R68 -- After A While.

21 replies to this topic

#1 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:34 PM

So, we've have the R68 urbanmech for a while -- it's that missile-armed urbie if you've been living under a rock. 3E and 2M, it is kind of decent. It's quirks aside from basic armor quirks and heat-dissipation, are missile range +10%, missile velocity +10%, missile cooldown -15%, energy range +5% and energy cooldown -10%.

First build i've used is 2x SRM6A and 3x ML -- yes not ERML, just ML. It's a brawler type, since i found that Urbies are tanky as ****. It's the build that worked best for me.

Second build i've used is 2x MRM10 + 3x ERML + AMS, it's okay somewhat. That 2x MRM10 is lacking for a missile, but i've always been able to compensate with the lasers for poking anyways. I wouldn't use MRM30 + 3x ERSL, because i wanted to have both weapons being useful at the same range.

My third approach involves Rocket Launchers -- two RL20s, for 80 damage for one time deal, and it was either 2x ERML + LPL or 3x LPPC. Good alpha for a single burst, and then after there's no more rocket launcher, the arm is a shield.

Admittedly, i tried LRMs, but it's that weight limitation that is the massive barrier. Just for fun, but wasn't really serious. LRM15 has little missile each volley that is easily shut down by AMS, LRM20 has either little ammo or 1 less ERML -- and if i use ERSL, then LRM is my only long-range weapon,and it's easily countered.

In my conclusion, the Urbie R68 is a really different experience, it has good pros and cons. MRM build is interesting, SRM builds are a beast.

But R68 would have benefited so much with 3M and 3E instead. Sure, you can have 1-time 120 alpha, but it's not really like it's pretty serious and could be sustained the entire match. Other lights that are faster could also pull off that amount of Rocket-Launcher alpha and they're not a concern, why would this be a concern?

I suppose that it would be a go-to mech aside from R60L and K9 cause the two are pretty meta, leaving the R63 and R60 behind. But if anything, they deserve a bit more love.

3x SRM6A [12t] would take up so much space, i have to use XL170 for 15-tons freed for 2x SRM6A [8t] + 3x ML [3] + 3t Ammo [3] + 1 DHS. i could forgo the 3x ML to 3x ERSL, or the lasers altogether, but that defeats the point:

SRM6A x2 + 3x ML = 40.8 Alpha, versus SRM6A x3 = 38.7 alpha. Already consuming 12 tons out of 15 tons, with 1.5t for 3x ERSL leaves only 1.5t for SRM ammo. which isn't exactly that sustainable. We could forgo Artemis, yes that's true, but that would be for really close-ranges, and brawlers and strikers -- high alpha they deserve for being overspecialized at close-range.

MRM10 x3 would result in only 9 tons, when the MRM30 uses 10 tons. at the same 15 ton allotment, that's 6 tons for some other things like 3x ERML + 3t of ammo, when the MRM30 doing 10 tons with 3x ML only has 2 tons of ammo.

The beauty of 3M is that we could have 3x MRM10 and save 1 ton versus 1 MRM30, or 3x SRM4 and save 2 tons for 2x SRM6 without artemis. Free tonnage solves a lot of the R68's gripes, shame it wasn't done.

No, that's not to say that R68 is a terrible variant, nor it couldn't be worked with, no far from it. I actually had a blast playing with the Urbie. But honestly, it could have done it's missile role a little better. As nice as the quirks it has for the missile, i believe i'd like it better when it has better flexibility with what you could put.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 19 November 2017 - 03:59 PM.

#2 Muujig612

• PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:30 AM

What are the quirks?

#3 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:43 AM

View PostMuujig612, on 19 November 2017 - 12:30 AM, said:

What are the quirks?

Aside from basic armor quirks and heat-dissipation, it has missile range +10%, missile velocity +10%, missile cooldown -15%, energy range +5% and energy cooldown -10%.

#4 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:12 AM

Quirks make the ASRM6 sound pretty good at mid range. A bit of boost from the skill tree combined with the quirks and you're firing out at around 330m. It even gets a velocity boost to help at mid range and some energy range bonus. The energy and missile cooldown quirks end up giving the regular ML and the ASRM6 about the same cooldown (duration included).

Best build seems to be 2 ASRM6+3 ML combo for synergy.

#5 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:27 AM

View PostDakota1000, on 19 November 2017 - 01:12 AM, said:

Quirks make the ASRM6 sound pretty good at mid range. A bit of boost from the skill tree combined with the quirks and you're firing out at around 330m. It even gets a velocity boost to help at mid range and some energy range bonus. The energy and missile cooldown quirks end up giving the regular ML and the ASRM6 about the same cooldown (duration included).

Yeah, really really love that build on this one.

