Newbie Looking To Learn

8 replies to this topic

#1 Quetzu

Rookie

• Sergeant
  • Sergeant
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 05:40 PM

Hi, I am new to the game, just got it about 5 days ago. I used to play the old Mechwarrior a long time ago, this looks incredibly better, but I am confused on some of the rating and how heat works when you are trying to tweek a mech. I used to play an Uziel and DFA and go off with the PPCs, but it's definately a bit harder here. Any ideas on where to start, and what to read? I'd be grateful for any suggestions, thank you.

#2 Darrious Quinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 244 posts
  • LocationUS East Coast

Posted 17 November 2017 - 06:19 PM

Welcome to the game and good man asking for help. You'd be amazed how many folks don't and just go on with trail and error.

First off, most of us would strongly recommend reading and watching the pinned topics here in the New Player forums, its good stuff all around. Be aware that the difference between the older MechWarrior games and MWO is vast. Heat, weapon balance and skills are a huge convoluted balance issue that is always evolving. We'll come back to that all in a few.

Second. The community can be a little bi-polar. You'll see LOTS of different feedback ranging from helpful to toxic. Don't take anything personally. If you're in match and someone gets mouthy and belligerent, just shrug it off.

Third. Notice the Community tab along the top of the webpage. Take a look at some streamers on Twitch. Everyone has their own opinion about streamers, their worth or how good they are, but for a new guy? The information you can get off of watching them is priceless.

So... Uziels, PPCs and Heat.

Heat works different here in MWO then say, MW4. Older MW games were straight forward. Fire weapon, build heat, heatsinks dissipate. Here its a tad more complicated, you have Heat Generation, Heat Dissipation and Heat Threshold.

Heat is generated from everything. Movement, jumping, environment, weapons fire, and certain enemy fire. As example... If your Uziel is on the Forest Colony map, fires two PPC simultaneously while jumping. You will build less heat if you were to pull the same move off on a hot map like Terra Therma.

Dissipation is another facet to all this and is largely affected by equipment and skill points. Being new, maybe you don't have a lot of skill points on your Uziel yet. Skill points in the right spots in Firepower and Operations can lower heat generation of weapons and increase the mechs threshold. Double heatsinks are almost always the way to go. Painful to upgrade too at 1.5M, but most mechs need them. Important note about dissipation is that its real time. So if you fire both PPCs and fire off again as soon as they cooldown, your dissipation may not be high enough to fully cool you off. Higher the dissipation, the faster you blow off the heat.

Heat Threshold is basically the point when your mech hit thermal shutdown. You can Override that shutdown before or after it occurs, but the mech WILL take heat damage to random locations. Allowing the thermal shutdown prevents most of that damage, but if you are in override and you cross that heat threshold, you are taking full heat damage and that can be lethal. Most of us have killed ourselves by heat at some point.

The Heat system is one of those things you just need to learn through experience. Take it slow, play your cadet matches and run the academy content and experiment. Unfortunately you will soon learn that classic MW builds like the twin PPC Uziel just doesn't perform like it did in MW4. Many will drone on about how the mech is broke, or the mechanics/balance is broke, but in truth its up to the player to adapt. Observe, Learn, Adapt. With experience you'll find a style and build you like to play and things get easier.

So have fun. Don't let anyone poo-poo you into doing something you don't want too do. Your account, your experience , your time. Enjoy it! Good luck and have fun.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 06:35 PM

View PostQuetzu, on 17 November 2017 - 05:40 PM, said:

Hi, I am new to the game, just got it about 5 days ago. I used to play the old Mechwarrior a long time ago, this looks incredibly better, but I am confused on some of the rating and how heat works when you are trying to tweek a mech. I used to play an Uziel and DFA and go off with the PPCs, but it's definately a bit harder here. Any ideas on where to start, and what to read? I'd be grateful for any suggestions, thank you.

First piece of advice:
DFA doesn't work. And not just because of HoverJets[tm] #poptarts #whywecan'thavenicethings...
But because #PGIAin'tGoodAtCryEngine. #Trolls. #ServerAndClientCan'tAgree #Frustration

Second, do you have a mech already? My answer depends on that.

