1440P @ 144Hz Advice

25 replies to this topic

#1 Lulz Kev

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 04:41 PM

Looking for advice getting my frames a little higher. What settings should I go about lowering?

I'm currently running with everything maxed getting an average of about 85FPS. I'd like to get a steady 100 or even 144 if it possible without sacrificing too much detail.

PC Specs:
7700K Delid @ 5Ghz
1080 Ti Strix @ 2.1Ghz
Gskill DDR4 32Gb @ 3200Mhz
Asus Maximus IX Hero
Samsung NVMe 1TB M.2
Corsair RM850i

#2 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 17 November 2017 - 05:34 PM

Drop particles to low

#3 Gadsden Labe

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:16 PM

Shaders and shadows kill my framrates. Try lowering them.

#4 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 04:16 PM

Upgrade to a threadripper..... get a custom water loop with a quad rad, Over clock it to 4.8ghz..... and run 2 1080Ti's in SLI..... and get a Samsung M.2 Pro drive x2 Raid them..... and stand with on your left foot while praying to the gods for better FPS in this game? Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#5 Yosharian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 05:29 PM

View PostDTF Kev, on 17 November 2017 - 04:41 PM, said:

Looking for advice getting my frames a little higher. What settings should I go about lowering?

I'm currently running with everything maxed getting an average of about 85FPS. I'd like to get a steady 100 or even 144 if it possible without sacrificing too much detail.

PC Specs:
7700K Delid @ 5Ghz
1080 Ti Strix @ 2.1Ghz
Gskill DDR4 32Gb @ 3200Mhz
Asus Maximus IX Hero
Samsung NVMe 1TB M.2
Corsair RM850i

I'm running an overclocked 6700K with 16GB of RAM and a 1080TI with an SSD for the OS and the game installation.

Primary monitor is 2560x1080 @144Hz (GSync)

My real FPS hits a maximum of 141Hz (limited via RTSS) but most of the time stays around 100, with frequent drops to around 70, sometimes 50 if the game really throws a fit.

Give up trying to crush this game. It's not possible.

Oh and none of the 'tips' posted here affected my framerate. At all.

Edited by Yosharian, 18 November 2017 - 05:30 PM.

#6 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:56 PM

nothing anyone can do at the client side, will completely alleviate the issues the developers coded into the game ... the 'slow downs' are merely unintended consequences of 'extending' code, rather than updating it ... for instance, the battlegrid system seems to be optimized for 16 objects ( 8 players per team ), which was the limit, when that chunk of code was written ... at some point after that, it was decided that 12 players per team was where they wanted to be, but the game actually has the complete ability to run 16 per team, and I bet they tried that, and it brought terrible performance ... theres still leftover bits within the code, for instance the code that sets up the scoreboard, repeats 32 times, with 8 dead values that are skipped over, in the building of the scoreboard you get to see ....

when they introduced incursion mode, it came with a performance penalty, and that performance penalty, was completely related to the overloading of the battlegrid system, and the solution, wasnt to re-optimize the base code, it was to make less things 'noticed' by the battlegrid .... next time your suffering from a slowdown, try turning off the HUD, and see if that makes a difference, if it does, then your affected by this problem, if it doesnt, then theres probably something else going on

the particle system can become just as easily overloaded, probably for the same reasons, what we use and have now, is far from the original values that were optimized for .... and most people dont realise all of the particle effects being drawn in front of them .... for instance, the directional arrow, thats a particle, with alpha dropoff, every map that they have 'updated' became full of particle effects .... god, for all I know, the dude who did those optimizations, doesnt even work at PGI anymore, and no one knows which bits of code to look at, maybe it was done before they even took possession of the whack engine fork we have .... I've tried pointing things out to them a few times ... but it falls on deaf ears ... the whole 'we dont see a problem, it must be at your end, try restarting windows and/or your modem' .... and they've got other issues that concern them, like 'do you wanna buy a mechpack' .....

