Posted Image
Posted Image

Disregard the urbie...

#22 Mole

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:10 PM

Anyway. Back on the original topic.

Gooddragon, you said this was a light hunter build? Did I read that right? I don't think I get it. Lights survive by being difficult to hit, so when you do hit them you need to make sure it hurts, and your King Crab only delivers 12 damage per shot. The 6 AC/2 King Crab's strength lies in its ability to do large amounts of damage over time through rapid fire rather than delivering a heavy blow in a single hit. What I mean to say is, in order to hunt a light 'mech with it you would have to be properly tracking the light 'mech and landing repetitive blows for quite some time, which is very difficult. If you are skilled enough in aiming to reliably hit a light with AC/2s, why are you choosing AC/2s to hunt lights with when you could hit them with a weapon combo that carries enough firepower to take them down in one shot? I'm confused about what you are doing.

#23 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:18 PM

View PostMole, on 18 November 2017 - 09:10 PM, said:

Anyway. Back on the original topic.

Gooddragon, you said this was a light hunter build? Did I read that right? I don't think I get it. Lights survive by being difficult to hit, so when you do hit them you need to make sure it hurts, and your King Crab only delivers 12 damage per shot. The 6 AC/2 King Crab's strength lies in its ability to do large amounts of damage over time through rapid fire rather than delivering a heavy blow in a single hit. What I mean to say is, in order to hunt a light 'mech with it you would have to be properly tracking the light 'mech and landing repetitive blows for quite some time, which is very difficult. If you are skilled enough in aiming to reliably hit a light with AC/2s, why are you choosing AC/2s to hunt lights with when you could hit them with a weapon combo that carries enough firepower to take them down in one shot? I'm confused about what you are doing.

Potentially the frontloaded damage of the build (12 per shot) combined with his ability to fire very rapidly could allow him to put in repeated shots onto the light mechs in short order, made easier by the high velocity of the AC2. Sort of like how dual ERPPCs are good for killing lights if you're accurate with them but with less damage and way higher rate of fire. It also doubles as a build that is good against things that aren't light mechs and works at all ranges.

Though every bit of this falls apart if you aren't good enough at aiming to hit lights the vast majority of the time, at which point streaks become a viable option.

#24 gooddragon2

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:34 PM

Well not really a light hunter, but it helps a little. I can't believe this thing works. It was supposed to be a joke.
Posted Image

Posted Image

So, it's a funny story, but what happened was that one of our mechs had only 2 ac 20 and their last mech had only 2 ac 5 (hunchback)... and our other mech had lasers. So the two ammoless mechs tried to ram each other to death (ours landed an artillery strike on him unsuspectingly). Yeah... yeah.

Strange I didn't get the "Seriously?!?" achievement.
EDIT: Oh, it's all players, not just my team.

Edited by gooddragon2, 18 November 2017 - 09:36 PM.

#25 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:38 PM

View Postgooddragon2, on 18 November 2017 - 09:34 PM, said:

Well not really a light hunter, but it helps a little. I can't believe this thing works. It was supposed to be a joke.
Posted Image

Posted Image

So, it's a funny story, but what happened was that one of our mechs had only 2 ac 20 and their last mech had only 2 ac 5 (hunchback)... and our other mech had lasers. So the two ammoless mechs tried to ram each other to death (ours landed an artillery strike on him unsuspectingly). Yeah... yeah.

Supposed to be a joke? Boated AC/2s are actually pretty good, man. Biggest reason I did the eyebleed thing at your original build was the XL in a King Crab and the unnecessarily large amount of ammunition you put into it. There's nothing wrong with your build once you popped a LFE in there, removed some of that superflous ammo, and also spread the ammo around a little bit so its not all concentrated in one component.

