Ballistic Assault Mech?

19 replies to this topic

#1 Grim Pummeler

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 02:09 AM

Which assault or heavy mech should i choose for this build:
I want 4 ballistic hardpoints and make a full on ballistic mech.
Cram ultra AC's in the sucker and get all the AC quirks..

Which assault is best for this?

I've been playing mauler mx90C trial mech and it's been fun as hell.
4 UAC5's build is hilarious.

I wonder if i could bump it up a notch. Maybe UAC10's?

I just want 4 ballistic hardpoints and the best mech that has the right quirks for it.

So which mech fits best for this build?

#2 Grim Pummeler

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 02:16 AM

Then i saw this...

#3 Broganos

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 128 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 19 November 2017 - 02:41 AM

Kodiak 3 is a great mech for Dakka and more mobile than a Dire Wolf. You can run 2 UAC10s and 2 UAC5s or even 4 LBX-10s easily. You can do 4 UAC10s but there is an issue with the heat....

The Dire Wolf can carry a lot of weapons (I run mine with 5 UAC5s and 3 medium lasers) but it is very slow and unforgiving to inexperienced pilots.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Broganos, 19 November 2017 - 04:12 AM.

#4 Jay Leon Hart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 03:04 AM

For Clan, as mentioned, the best bet is a Kodiak (KDK-3). Great mounts, plus being a BattleMech you can tweak the engine to go as fast as you like, as fast as 100 tonners go anyway. I'd skip anything over a 375 though, they're not really worth the tonnage past that point, with 395 > 400 being the worst jump.

The Dire Wolf is your go-to if you want to try 5-8 Ballistics instead of just 4. 8 class 2 ACs is a relatively popular build, but requires the Hero to do, otherwise you're limited to 6 Ballistics.

You could also try the Mad Cat Mk II (MCII-B ). 4B, 2 in each arm, so they're not quite as safe as in a Kodiak, but they are still at cockpit level and you get a better range of movement with them in the arms. Being on a lighter 'mech with JJs means you can position yourself easier than in a Kodiak, too. It's also a BattleMech, so you can tweak the engine. Again though, avoid the 375-400 range, especially the 400.

[Edit] Whoops! Forgot halfway through I was meant to do IS as well Posted Image [/Edit]

For IS, there are more choices, though some are better than others.

For 90 tons, there are those Maulers (MAL-1P, MAL-1R, MAL-MX90) for 4 UAC5 or 2 UAC10 + 2UAC5 (this requires a STD engine) or 4 LB10X (also requires a STD engine). The MAL-MX90 has 6B, so it can do 6 AC2 or 6 UAC2, or you can go with a STD engine for 5-6 AC5.

The Cyclops Hero Sleipnir has similar options to the MAL-1P & MAL-1R with 4B.

For 95 tons, you have the newly released Nightstar. The NSR-10P can fit 4 AC5 in the arms & comes with ECM, but it can't fit more than 2 UAC5s. The NSR-9P can do 4 UAC5 or 2 UAC10 + 2 UAC5, or even 4LB10X. I wouldn't recommend more than 3 AC10 or 2 UAC10, due to Ghost Heat.

For the 100 tonner, there's the King Crab. KGC-000B can fit 4 UAC5, it's actually the (C) build. KGC-000 has an extra 1B per arm for 6B total, so if you want 6 AC2 or 6 UAC2, get this one instead.

The Annihilator is probably the best Ballistic platform the IS has, but it pays for that by being as slow (or slower) than a Dire Wolf. ANH-1P is arms only, so 4 UAC5 is the best is can manage. ANH-1A & ANH-1X have 1B per arm & side torso, so fill them with class 5s and/or class 10s, just make sure you don't hit Ghost Heat. The ANH-2A adds 1B per side torso, for 6B total, so if you feel brave you could run 6 UAC5 while going at 40.5 kph.

Edited by Jay Leon Hart, 19 November 2017 - 03:21 AM.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:49 AM

Clan: Dire Wolf can do 4. If you buy the Dire Wolf hero you can get 6.
Kodiak 3 has a number of options.
Night Gyr gives you a number of options as a Clan heavy.
Timber Wolf has 5 ballistics possible, though one of them is limited to a single slot and not much free tonnage due to a locked huge engine and a lot of locked double heatsinks.

