- - - - -

Idiot Savant

70 replies to this topic

#61 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:20 PM

Over-dependence is one thing, being able to use them and only use them well and when they are really needed is another. There are a lot of matches where I did not use a consumable at all because I either did not need to or the time was not right or I did not get a good chance to use it well.

Watching players like Knightfox18 taught me how to pull back to lower my heat. It is not always possible but I try. And I only carry one of each and you can get free ones which were the only ones I used for a long time.

Airstrikes are the most wasteful unless you get one perfectly done. The best way is to be behind a very slow assault so he never sees it. My mechs with Stealth armor carry two of them and they are one reason I wish PGI would put up the damage that we do or not do with every shot or every airstrike.

My Pirate's Bane is lightly armed so I wonder how I can do so much damage sometimes, it must be the Airstrikes.

I'm not big on UAVs, a lot of them do not last 2 seconds before they are shot down.

But cool shots can be very very handy. And if they are the difference between me living or dying, I'm using one. And if you only have one, you will still need to watch your heat because that is your one shot. I tend to run cooler mechs then a lot of people so I do try to keep myself within limits.

But I do understand your point.

#62 LEE H4RVEY

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 08:29 PM

*Dusts off cockpit seat*

*Initiates startup sequence on the newly rebuilt SDR-5V computer*

*Digs out old mixed tape and rewinds cassette to "Back In The Saddle Again" by Aerosmith*

*Presses PLAY*

#63 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 03 January 2019 - 01:27 PM

Interesting challenge.

I would def always take use twin fully upgraded strikes.

Light mechs are usually able to get in the best positions to land really good strikes and its a "free" DPS boost
to a mech that otherwise does not DPS well.

#64 LEE H4RVEY

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 08:40 PM

I have to admit that my first two matches after being away were real stinkers. Hard to knock the rust off at first but at least the new computer runs MWO like a dream. At least compared to my old one. May it rest in peace.

#65 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:32 PM

My buddy and I started the game together back in the day; he went and got a cheap system - so cost effective! It had an integrated "video card" built into the motherboard and sharing the system RAM. He could fight at long ranges (got really good with his PPC Stalker,) but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn close-in. I finally figured out what was happening when I spectated him and realized that no, that wasn't the net code (host-state rewind doesn't propagate to spectation, so what you spectate isn't exactly what your host sees) - he was getting framerate stuttering. Bad.

It was like watching a drunken rhinoceros try to swat flies. Blindfolded. With a hammer.

Edited by Void Angel, 07 January 2019 - 11:35 PM.

#66 LEE H4RVEY

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 03:48 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 07 January 2019 - 11:32 PM, said:

My buddy and I started the game together back in the day; he went and got a cheap system - so cost effective! It had an integrated "video card" built into the motherboard and sharing the system RAM. He could fight at long ranges (got really good with his PPC Stalker,) but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn close-in. I finally figured out what was happening when I spectated him and realized that no, that wasn't the net code (host-state rewind doesn't propagate to spectation, so what you spectate isn't exactly what your host sees) - he was getting framerate stuttering. Bad.

It was like watching a drunken rhinoceros try to swat flies. Blindfolded. With a hammer.

I had that problem on Forest Colony and River City. Especially when trying to fight a other light mech in the water... *NAUSEA*. My video card finally just gave up.

I love the rhino analogy.

#67 Mechwarrior 37

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 05:36 AM

Pffftttt. If this works, try something harder. Try it with the 4 AMS Piranha,

Posted Image

Edited by Mechwarrior 37, 09 January 2019 - 05:46 AM.

#68 LEE H4RVEY

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:46 AM

Your 4 machine guns would be better on open components than my one laser.

#69 Mechwarrior 37

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 09:30 AM

View PostLEE H4RVEY, on 10 January 2019 - 09:46 AM, said:

Your 4 machine guns would be better on open components than my one laser.

Yeap, the problem really comes when I go out of ammo.

#70 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 06:27 AM

welcome back. btw, if you don't have 12 JJs on a 5V, you're doing it wrong Posted Image

#71 LEE H4RVEY

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 06:53 PM

View PostMechwarrior 37, on 21 January 2019 - 09:30 AM, said:

Yeap, the problem really comes when I go out of ammo.

True :)

View PostImperialKnight, on 29 January 2019 - 06:27 AM, said:

welcome back. btw, if you don't have 12 JJs on a 5V, you're doing it wrong Posted Image

Thanks! I just got through testing 2 ermeds with all the jumpjets I could boat. Its was a blast on the testing grounds. Need to try it in a match I guess.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users