#6 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 19 November 2017 - 07:40 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 18 November 2017 - 11:34 PM, said:

Admittedly, i tried LRMs, but it's that weight limitation that is the massive barrier. Just for fun, but wasn't really serious. LRM15 has little missile each volley that is easily shut down by AMS, LRM20 has either little ammo or 1 less ERML -- and if i use ERSL, then LRM is my only long-range weapon,and it's easily countered.

When you did LRM20, did you use an actual 20 rack, or did you go 15+5? LRM15+LRM5 is a little hotter than a 20, but is more crit slot efficient, it recycles faster, it has better shot grouping, and is lighter.

#7 stealthraccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:04 AM

I’m really enjoying the -R68, I’m slaying heavies and assaults like crazy.

I haven’t found a solid LFE build, but I’ve long been wed to the XL lifestyle. The MRM’s have been surprisingly effective, the SRM’s just aren’t my thing and LRM’s are just silly-fun-troll.

Figure the standard endo/dhs/lff w/ 1 JJ:
XL170, MRM30 w/2 tons, 2ML - balanced but gets eaten by Linebackers.
XL180, MRM30 w/2 tons, 3erSL - short range affair, easy to get impatient.
XL180, MRM20 w/1.5 tons, 3ML, RL10, AMS w/1 ton - rocket punch capable and good for a long game.

#8 Seranov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:14 AM

View PostDakota1000, on 19 November 2017 - 01:12 AM, said:

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 19 November 2017 - 01:27 AM, said:

Yeah, really really love that build on this one.

Can you guys post a Smurfy's for that? You got me really interested, because I've been terrified of Urbies for quite awhile now, and I'd like to see what it's like on the other side.

#9 Unnatural Growth

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:43 AM

I tried the 2xMRM 10 build, but still don't like the missile spread vs. weapon range on MRM's. I do like the 2xSRM 6 and 3xML build. Just works if you can stay in cover until you can close the range. At 200 meters and closer, it's pretty good, but at point blank range, it's a monster.

#10 Alkabides

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 217 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:50 AM

MRM20 and 2 medium pulse lasers.... having a blast with that little trash can.

#11 Zookeeper Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBeer City USA

Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:02 AM

Go down to an XL 125 and you can fit in 2 LRM 15's and 3 ERSL. Lots of trolly good fun!

Been playing MRM 10 and 20 with the XL125. It's underwhelming. That missile arem is very fragile compared to the ballistic arms on my other Urbies. I'll probably change it to a 2 x SRM6 build with ML's.

#12 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:46 PM

View PostSeranov, on 19 November 2017 - 09:14 AM, said:

Can you guys post a Smurfy's for that? You got me really interested, because I've been terrified of Urbies for quite awhile now, and I'd like to see what it's like on the other side.

Sadly its not on smurfy yet, but its basically this build but you add in 2 ASRM6:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b183a686287f1fa

#13 Seranov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:49 PM

Okay, cool. That's pretty much what I thought it would be, but I have effectively no idea what I am doing when it comes to Light mechs, so I figured I'd ask. Thanks.

Edited by Seranov, 19 November 2017 - 01:49 PM.

#14 W Winter

Rookie

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 02:29 PM

View PostSeranov, on 19 November 2017 - 09:14 AM, said:

Pick up a urbie. Do it. You will not regret decision

#15 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 02:58 PM

View PostEscef, on 19 November 2017 - 07:40 AM, said:

When you did LRM20, did you use an actual 20 rack, or did you go 15+5? LRM15+LRM5 is a little hotter than a 20, but is more crit slot efficient, it recycles faster, it has better shot grouping, and is lighter.

Actual LRM20 with artemis actually. XL145 too. I admit, I could forgo the Artemis, but then really i don't wanna.

#16 SFC174

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 695 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 03:47 PM

View PostW Winter, on 19 November 2017 - 02:29 PM, said:

Pick up a urbie. Do it. You will not regret decision

Yes, its the only light mech I truly enjoy playing (although the Grinner has been winning me over).

#17 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 03:57 PM

Im not a light pilot and this isn't a Clan mech but, it is wicked fun to play....

Full survivability skill tree. 180xl. MRM 30 and 1 ERML. So, far I've had a high of 625 in damage and 3 kills.... Not too bad for a super spud potato, Aye-up...

I will try the streaks though. If you ST out the MRM's you can go out to 550+meters but up close with other lights the streaks are soooooooo much more efficient.

#18 Alkabides

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 217 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 03:53 PM

2srm6 and 3 medium lasers is real.... good lord sweet baby Jesus is it real!!

#19 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 04:33 PM

2 SRM6 (w/o A) + SNPPC.

Boom!

#20 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:54 PM

i have been running 2x MRM 10, 1 LL and 2 Er Meds, Max XL.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users