IS: Annihilator gives you 4 to 6 mounts, torso and arms.
The Mauler as you said gives you up to 6 mounts all STs.
King Crab gives you up to 6 mounts, all arms . Its hero puts them on the ST instead.
Cyclops Hero can give you 4, 2 per ST.
Night Star gives you 9P and 10P give you quad ballistic options on 95 tons, one with 2 on arms and 2 on STs and the other with 4 on arms.
Banshee 3M gives you 4 ballistics but they are on a single ST.

Jagermech has 4 and 6 ballistic options (all on arms),
there's two options in Riflemen that have 4 ballistics, all on arms.
Warhammer has a 4 ballistic option.
Cataphract 4x has a 4 ballistic option (arms).

And that's it.

#6 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:09 AM

The Kodiak is currently a trial mech. I suggest you try that.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:15 PM

Even twin UAC/10s is pretty hot thanks to ghost heat if you double tap too quickly. Quite infuriating. (Experience from the Nightstar.)

#8 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:14 PM

The handsdown strongest ballisic assault mech is the Annihilator due to its insane armoring okish hitboxes and nummerous hardpoints.
Its only downside is its low speed. But be honest...going 52kph in Anni or 57kph in your Mauler ... there is no large difference.

If you must go faster and cater to the boom, zoom, run run twitchibamm faction Posted Image the Kodiak KDK-3 is the mech you want. But it pays dearly with absolutely no offensive or defensive quirks.
Its large, even hitboxes and flat frontal profile make it even squishier.
What you got is the potential to hellishly high damage bursts.

Edited by The Basilisk, 19 November 2017 - 01:14 PM.

#9 JigglyMoobs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 07:10 PM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 19 November 2017 - 01:14 PM, said:

The handsdown strongest ballisic assault mech is the Annihilator due to its insane armoring okish hitboxes and nummerous hardpoints.
Its only downside is its low speed. But be honest...going 52kph in Anni or 57kph in your Mauler ... there is no large difference.

Did you say....ANNIHILATOR? Posted Image

My four key tips for shooting in a ballistics assault mech:
  • Actually aim
  • Aim every shot. Even your double taps.
  • Aim by using your keyboard (your legs) as well as your mouse.
  • Experiment to establish a proper shooting cadence for the particular UAC you are using.
Points 3 and 4 needs some explaining.

You need to uses your legs to turn because the torso speed and Yaw limits of most assaults are insufficient to aim well at either moving or stationary targets. You need to mix keyboard taps and mouse movement to bring your cursor on target sufficiently quickly.

When you shoot, your arms should be locked to get proper weapons convergence. You can choose to either hold the arm lock while you aim or release the arm lock between shots. Depends on what works for you.

You do NOT need to shoot at full double tap rate to be effective. Make sure you are not over shooting and increasing your jamming chances. Make sure also that you are not UNDER shooting and limiting your damage output. If you follow 1 and 2, your cadence should be just about right.

Edited by JigglyMoobs, 19 November 2017 - 07:14 PM.

#10 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 565 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 11:18 PM

It's stupid and it probably shouldn't work at all, but 4 AC2's in a 'phract 4x is funny as heck. I giggle endlessly when I ride it. I've been surprised at how effective it can be.
I'm sure that saner minds will explain how it is probably the worst thing that you could do, but I don't care. It just makes me giggle.

#11 Grim Pummeler

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:53 AM

After thinking long about it. I've finally found the mech i'd like to purchase.

It's the hunchback IIC.
But which one should i go for? HBK-IIC or HBK-IIC-C

What i understand is: Other has 2 med lasers and two AC20's. And the other has 4 med lasers and two AC10's.
Should i go for the HBK-IIC cause i do like that ballistic splurge to the face and the AC20 one feels more impactful for bursts.

Please i need a quick reply. Is the only difference between these two, the weapon loadout?
Is the AC20 one more prone to get out of ammo fast?