so pretty much, all that leaves you with, is messing with a user.cfg ( and tuning.cfg ) file .... which can have very mixed results ... you might get better performance from disabling the job system, as the default configuration doesnt use it properly, and may potentially add to 'wait' times between competing threads (everything is done in a serial fashion) .... if your using shadows, and an nvidia card, then enabling the depthbounds extension may 'decrease' load, equating to things finishing sooner and/or requiring less computations .... changing which core the primary threads run on may help them out ... but that difference is probably minimal on a 7700k @ 5ghz ....

at the end of the day, not every change will benefit every person .... theres no one size fits all .... for example, I'll post a copy of what I'm currently using, this should 'overlay' any degree of settings, without too much issue, currently, I have everything set to 'low' from the menu settings, and tweak values upwards that suit me, like terrain detail is configured to the 'very high' settings (could go further with a performance penalty), water reflections have been mostly neutralised, depth of field has been killed off, HDR blooming is toned down, texturing is configured to be a mix of settings, oh, and the sound will continue to run, while your alt tabbed ... useful for people recording games, after death, who happen to alt-tab before the end of the game, and the game will run at full resource usage while your alt-tabbed, last thing to really note, is that particles are set to fade 'early', if you use the directional arrow, this is going to mess it up, but essentially when a particle drops to 50% alpha, it pops out of existence, helping to keep the overall count down, as opposed to the normal value, of keep drawing the particle until its under 1% visibility, this is probably most noticable on mining colony, when you can see the vertical flame stacks, you can see they dont fade out cleanly, but hey, your meant to be looking for mechs, not staring at the flames .... oh, to get this to take full effect, you have to load the training grounds, before you go into a live game, you change a setting on the menu, need to rinse and repeat ... the proper way to tell our version of cryengine that a line is a comment and not to be executed is with '--'
Spoiler

tuning.cfg just needs to tell it to execute the user.cfg file ... the tuning.cfg file is loaded when the HUD starts, ie, the moment you spawn, and if a chunk of settings are changed then, your pc WILL stall, and not all will change ... to maintain compliance with the devs wishes, you need to keep your changes in the user.cfg file, as its included in crash reports ....
exec user.cfg

Edited by NARC BAIT, 20 November 2017 - 06:58 PM.

#7 arcana75

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:09 PM

Thread caught my eye, sorry if I am hijacking it. I have a 2560x1440 @ 144hz panel, but when ingame the panel says it's at 60hz, be it in the mechbay or in the battlefield. When I alt-tab back and forth between the game and desktop, the panel tells me it's switching between 144hz and 60hz.

I have vsync off both in the NVidia panel and ingame. How do I get MWO to do 144hz? I have a 1080GTX if that matters. I'm not that focused on the framerate, but the 60hz is giving me a headache after an extended session.

#8 woflborg

Rookie

• 9 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:05 PM

View Postarcana75, on 20 November 2017 - 08:09 PM, said:

Thread caught my eye, sorry if I am hijacking it. I have a 2560x1440 @ 144hz panel, but when ingame the panel says it's at 60hz, be it in the mechbay or in the battlefield. When I alt-tab back and forth between the game and desktop, the panel tells me it's switching between 144hz and 60hz.

I have vsync off both in the NVidia panel and ingame. How do I get MWO to do 144hz? I have a 1080GTX if that matters. I'm not that focused on the framerate, but the 60hz is giving me a headache after an extended session.

I havent found a real fix for this, one that would let me run the game full screen all the time at 144Hz, but I do know that hitting alt+enter twice in a match to go from full screen to a window and full screen again releases the 60Hz strangehold and lets me run the game at 144Hz. This needs to be repeated after each match loads up but its better than running at 60.

For the record, Im using a gsync monitor and nvidia 1080ti card.

