Map And Event Feedback

No replies to this topic

#1 Zelumbras

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 05:52 PM

Event Feedback
Regarding the Rubellite Oasis Event, i very much prefer this to a simple increase in percentage to appear in the map rotation. It does have more or less the same effect in making sure that people will play the new map a lot in the next week or two but it just feels different. There is an additional incentive in the CB to be won and it does make a difference whether people choose to play it or not. Overall, i would really like an event like this for future map releases; maybe with some variation in rewards so that it isn't exactly the same every time. Small amounts of CB, MC or active premium time are always good!

Map Feedback
Since there are many factors that play into the overall impression, ill split this part into more sections. I did have some trouble adapting at first but quickly grew to like this map a lot. It will be interesting to see how it plays out in the long run but my first impression is very positive!

Layout
Some areas still seem to have some clipping issues where maps can get stuck, so some fine-tuning based on player feedback would be great; but overall, this one feels a lot more handcrafted and divers compared to some of the other maps. Large open spaces but on the top section, several brawling areas with varying levels of elevation, room and cover, lots of hidden spots and paths and an unprecedented level of vertical combat.
The layout of the map leaves plenty of room for ambush, hit and run or backstab tactics and makes seismic sensor incredibly useful. If everybody just rushed to the center in a big murderball it will get messy quite fast so this offers more variety to the gameplay and more value to good scouting. There are also quite a few areas where peeking around corners seems to be more valuable instead of ridge humping, which makes rarely seen 'mechs like the Cataphract more viable.
Overall, Oasis feels like one of the few maps where 12v12 really comes into play due to the many different options to approach or lure in the enemy team.

Visuals
The visibility is pretty good (which i personally prefer) while the thick clouds on top add a nice atmospheric touch. The colour scheme is fitting but a bit one-sided. Adding some more of those red crystal structures closer to the center area of the map would look nice in my opinion. Even more so if the ground textures around those would get a just slightly more dark-blue'ish colour to increase the contrast.

Heat
This map is hot, really hot. Energy based builds have a hard time coping with this, which led to a noticeable increase in ballistic builds since its release. This in turn means more ammo stored on mechs and adds more value to crit focused builds with a lot of machine guns or MRMs as well as cool running gauss builds being played since then. (on a totally unrelated note: please look into re-evaluationg the light gauss! Posted Image).
In terms of heat management, Oasis comes close to Terra, which many paople seem to dislike although i personally really do like it since it greatly favours quick descisions and hit and run tactics instead of the much more common "long range firing line" or "murderball" strategies.

Impact
Mech loadouts that do well on some of the other currently popular maps won't necessarily do well on Oasis and vice versa. I really hope that this may help shake up the "meta" since the combination of jump jets, mobility and heat management favoured on this map wasn't really featured in any of the other maps to the same degree. Playing a fast light or medium 'mech rarely felt as rewarding as running around with my Viper Medusa on Oasis in the last few matches.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users