90-100 Ton Assault Mechs Are Pretty Much Useless.

98 replies to this topic

#21 PyckenZot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 870 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAnderlecht, Belgium

Posted 17 November 2017 - 05:57 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 17 November 2017 - 05:12 AM, said:

umm no. They are the most important mechs on the battlefield. Sadly when you have bad pilots in them, the match is pretty much over.

Every mech is equally important in a drop. A locust can just as well decide the outcome of a drop as an assault.
It is all up to teamwork and skill. Leaving assaults to fend for their own is a bad call, leaving your fast one take center and not support them is just as much a bad call.

#22 CK16

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 17 November 2017 - 06:01 AM

Clan side wise seems ok, considering most have high mobility ect. Well poor Dire Wolf though is in a tough spot for years now.

Is wise though, alot of them are Juggernauts they are not meant to be nimble footed mechs like the Mk II and Mad IIC. But an Atlas push is still scary on certain maps....

Honestly not all assaults are the same, they should be fairly tough armor wise though and bring big guns. But something like the Mk II is noted for its speed and for an assault (atleast clan side) it's loadout are fairly tame in comparison to the DWF and KDK for instance.

#23 Vonbach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 694 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 06:03 AM

View PostDjPush, on 16 November 2017 - 09:29 PM, said:

With the engine decoupling and nerfs to mobility, the Atlas, Direwolf, Highlander, Banshee, Annihilator and Executioner are just 3D models in the mechbay (I'm sure there are others but I don't feel like naming them all). They don't stand a chance on the battlefield. Kind of sad considering I cut my teeth in this game piloting the Atlas. I have always enjoyed stomping around in large mechs with weapons that decimate anything in front of them. Now, most of these mechs are laughable. Easy targets with no ability to turn, or torso twist. Even with a full mobility tree, they are just to cumbersome to compete.

Pretty much. Without the ability to torso twist properly their pretty much dead weight.

#24 GuardDogg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 06:06 AM

Assaults are suppose to be the scariest mechs on the battlefield. But in MWO, they are not. Their is a lot wrong in MWO from battletech.

#25 Burke IV

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 06:14 AM

Maybe you could put more nodes in your agility tree :)

no but seriously, we all know that PGI have gone mad with their recent changes and there doesnt see to be much chance of a rollback so i guess you assult pilots will just have to hope that you get some more armour or something.

#26 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 06:26 AM

They are only really good for boating ballistics, so if they can't do that, they are rather limited, true.

That being said, I wouldn't say they are useless; most mechs in the game are sub-part or only "decent" - I think it just hurts more mentally, in a way, when a big mech has little purpose to be played.

#27 krash27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 582 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 17 November 2017 - 06:49 AM

View PostShifty McSwift, on 17 November 2017 - 12:39 AM, said:

Remove it? Nooohohohoooo.

But maybe work it to give assaults slightly better ghost heat potentials, yeah I could get behind that.

I'm thinking Direstar with no ghost heat o.0 To name one.
That's kinda terrifying..

#28 lazorbeamz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:06 AM

If you remove GH, then only remove ballistic ghost heat and perhaps MRM/ATM/SRM.

It will only affect a handful of mechs in the entire game. Like that 4xuac10 KDK3.

Edited by lazorbeamz, 17 November 2017 - 07:07 AM.

#29 Xavori

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 792 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:35 AM

Every problem in the game vs tabletop comes down to the fact that MWO doesn't use dice roll for hits (or alternatively, the only thing that makes TT playable is that mech pilots suck at their jobs and/or don't have the kinds of targeting computers the US military has had for 40 years now)

Since cone of fire is pretty much a non-starter since it removes pilot skill, you have to do something else to offset the fact that even the potatoes of the MWO world are better than even the Black Widow in tabletop. That something is armor.

Assaults need to double their armor at least. Every. Single. One. Of. Them. Some, need more than that (coughAtlasDireWolfcough). When you see an assault on the battlefield, it should be scary. Not because it's carrying more weapons than other mechs (that was kinda the role that heavies played), but because it's just not going to want to die. It's going to be this great big pile of metal that the rest of the team can hide behind on a push.

And can you imagine Kodiak's and Atlas....uh...es?...Atlasi?...Atl? leading a charge instead of trying to peek and poke and hide behind the Locusts? It would be a lot more fun.

#30 PyckenZot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 870 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:39 AM

View PostXavori, on 17 November 2017 - 07:35 AM, said:

Assaults need to double their armor at least. Every. Single. One. Of. Them. Some, need more than that (coughAtlasDireWolfcough). When you see an assault on the battlefield, it should be scary.

Would you then also agree to reinclude Repair and Rearm?