#26 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:50 PM

View PostMole, on 18 November 2017 - 09:38 PM, said:

Supposed to be a joke? Boated AC/2s are actually pretty good, man. Biggest reason I did the eyebleed thing at your original build was the XL in a King Crab and the unnecessarily large amount of ammunition you put into it. There's nothing wrong with your build once you popped a LFE in there, removed some of that superflous ammo, and also spread the ammo around a little bit so its not all concentrated in one component.

I used to run a XL King Crab all the time. Worked fine. Though that was before LFE was a thing and engine decoupling so now I would probably have a LFE. However there are still some assault builds that I could see a XL being good with.

#27 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 18 November 2017 - 10:06 PM

View Postdario03, on 18 November 2017 - 09:50 PM, said:

I used to run a XL King Crab all the time. Worked fine. Though that was before LFE was a thing and engine decoupling so now I would probably have a LFE. However there are still some assault builds that I could see a XL being good with.

Yeah, I used to run a 350XL in a twin Gauss/twin ERPPC King Crab. It worked pretty well so long as I didn't get pulled into CQC. These days I have a smaller LFE in it, just makes more sense.

I also still run almost all of my BattleMasters with big XL engines, because chasing down slow mediums and putting the fear of BattleMasters into them is fun.

Edited by Escef, 18 November 2017 - 10:07 PM.

#28 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:59 AM

View Postgooddragon2, on 18 November 2017 - 07:30 PM, said:

Okay, I'll meet you part way:
Posted Image

You have to understand, my pilot rating is negative. I'm not tier 4. That's an upside down H. That's why i pilot assault mechs.

If you find you speed is a limiting factor you may want to try a little more refinement in the design for more engine.

2 fewer heatsinks and light ferro should free up enough weight for a light 330 engine.

14 doubles should be cool enough if you use your lasers sparingly.

Also my experiences with Kingcrabs and how they take damage has me leaning towards recommending pulling the ammo from the side torsos and into the arms (where the kingcrab has some heafty armor buffs) I rarely had my Kingcrabs arms blown off before a side torso was breached and with the proliferation of machineguns these days I would try to keep critable explosives away from my mech's core if possible. (although realisticly it's like a 1 in 10 chance of crit hit ammo actually detonating so...not a game breaker)

Only you will know what fine tuning suits you though so play around a bit and see what you like. I just prefer a little more speed so I highly recommend a larger engine.

#29 Tom Sawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationOn your 6

Posted 19 November 2017 - 04:03 AM

Back on topic- As one of the original pilots if I may make that statement using the 6ac2 king crab with first an XL and now a lite engine there is one other thing to consider. Fire Control. Let the flame war begin a new, macros are dumb/cheating/lame/

But spewing out so many shells and watching people either try to back to cover or close to kill is fun. And this game needs a lot more fun.

#30 Nema Nabojiv

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts
  • LocationUA

Posted 19 November 2017 - 08:21 AM

If many-many-uac2 direwolfs work, why cant kingcrab. Apart from being poorly built of course.

#31 Clydewinder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 447 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 08:34 AM

might as well run XL on king crab. they always get CT'd anyway

#32 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 19 November 2017 - 08:40 AM

View PostClydewinder, on 19 November 2017 - 08:34 AM, said:

might as well run XL on king crab. they always get CT'd anyway

Like I said, works if you stay out of CQC.

#33 SlippnGriff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 220 posts
  • LocationSpud farm

Posted 19 November 2017 - 11:26 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bab0dc0962f7c26 awesome, this used to be one of my favorites. I suggest working to this set up. Shooting all 6 at, when you get hot, pop a cool shot or just shoot 3. Also I suggest front loading armor. I usually 3 back armor however 2-5 is what the normal is, as this is a face time build you'll have to stare at them to do damage, but gotta twist too when you need to.

#34 draiocht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:22 PM

[mod]Nonconstructive and off-topic posts & replies have been removed.[/mod]

Please report misconduct for moderator review and
refrain from retaliating, referencing, or otherwise replying to such.

If preferred, 'Ignore' Preferences may be found in one's Forum Profile through the "Edit my Profile" button.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users