700k@5GHz stable, M.2 SSD, 32GB DDR4@3200 MHz, GTX 1080 Ti@1900 MHz stable, gSynced 2560x1440 @≤144HZ) so perfomance should not be an issue there. I am up to date with any other driver and I use TuneUp Utilities to disable unwanted background task. Right after the patch I had fps jumps between 25 and 125 fps every other second. I even had choppy animation in the hanger screen when I rotated my Mechs. Usually my rig runs between 100-140 Hz at max settings. I uninstalled and reinstalled the NVIDIA drivers and experience and that seemed to have taken the edge off. At least I don't experience massive fps dives anymore. But every match I have at least 4-5 times a 40-50 fps dive and following warping. Logging network and SSD traffic did not reveal any communication bottleneck, so I am a bit without ideas here as well.
All the usual checkboxes ate ticked: no automatic sw update, no sw update sharing, stuff like chrome background tasks disabled. Heck I even made a new loadtest to make sure my system never hits 70 (CPU) / 75 (GPU) even under full longtime load (14 fans and 4 of them on a 14cm radiator, don't ask). I don't think that there is a difference between the standalone vs. the steam version as I reckon it's only about packaging. But I am considering it to maybe just make a fresh install instead of having a client that has been updated since steam launch day 1. On the other hand I could try to kill my pilots folder and see wether there is a difference. If anyone has experience with refreshing the pilots folder to fix issues I'd love to hear it. I would really really really love not to have to remap the whole keyboard. Lefty gamers like me know the pain to basically remap a whole keyboard and not just a few keys here and there.

View PostMeltedSnowgirl, on 16 November 2017 - 07:02 AM, said:

1: I know my computer is somewhat potato. Intel i5-3470 3.2ghz 8gb RAM, NVIDIA 690 GTI. I have all required updates, my graphics drivers have just been updated and my OS is up to date.

The thing is, I haven't had any real performance issues except in River City for a while now, either streaming or not streaming. Last night, I had massive frame rate drops on all maps, and I wasn't streaming. Today, while I was streaming the game was nearly unplayable, framerate dropping to the point where it almost triggers my motion sickness.

I *know* I need an upgrade, but, this is a very recent issue. Is there any other information you guys need in order to pinpoint possible performance issues? I'm going from 50-60fps right down to 8 or 9 FPS on all maps, yes, even on Polar Highlands.

At that point I consider this issue to be something systematic rather than your system suddenly having become too "potatoe" to play anymore. Some of the new maps have quite some lign-of-sights and particle effects that may impact lower tier CPU/GPU (Frozen, Oasis), but the game engine and with it the game is still the same.

In the NVIDIA control panel you can tinker the GPU settings further towards speed over quality as a general setting. Unfortunately I a sitting at a Mac right now, so I can't check the different toggles you might be able to flip to really squeeze the last bit out of the card.

#4 DodgerH2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 05:59 PM

Just noticed this on the Rubellite Oasis map. Two games in a row and only the second one suffered from framerate drops. First was Domination and second was Assault. Played different mechs each time also.

#5 whitelightshadow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 230 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:51 AM

Got heavy frame rate drops even after dropping graphics to low. On tourmaline alone a down to 35 frames from 100+.

Frozen city just suffered through a 13-23 fps game. Please you cant play what you can not see...

Edited by whitelightshadow, 18 November 2017 - 12:27 PM.

#6 Omaha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 559 posts
  • LocationAnywhere

Posted 18 November 2017 - 02:41 PM

I kinda find it pretty hard to believe it. I'm running a Q6600, and 2 nvidia 550ti's, with 4gb of ddr2 and I'm always well over 25 fps. I'll have some dips shortly after loading into map, flying in dropships. But the 8 or 9 FPS seem like and exaggeration. I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I think u are possibly exaggerating the situation a bit.

Perhaps there was another issue happening on that day, I dunno. Are you on a solid state, or mechanical drive? Maybe run a defrag?

To me this seems like more of an issue with the OS, I'll never upgrade to win10. to me Win 10 is a downgrade, because of all its automated crap. I prefer more manual control over my system. I've tried it out a few times on this system. But it actually led to more problems due to the way it handles automated tasks. It seems to do things out of the users control and bogs down the system at times. This is all speculation though as I can't be right there observing whats happening. I hope you can solve this issue, having framerate issues is never fun. Believe me I know. It took me a long time to find my systems sweet spot.

Edited by Omaha, 18 November 2017 - 03:24 PM.

#7 Quandoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 220 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 03:20 PM

I was used to ~200 FPS, now it drops below 40 in fights.
1080Ti, 7700K, 16GB RAM, Win10.

You broke the performance hard.

Edited by Quandoo, 18 November 2017 - 03:20 PM.

#8 Calebos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 06:49 AM

Yes this game sucks heavilly :) PGI useless noobs are pure amateurs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users