Crazy Idea #234 Lower Arm And Hand Actuators

7 replies to this topic

#1 Felbombling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 18 November 2017 - 07:47 PM

So, I was tinkering with my Loyalty Kit Fox the other day and stripped the hand actuators off of it. Not due to needing the space, mind you, but because I felt the Mech looked better without them.

Thinking about that today, an interesting thought came to me. What if the presence of Lower Arm and Hand Actuators on a Mech improved their climb rating? It is a soft stat that could have real benefit in game.

I just think about maps like Canyon Network, and instead of a Mech just using their legs to climb a steep incline, having the benefit of the arms and hands, too. To me, that just sells what being a Mech is all about, as opposed to a tank or other armoured vehicle. Being more mobile than traditional motorized units led to their dominance.

Thoughts?

*** clarity edit ***

Edited by Felbombling, 18 November 2017 - 08:10 PM.

#2 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 07:49 PM

lower arm actuators give you the ability to move your arm weapons left to right, they already serve an important purpose

however hand actuators do nothing. and yes hand actuators probably should give a minimal bonus, like +5% hill climbing per hand actuator.

if they ever readd knockdowns, hand actuators should help your mech stand up faster from being knocked down too.

#3 Felbombling

• 2,973 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 18 November 2017 - 08:10 PM

Right... I meant I removed the hands, not lower arms. Good ideas, though, Khobai.

#4 Holy Jackson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 222 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 08:43 PM

This is fair since the hand models are one more thing to catch a stray missile that you could have avoided if you didn't have hands.

#5 SirNotlag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 335 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:39 AM

View PostKhobai, on 18 November 2017 - 07:49 PM, said:

lower arm actuators give you the ability to move your arm weapons left to right, they already serve an important purpose

however hand actuators do nothing. and yes hand actuators probably should give a minimal bonus, like +5% hill climbing per hand actuator.

if they ever readd knockdowns, hand actuators should help your mech stand up faster from being knocked down too.

Hand actuators actually do something, I'm pretty sure they increase the mechs chance for critical hits by 2.5% each. I am not 100% on this but I remember when clans first came out people where asking PGI why we would put them on if they did not serve a purpose and that was their answer.

Sure it does not make logical sense but it is something.

Edited by SirNotlag, 19 November 2017 - 09:40 AM.

#6 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:51 AM

I'd rather see them have something that has less of an effect on gameplay but still useful. E.g:

-10% collision damage (5% per hand); the logic being that you're using your hands to cushion the impact, and if you want to charge into a 'mech full speed you can pretend it's a pseudo-punch.

#7 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 11:03 AM

View PostSirNotlag, on 19 November 2017 - 09:39 AM, said:

Hand actuators actually do something, I'm pretty sure they increase the mechs chance for critical hits by 2.5% each.

Hand actuators have a chance to be hit when the location the are in is crit, so they effectively reduce the chance of equipment in the arm being destroyed by a crit.

#8 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 19 November 2017 - 11:08 AM

I think that hand actuators currently improve your arm mobility a little bit? Can't confirm that one though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users