#9 arcana75

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 06:06 PM

View Postwoflborg, on 30 November 2017 - 03:05 PM, said:

I havent found a real fix for this, one that would let me run the game full screen all the time at 144Hz, but I do know that hitting alt+enter twice in a match to go from full screen to a window and full screen again releases the 60Hz strangehold and lets me run the game at 144Hz. This needs to be repeated after each match loads up but its better than running at 60.

For the record, Im using a gsync monitor and nvidia 1080ti card.

Weird and interesting workaround. I'll give it a try, could be that you are using gsync. I read that with gsync and Adaptive Sync in the control panel, the card+panel will collaborate more towards vsync'ing.

EDIT: Wow I don't know why or how, but this worked for me too! Thank you you're a saviour! And no I'm not using a gsync panel.

Edited by arcana75, 01 December 2017 - 09:06 PM.

#10 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 01 December 2017 - 06:57 PM

** Redacted Trade it in for an Intel-based PC. Redacted **

Edited by Ed Steele, 02 December 2017 - 01:55 PM.

#11 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 December 2017 - 12:55 AM

View PostEd Steele, on 01 December 2017 - 06:57 PM, said:

Trade it in for an Intel-based PC.
yeah ... classic fanboyism ... except, the dude who started the thread, is on a 7700K .... got anything useful to add ?

Edited by NARC BAIT, 02 December 2017 - 01:07 AM.

#12 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 01:53 PM

View PostNARC BAIT, on 02 December 2017 - 12:55 AM, said:

yeah ... classic fanboyism ... except, the dude who started the thread, is on a 7700K .... got anything useful to add ?

Yeah, my mistake, I noticed that after and forgot to redact my statement. And it is not just "fanboyism" it is proven that the 7700K is better for currently available games than any AMD CPU of the same generation.

And yes, I have usefull info to add, since I have a 1080 Ti / 7700K setup myself. First off, you hardware is as good, or better than mine, but the biggest difference might be the resolution that you are running the game at. If you are running at 4K with everything turned all the way up, then 85 FPS is damned good. I only have a 2K monitor, but it has GSYNC, so I run the game at 2k resolution with everything turned up and Vsync turned OFF. Really, you should not have to lower any of your settings, the only thing that will really make your FPS drop in MWO, even with everything set really high, are the lightrays (which really only causes massive FPS drops on maps with day / night when at the transitions from night to day), and the only way that you can lower this is through the user.cfg (which I have not done yet, so someone else could give you that info). Here are the things that noticeably increased my FPS:

1) If you have a G-Sync monitor, then got to the NVIDIA control panel, then to "Set up G-Sync" and make sure that "Enable G-Sync" is checked and that "Enable G-Sync for windowed and full screen mode" is selected.

2) Also in the NVIDIA control panel, go to "Manage 3D settings", then select the "Program Settings" tab, then under "1. Select a program to customize", use the pulldown to select "MechWarrior Online (mwoclient.exe)". Now, under "2. Specify the settings for this program:", scroll down to "Threaded optimization" and change it to 'On'. After this you should be able to relaunch MWO and enjoy smoother, more stable framerates (but remember that it is still an older game engine and is poorly optimized).

The more obvious things that you can do (which you probably already know) is to:

- Disable Windows 10 Game DVR and XBOX mode (there are plenty of guides on the internet on how to do this.

- Make sure your Windows power profile is set to "performance" (this will keep your CPU from going into power-saving mode).

- Update your drivers to the latest version.

- Run the game at a lower resolution.

I have done all of these things (except I do run at the native resolution for my monitor) and I usually average between 119-138 or so FPS, except for on maps that have day / night cycles, where my FPS drops as low as 20 FPS for a second or two when the sun first rises.

Also, yes, you could turn particles low and shadows low, but that is a waste of your hardware.

Finally, I apologize for the horrible formatting, but it is Saturday and I am lazy. And yes, there are videos on Google that show you how to do everything that I mentioned.