#31 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:39 AM

Meh. Love my Atlas, Banshee, Highlander (IS and Clan), Cyclops, and Mauler. Still 50/50 on my King Crab.

#32 Xavori

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 792 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:51 AM

View PostPyckenZot, on 17 November 2017 - 07:39 AM, said:

Actually, I'd rather have respawns. Matches last 15 minutes unless one side or the other completes the objective. When you die, you wait 15 seconds while a drop ship brings in your new mech.

But ya, if we're going to make assaults into big piles o' metal, then everyone needs more ammo :P

#33 Dogstar

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,722 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:53 AM

View PostPyckenZot, on 17 November 2017 - 07:39 AM, said:

No, don't be difficult.

If the solution is to increase armour then it needs to _at least_ double dimply to provide a few more seconds of survivability for assaults. There's no need to try and draw in another, rightly well hated, feature just so that assaults can have something.

Frankly the solution to tankiness is not to increase armour values but to reduce damage taken - 'tanky' mechs should all have a hefty 'Damage Reduction' quirk that ranges from 30-60+% - and yes some heavies should get it too.

#34 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:56 AM

View PostPyckenZot, on 17 November 2017 - 05:57 AM, said:

Every mech is equally important in a drop. A locust can just as well decide the outcome of a drop as an assault.
It is all up to teamwork and skill. Leaving assaults to fend for their own is a bad call, leaving your fast one take center and not support them is just as much a bad call.

no,,lol no. No-one cares about light mechs. The only time we do is when its a cap to win battle or LRM'ers need scouts. Killing mechs is the game modes we have which trumps all other aspects of MWO.

Most good players do not need their Assaults to deal damage, they need them to be a target on the battlefield. If not, heavy mechs get melted.

Edited by mogs01gt, 17 November 2017 - 07:59 AM.

#35 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:56 AM

View PostThe Lighthouse, on 17 November 2017 - 12:34 AM, said:

How about we completely remove ghost heat from Assault class only? For a quick fix.

Won't affect gauss vomit and clan laser vomit mechs (mostly can't really use any more heavy lasers due to heat), but this will definitely help everything else.

Yes. YES!
Absolutely this.
I would love to have the Ghost Heat removed from my 9E Laser Vomit MAD-IIC.
It's in dire need for help, you know.
Listen to this ma... uhm ... house.
And quick fixes are the best, anyway. What could possibly go wrong?

Edited by Paigan, 17 November 2017 - 07:57 AM.

#36 Xavori

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 792 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 08:03 AM

View PostPaigan, on 17 November 2017 - 07:56 AM, said:

Yes. YES!
Absolutely this.
I would love to have the Ghost Heat removed from my 9E Laser Vomit MAD-IIC.
It's in dire need for help, you know.
Listen to this ma... uhm ... house.
And quick fixes are the best, anyway. What could possibly go wrong?

*cough*Direstar*cough*

#37 Mechrophilia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 397 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 08:04 AM

I think Atlas should have more armor AND structure quirks than Annihilator ever had. All slow inner sphere assaults with low damage-per-weight should take forever to kill. I also think match scores/XP/Cbills should include "damage taken" as a hefty factor. Those who can "get gud" at rolling the damage out across their entire mech get more space-bucks.

What I dont understand is why skill tree nodes give only a flat percent of a mechs current (characteristic-value) rather than something more dynamic. Since an Atlas has terribly slow yaw turn rate, skill node percentages only increase that yaw rate a very tiny amount.

#38 Trissila

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 439 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 08:07 AM

Radical idea: Get rid of ghost heat.

Suddenly Assaults become terrifying weapons platforms to justify their low mobility, instead of Heavies being able to directly compete with them in terms of firepower because they're artificially gimped by ghost heat and not allowed to fire anything more than what a Medium could fire anyway.

Annihilator is suddenly much more scary when it can load 2 ultra/20 and an ultra/10 to pop you with 100 PPFLD as soon as it sees you, or 4 RAC-5s and spit out nearly 45 DPS.

#39 PyckenZot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 870 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 08:17 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 17 November 2017 - 07:56 AM, said:

no,,lol no. No-one cares about light mechs. The only time we do is when its a cap to win battle or LRM'ers need scouts. Killing mechs is the game modes we have which trumps all other aspects of MWO.

Most good players do not need their Assaults to deal damage, they need them to be a target on the battlefield. If not, heavy mechs get melted.

I need those kind of good players more in my drops,...
When I see enough good pilots in my drop when playing an assault I KNOW I won't even break 200 dmg. The match is over by the time I get there. On the topic of light mechs I disagree wholeheartedly. A good light pack can decide the match before the peeking starts.

#40 Rusharn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 224 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 12:20 PM

I think all the assaults need their torso twist speeds increased.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users