Third: to compare heat to previous games: Mw2 had a threshold [shutdown 100% heat] at 40 units. MW3 had 30 units but if you install Pirate's Moon it changes to 60 units. MW4 has 60 units. For each of those games the threshold is hard locked. MWO has a changing threshold that depends on your equipment + environment + skill tree. The minimum is 40 with SHS or 44 with DHS (100 engine with 6 external double heatsinks) or 50 (250 or higher engine and no external heatsinks) and the high end used to be over 120. Now unless really exploiting the skill tree it caps at 89 for IS and almost 10 more for Clan.. for boating double heatsinks with at least one ER PPC.

Cooling is faster than previous games up to 17 DHS provided you filled out the Cool Runs on the skill tree, at 17+ DHs though the returns break even and then reduce. There's no reduction to benefits for boating single heatsinks... but why would you? (Without the cool runs, 250+ engine lets you break even with the doubles and as you tack more on, their power compared to older games reduces. To note: They only feel somewhat slower because 100% is wherever that high end is set, rather than explicitly 30 to 60.)

Edited by Koniving, 17 November 2017 - 07:02 PM.

#4 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 18 November 2017 - 12:04 AM

The first thing you should know is that the Uziel is a deathtrap and you should pilot something better.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 03:04 AM

Uziel stock armor is...skimpy at best. In MWO it can be instantly killed with the way MWO's weapons work versus Battletech's stock loadout, thanks to PGI deciding that we can fire full damage at a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 19 times the BT damage rate. (Used to be 30+ before the AC/2 nerfs way back in the early 2013s due largely to AC/2 boating for what was effectively the damage output rivaling 6 AC/10s for the tonnage of 6 AC/2s).

Maximize it and front load it. The mech plays a lot better after that. The Uziel has a lot of hardpoints but not enough tonnage to fully utilize all of them at once. It is best to pick a focus and stick with it. If that's PPCs, pack on 2 PPCs or 4 Light PPCs (hotter, same damage as two standard, same range, but 4 tons less and faster firing rate) and heatsinks.

Pick either arms or torsos and do not combine them, as the two can aim separately. Just starting out, you should focus more on just learning how to aim, move, etc. You don't need to worry about having two Separate Crosshairs and being able to fire in two Separate directions at once.

Save that discovery for after you get the hang of playing, and then come back and ask.

#6 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 18 November 2017 - 03:17 AM

Just dump the Uziel and run a BJ-3. PGI is seemingly giving out c-bills like candy so lack of funds is hardly an issue.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 06:17 AM

Someone's got a sour opinion. Did you skill it out yet Spheroid? All mechs seem pretty terrible before doing so. Look at the almighty Timber Wolf compared to the performance before the skill tree change. Pretty terrible now. But then add the new skill tree with some torso twist skills and it moves better than the old post-skill tree (which I think is absolutely insane).

I've made two out of three Uziels work. The third.. I think that one might end up in a ditch somewhere. You might be using THAT one.

#8 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:15 PM

If you insist on using an Uziel with PPCs. Use Dual HPPCs on high shoulder mounts. Just pop tart or ridge fire. The point is to avoid direct trading with enemies.

Edited by MechaBattler, 20 November 2017 - 03:15 PM.

#9 JigglyMoobs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:55 PM

View PostQuetzu, on 17 November 2017 - 05:40 PM, said:

I think watching some streams is a great way to learn. Streamers who are really good at this game include:

https://www.twitch.tv/prtn_spz
https://www.twitch.tv/bear_cl4w
https://www.twitch.tv/writhenn (salty)

The B33f isn't quite that good but has very entertaining and explanatory monologue:

https://www.twitch.tv/the_b33f

Take a look at how these guys play and build their mechs. Before to look at their tactical map too. Ask them questions. It will help a lot.

I learned to play by watching JagerXII. He doesn't stream that often anymore but has lots of videos. They are very helpful if you want to know what a really good player is thinking and what teams should be doing.

https://www.twitch.t...rxii/videos/all

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users