- - - - -

Idiot Savant

70 replies to this topic

#41 LEE H4RVEY

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 07:33 PM

Still chugging through tier 4. I tried lowering my aim sensitivity all the way down. It was way too sluggish. I found a sweet spot for me at .15

#42 Spare Parts Bin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 25 January 2018 - 05:46 PM

Good luck to you. Wish I had a light to follow me and add my firepower to theirs and keep the fish off me.

#43 LEE H4RVEY

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 10:42 AM

View PostSpare Parts Bin, on 25 January 2018 - 05:46 PM, said:

Good luck to you. Wish I had a light to follow me and add my firepower to theirs and keep the fish off me.

I haven't been able to log in and fight any fishies yet. I will be on later tonight and see how my little LPL wielding 5V holds up... *nervous* I'm always up for a good fight.

If we end up on the same team I will watch your back the best I can. :D

Also, THANKS.

Edited by LEE H4RVEY, 26 January 2018 - 08:38 PM.

#44 LEE H4RVEY

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 08:45 PM

Finally made it to Tier 3! *nervous twitch*

A better light pilot would have made it much sooner but i'm still learning and it took...

234 matches in the Spider 5V
4 matches in the Spider 5D
3 matches in the Spider 5K

I saved up and bought a Wolfhound 2 and an Arctic Cheetah E. They got new paint and are just sitting in the mechbay.

#45 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,595 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:33 PM

Lights are fun, but don't neglect your other weight classes. You need to know how to pilot all of them well if you want to get the most out of any chassis.

#46 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:56 AM

View PostLEE H4RVEY, on 30 January 2018 - 08:45 PM, said:

Finally made it to Tier 3! *nervous twitch*

A better light pilot would have made it much sooner but i'm still learning and it took...

234 matches in the Spider 5V
4 matches in the Spider 5D
3 matches in the Spider 5K

I saved up and bought a Wolfhound 2 and an Arctic Cheetah E. They got new paint and are just sitting in the mechbay.

Congrats on Tier3. I have a ton of Heavies and Assaults with new paint, while I use a few Hero IS and Clan Mechs/Omnimechs.

#47 Tier5ForLife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 481 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 06:14 AM

I understand what he is doing. One way to motivate yourself is to tell others like friends and family what you are going to do

Like on the1st of next month, you are going on a diet, going to start exercising or you are going to stop sniffing glue etc.

I have a plan sort of like Lee's. I'm going to only play Lights and drop out of Tier 3 back to Tier 4 so I can Lurm again....

#48 LEE H4RVEY

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 02:39 PM

View PostLikeUntoBuddha, on 01 February 2018 - 06:14 AM, said:

I understand what he is doing. One way to motivate yourself is to tell others like friends and family what you are going to do

Like on the1st of next month, you are going on a diet, going to start exercising or you are going to stop sniffing glue etc.

I have a plan sort of like Lee's. I'm going to only play Lights and drop out of Tier 3 back to Tier 4 so I can Lurm again....

Kinda... yeah. I do fully realize that most people couldn't give a husky crap about my quest.

You are planning to play light mechs to drop in tiers???! Do you mean that it's not feasible to go up in tier piloting light mechs only?

I still plan to play my Spider 5V all the way up to Tier 1. If I am able to anyway. I may not be a good enough pilot to pull it off. Tier 3 may also find me indeed to be tilting at windmills... we shall see. We shall see.

#49 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 05:55 PM

I care about your progress. I can't seem to break out of tier 5.

#50 LEE H4RVEY

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 06:22 PM

View PostSpare Parts Bin, on 01 February 2018 - 05:55 PM, said:

I care about your progress. I can't seem to break out of tier 5.

Thanks very much. Don't give up. You will move up. If I can work my way out of T5 with a Spider 5V, you can do it...

Have you added airstrikes or arty strikes to your arsenal? They can really boost your damage output when well placed. Getting a certain amount of damage will allow your PSR to break even in spite of a lost game.

Also... A well placed/timed UAV can boost your score while helping your teammates lock on and lend fire support with lrms.

Those factors can push your scores up and help you climb. Hope it helps.

Edited by LEE H4RVEY, 02 February 2018 - 08:45 AM.

#51 LEE H4RVEY

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 06:31 PM

I bumped this with the hope that my edited previous post might help Spare Parts Bin.

Edited by LEE H4RVEY, 02 February 2018 - 07:44 PM.

#52 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 06:54 PM

My consumables are messed up. So I do not use them. It requires considerable self control which I sometimes do not possess.

I have added AMS to many of my Mechs and BAP or CAP to others. Both of which help my team and myself.

Thanks again LEE H4RVY. Wish you well in your quest.Hope to see you on the same side.

Edited by Spare Parts Bin, 02 February 2018 - 06:59 PM.

#53 LEE H4RVEY

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:03 PM

View PostSpare Parts Bin, on 02 February 2018 - 06:54 PM, said:

My consumables are messed up. So I do not use them. It requires considerable self control which I sometimes do not possess.

I have added AMS to many of my Mechs and BAP or CAP to others. Both of which help my team and myself.

Thanks again LEE H4RVY. Wish you well in your quest.Hope to see you on the same side.

Thanks and I hope the same for you.

To be honest I have to take strikes and such because it is tough fighting with only one or two lasers. If my strikes miss then I may get just a couple hundred damage AT THE MOST. I would never rise in tier that way. I'm just not good enough. There have been quite a few matches where I am the last squirrel standing and all I can hope for is to take one mech with me when I die. I still feel like I let the team down because I couldn't put more damage out and pull off the 3v1 or 4v. I've seen better armed light mechs do it.