*** Almost forgot, If you have G-Sync, in Nvidia Control Panel, under "Manage 3D settings" / Global Settings tab, scroll down and find "Vertical sync" and turn it to 'On' (this will enable a version of V-Sync that is compatible with G-Sync and will help stop screen tearing). ***

Edited by Ed Steele, 02 December 2017 - 04:37 PM.

#13 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 02:10 PM

View Postarcana75, on 20 November 2017 - 08:09 PM, said:

Make sure you have G-Sync enabled for windowed and full screen mode (see my post above).

#14 arcana75

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 02:43 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 02 December 2017 - 02:10 PM, said:

Make sure you have G-Sync enabled for windowed and full screen mode (see my post above).

Don't have a gsync panel. Anyway see above there's a workaround that works.

#15 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 02 December 2017 - 02:47 PM

Ed, thanks for the post. Replying so it makes it easier to find next time someone is seeking assistance on their FPS..

And only the second time I have seen the word delid.. dang.. the lengths we go to OC ...:)

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 02 December 2017 - 02:49 PM.

#16 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 03:49 PM

View Postarcana75, on 02 December 2017 - 02:43 PM, said:

Don't have a gsync panel. Anyway see above there's a workaround that works.

You should be able to right-click on your Windows desktop and select NVIDIA control panel. If you do not have any options for G-Sync then, you probably do not have a G-Sync monitor. Make sure you have the latest Nvidia drivers too. Also, uninstall G-Force experience it is unnecessary and a waste of system resources (when you install your drives, you have the option of excluding G-Force experience).

If you don't actually have a G-Sync monitor, just ignore any of my tips that refer to G-Sync, although the rest of the information will still be useful.

Edited by Ed Steele, 02 December 2017 - 04:22 PM.

#17 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 03:56 PM

Guys, I just pulled the trigger on a 35" Ultra wide 21:9 AOC Agon 1440P monitor. Its coming in on the 6th, and is 100hz.... gonna retire the ben-Q 60hz 1440P 32" for now. Any one have any input on this monitor? It has G-Sync and will be my first run with a Monitor above 60hz and with G-Sync. It should be a really nice upgrade with my new Ryzen 1700 and the MSI 1070 8GB Seahawk card with the EK water block I just built.

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 02 December 2017 - 04:00 PM.

#18 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 04:08 PM

View PostBill Lumbar, on 02 December 2017 - 03:56 PM, said:

Guys, I just pulled the trigger on a 35" Ultra wide 21:9 AOC Agon 1440P monitor. Its coming in on the 6th, and is 100hz.... gonna retire the ben-Q 60hz 1440P 32" for now. Any one have any input on this monitor? It has G-Sync and will be my first run with a Monitor above 60hz and with G-Sync. It should be a really nice upgrade with my new Ryzen 1700 and the MSI 1070 8GB Seahawk card with the EK water block I just built.

Sorry, I have not read anything about that monitor, but it sounds like a great monitor, good luck with it. I am still very happy with my Acer Predator.

Edited by Ed Steele, 02 December 2017 - 04:23 PM.

#19 Yosharian

• Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 06:12 PM

I actually drop to 45 FPS sometimes, happened yesterday

i7 6700K + 1080TI @1080p ultrawide

45 fps

this game is a joke

View PostBill Lumbar, on 02 December 2017 - 03:56 PM, said:

> 1440p

> ultrawide

> 1070

lmao

Edited by Yosharian, 02 December 2017 - 06:13 PM.

#20 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 06:44 PM

View PostYosharian, on 02 December 2017 - 06:12 PM, said:

I actually drop to 45 FPS sometimes, happened yesterday

i7 6700K + 1080TI @1080p ultrawide

45 fps

this game is a joke

> 1440p

> ultrawide

> 1070

lmao

I agree that this game engine is not properly optimized for multiplayer, but if you read my legnthy earlier post, you may be able to get a bit more performance out of the game (If you do not have a G-SYNC monitor ignore the parts about G-SYNC).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users