Direwhale, Kodiak, Or Mc Ii

12 replies to this topic

#1 Ebola

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 05:59 PM

OK so I am shopping for a 100 ton clan stompy machine. They all have about the same buy in price ($25 for ultraviolet, and $20 for the Kodiak, and Madcat II).

In game i frankly see more Kodiaks than the other two, but is the Direwolf really not a usefull anymore or are the others just "newer toys"

I like that the Mad cat and Kodiak have some speed capability, but I currently drive an anihillator usually so the dire whale while slower than the others is about the same speed.

#2 Trenchbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 06:18 PM

Mad Cat MkII is actually 90 tons, IIRC. And depending on your playstyle, the Kodiak or Mad Cat MKII both have high points and low points.

Edited by Catten Hart, 16 November 2017 - 06:18 PM.

#3 Bonzai VI

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 170 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 06:20 PM

The hitboxes of the Direwolf are simply not bearable. Nearly everyone can twoshot one of his sidetorsos right now and he can't do much/anything against it.

I don't like Kodiaks, but the Kodiak-3 has been a fearinducing opponent since day 1. If it's up your alley you could try that one.

Mad Cats are really strong, but that one weighs 90 tons and are not available for c-bills for now.

#4 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 05:04 PM

Generally speaking, if you like dakka the KDK-3 is still the king of dakka assaults (high mounts, and while its a walking hitbox, anyone that exposes themselves is gonna get seriously hurt. The dire has seen better days, but it is still the ONLY mech that can run 8 AC2s (if you get the hero), and it is still capable of bringing so much tonnage its a unique ride (it can also bring some of the nastiest alfa strikes, over 100 pinpoint is possible). That said, its so slow that its really hard to deal with in solo drops or any agressive strats, all it does well is defense and even there you need the team support. The MC-II is one i really like since it combines high firepower with the ability to be very mobile if you bring a large engine. Its also the most meta friendly at this point in time since it can do gauss vomit crazy well, and even the missile versions are pretty solid if you like ATM or SRM. Obviously the deathstrike is the best thing there since its a 100% upgrade over the 1 model (you are NEVER going to use the 2 missile hardpoints to any real effect), but its very likely its gonna get nerfbatted hard when its out (the normal CB variants arent that crazy OP, its just that stupid hero which is the defenition of P2W solong as gauss vomit is meta.

Anyways, i own a MC-II and i really like it since its not a niche mech but is relatively versatile (i mostly run gauss/ATM vomit builds and both of them work very well). It can do anything from brawling (scorch loadout), to sniping (2GR with 3-4 ERLLs or ERPPCs), and while it has its share of issues, it remains workable on every single map and in pugs assuming you dont skimp on the engine to the point where you cant keep up.

#5 Yumoshiri

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 190 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 05:11 AM

if you want to be an armoured tank and clan, MC is an option. Direwolves indeed suffer from vulnerable side torsos, so it can't brawl, only long range fire support. kodiaks- only the dakka dakka kodiak seems to 'work'.

real tanks are: highlander iic's with their superior armor and good hard points, or marauder iic's with their great hitboxes, i'd say both of these are more survivable than a kodiak. both of them are either on sale, or will go on sale.

#6 Daggett

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 December 2017 - 06:11 AM

Unless you are up to a challenge i would avoid the Direwhale, it's very hard to play correctly with it's low mobility and bad hitboxes.
You will probably hate either the mech or your team whenever a nascar has started.

The Kodiak-3 is okay but since engine decoupling it's not the front-line beast it once was because you will have problems using your arms to shield your big CT. But if you play it more as a hill-peeking second-line assault while providing some armor when needed i think it can still do some good work.

So personally i would choose the MC-II, although 10t lighter i think it is the strongest of those three overall.
Also note that the Deathstrike is on sale now so you can get one of the best assaults right now for about 15 bucks if you buy an MC package which is also on sale.
It's basically as if you could buy the hero without the standard-package which makes sense if you can wait until february when the other variants get available for cbills anyway.

But of cause in the end it depends on your taste which mech suits you best we can only give you hints on possible problems you might face with them. For example if you like to brawl then never ever buy the Direwhale, it simply can't brawl. It can only stare a non-moving opponent to death.

Edited by Daggett, 23 December 2017 - 06:18 AM.

#7 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:28 AM

View Postpanzer1b, on 17 November 2017 - 05:04 PM, said:

gauss vomit is meta.

No, it isn't. Hasn't been since Civil War released.

View PostDaggett, on 23 December 2017 - 06:11 AM, said:

For example if you like to brawl then never ever buy the Direwhale, it simply can't brawl. It can only stare a non-moving opponent to death.

I can say with absolute certainty that a properly fitted MCII can out-facetank a Direwhale, and if you add in a little twisting it becomes one of the best tanks available to the Clans. (but still nowhere near what the IS has points-wise)

Edited by BTGbullseye, 27 December 2017 - 04:29 AM.

#8 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:57 PM

I love the Direwolf. It is slow and not very maneuverable unless you have the S omnipods which include jump jets. The amount of firepower this omni can carry is staggering. 2-3 LBX2s, SRM4 orSRM6, 0-2 ERPPCS or LPLs,2 HMLs,2 MPLS. 1 LPL+2ERMLs is 26 damage. 2 HMLs are another 20 points. ATMs at 120-270 meters cause 3 damage per missle.

#9 Tier5ForLife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 481 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 03:14 PM

Always buy the newest one. They all get nerfed after a while to make sure you buy the new ones.

#10 chucklesMuch

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,424 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 06 March 2018 - 04:02 AM

Madcat; Deathstrike and B

#11 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 04:07 AM

Highlander llC,and Dire Wolves are good choices but the Orion llC and Warhawks are on sale now.

#12 FrostyBurn

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 90 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 15 March 2018 - 07:23 AM

Well the Marauder IIC is really a better choice then any of those. But if you are stuck on those I would go Mad Cat IIC then Kodiak and last Dire Wolf. You know who wants a Wolf clan design? But clan IICs are really outstanding mechs all of them. Get Orion IIC, Hunchback IIC and the Highlander IIC hero.

#13 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 06:45 PM

View PostFrostyBurn, on 15 March 2018 - 07:23 AM, said:

Well the Marauder IIC is really a better choice then any of those. But if you are stuck on those I would go Mad Cat IIC then Kodiak and last Dire Wolf. You know who wants a Wolf clan design? But clan IICs are really outstanding mechs all of them. Get Orion IIC, Hunchback IIC and the Highlander IIC hero.

I am working on builds for the Keeper Highlander llC Hero Clan Mech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users