@LikeUntoBuddha. Thanks also. How were you able to find our stats like that? I'm not one to get too much into stats but then I don't see how some of these light pilots have such amazing numbers on the leaderboards. 53 KDR etc...

#54 McHoshi

• 1,163 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:43 PM

View PostLEE H4RVEY, on 18 November 2017 - 07:15 AM, said:

Hey hey!

My name is LEE H4RVEY and i'm a mechoholic. For the record, my name was taken from my favorite scene in the movie "Tommy Boy"... NOT after the alleged murderer of JFK.

I ain't a rookie pilot but I have never advanced higher than the sub-basement of tier 3.

I start this topic up to announce my quixotic quest to advance to tier 1 whilst piloting nothing but a Spider. The SDR-5V is my chosen steed... If you see me in a match, please say hello and know that I will be playing the objectives. Battery runner/Resource capper/DOMINATION circle capper etc... In ASSAULT matches I will only cap as needed. In SKIRMISH I will fight.

If i'm alive at the end of the match I will not run and hide unless it means we can win by my hauling @$$. If the game is lost then I will not make it drag on by hiding.

GLHF See you on the battlefield.

Just another Twink account - Why are you people so obsessed with playing different characters? This is not and will never be an MMORPGH. TIER ONE - everyone can reach it - even those who "only" stand in the background and don't share their armour, while only throwing rockets around. You Lurm ******* mades me sooooo sick. Posted Image

.... And then you think that Quick Play is also a kind of final content. Wake up and get over it, because Quick Play is nothing more than some "Quick Play Nonesense" compared to Faction Play (even if Faction is not the final game content we've all been promised).

But back to your Question - it will take you less than one thousand good Matches in Qp to reach Tier One - maybe only less than one hundrets. The Tier System is a broken Pile of **** compaired to the "old" System. Posted Image

PGI has so many construction sites and the TIER system is definitely one of them! Posted Image

Edited by McHoshi, 02 February 2018 - 08:53 PM.

#55 LEE H4RVEY

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 11:37 PM

View PostMcHoshi, on 02 February 2018 - 08:43 PM, said:

Just another Twink account - Why are you people so obsessed with playing different characters? This is not and will never be an MMORPGH. TIER ONE - everyone can reach it - even those who "only" stand in the background and don't share their armour, while only throwing rockets around. You Lurm ******* mades me sooooo sick. Posted Image

.... And then you think that Quick Play is also a kind of final content. Wake up and get over it, because Quick Play is nothing more than some "Quick Play Nonesense" compared to Faction Play (even if Faction is not the final game content we've all been promised).

But back to your Question - it will take you less than one thousand good Matches in Qp to reach Tier One - maybe only less than one hundrets. The Tier System is a broken Pile of **** compaired to the "old" System. Posted Image

PGI has so many construction sites and the TIER system is definitely one of them! Posted Image

Not sure how to take this...

Twink?! Personally not into that but I ain't judgin' if that's your thing.

Did someone lurm you to death in a match and you decide to lash out at me? Not seeing your point in any constructive way. Sorry if this thread triggered you. Not my intent.

#56 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,595 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 03 February 2018 - 12:57 AM

Does he know you can't twink in MWO? It's not like you have some kind of "high-level" gear that isn't available to other players...

#57 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,595 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 03 February 2018 - 01:03 AM

View PostSpare Parts Bin, on 02 February 2018 - 06:54 PM, said:

Er, I'm not quite understanding. Consumables are an excellent force multiplier, and only 40K each. I always use consumables - though not the MC versions, because I don't like burning money. My recommendation is one artillery strike and one UAV - or if you don't want to spend the skills, the UAV by itself. They're well worth learning to use, and a well-placed UAV can turn the flow of a match.

What do you mean that your consumables are "messed up?"

#58 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 04:42 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 03 February 2018 - 01:03 AM, said:

Er, I'm not quite understanding. Consumables are an excellent force multiplier, and only 40K each. I always use consumables - though not the MC versions, because I don't like burning money. My recommendation is one artillery strike and one UAV - or if you don't want to spend the skills, the UAV by itself. They're well worth learning to use, and a well-placed UAV can turn the flow of a match.

What do you mean that your consumables are "messed up?"

Just can not figure out how to get them to work. I will try again and report specifics as it has been a while.

#59 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 07:34 PM

Like Unto Buddha subscribed to your you tube channel. Gonna watch you and learn.

#60 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 05 February 2018 - 11:07 AM

View PostLikeUntoBuddha, on 03 February 2018 - 04:46 PM, said:

When I started, I made the mistake while reading and watching many of the how-to video and guides of reading a couple about "How to make C-Bills in MWO".
One rule was to never use Consumables. I've learned that this is what is called a "false economy". In other words, you think you are saving money but it is costing you money.
Consumables can be the difference between a win or a lost and if you notice, you get paid more for a win. Plus, unless you have done awesome damage, you need a win to rise in the Tier. (I know I did)

Let me put it from a different perspective: it's something that can be advantageous for an experienced player, but extremely detrimental for newbies. New players don't usually earn much per match and do not have the knowledge to identify situations where a consumable would give them an advantage vs situations where it would be a waste of C-Bills. As a result, over-dependence on consumables both prevents them from learning proper heat management and substantially slows down their progression.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users