#12 Grim Pummeler

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:56 AM

Hmm.. The HBK-IIC has only 28 shots per AC20.. So i'll pretty much get out of ammo fast and be useless with only two medium lasers.. While the HBK-IIC-C has 240 shots and 4 lasers.. I think i'll go with the HBK-IIC-C

I hope i made the correct choise. I just like the style of this mech :)

#13 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 09:03 AM

View PostGrim Pummeler, on 20 November 2017 - 08:56 AM, said:

Hmm.. The HBK-IIC has only 28 shots per AC20.. So i'll pretty much get out of ammo fast and be useless with only two medium lasers.. While the HBK-IIC-C has 240 shots and 4 lasers.. I think i'll go with the HBK-IIC-C

I hope i made the correct choise. I just like the style of this mech Posted Image

You know you can change the weapons and ammo, right? Also, the HBK-IIC-C has 2 UAC10s with 4 tons of ammo, whereas the HBK-IIC has 2 UAC20s with 2 tons of ammo, hence the ammo disparity.

The HBK-IIC is superior to the HBK-IIC-C because it has 2B per torso, allowing for a greater range of Ballistic builds, while the -C has 1E per arm instead, which isn't really worth the trade.

#14 Grim Pummeler

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 09:07 AM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 20 November 2017 - 09:03 AM, said:

You know you can change the weapons and ammo, right? Also, the HBK-IIC-C has 2 UAC10s with 4 tons of ammo, whereas the HBK-IIC has 2 UAC20s with 2 tons of ammo, hence the ammo disparity.

The HBK-IIC is superior to the HBK-IIC-C because it has 2B per torso, allowing for a greater range of Ballistic builds, while the -C has 1E per arm instead, which isn't really worth the trade.

Thanks!

Bought the HBK-IIC.
Thank you for the quick reply!
Yes! You are correct. I can do quadruple AC2, ect..
I got my first medium mech! And the hunchback feels amazing to play!

#15 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 09:28 AM

View PostGrim Pummeler, on 20 November 2017 - 09:07 AM, said:

Bought the HBK-IIC.

I got my first medium mech! And the hunchback feels amazing to play!

Good pick, easily a top 5 Medium Posted Image

#16 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 565 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 09:31 AM

I don't have the IIc variants, but the IS ones are versatile and highly recommended.

#17 Broganos

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 128 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:40 AM

The Hunchies are great mechs, glad you found a mech you like :)

The high mounts let you poke and you can be very quick to relocate as well.

#18 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:28 PM

The hunchback is really squishy mechs these days, and it's maneuverability is subpart for a medium.

The good part is you have really high weapons mounts. Make sure you take advantage of that. Position yourself so that those main guns barely peak over terrain. Also, get jjs and learn to use them to get into unusual and advantageous firing positions.

With ac2s you should learn to shoot well from long range, 500 to 800m.

Also, aim for the cockpit. The incoming rounds will mostly impact it, but they will hit close enough to blind your opponent and offset their aim.

If this is your first ballistics mechs you're in for a steep learning curve. Clans are good with lasers and erppc, but their ballistics suck if you can't boat a sufficient number. The hbiic doesn't have enough firepower to state down anybody and isn't fast enough to get away. However, you can learn almost any mechs piloting skill with it. So, it's a good mech to learn. Once you get good with it you can pilot a lot of other mechs well.

#19 Grim Pummeler

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:54 PM

View PostJigglyMoobs, on 20 November 2017 - 01:28 PM, said:

If this is your first ballistics mechs you're in for a steep learning curve. Clans are good with lasers and erppc, but their ballistics suck if you can't boat a sufficient number. The hbiic doesn't have enough firepower to state down anybody and isn't fast enough to get away. However, you can learn almost any mechs piloting skill with it. So, it's a good mech to learn. Once you get good with it you can pilot a lot of other mechs well.

Mechs i have:
Atlas AS7-D (UAC20 + 4 med lasers + 2SMR's)

Jaegermech JMS-6 (2AC5 2AC2 2 med lasers)

And now the hunchie.

I don't like laser builds that much because of the heat. And missile builds are kinda boring (except SMR shotgun builds)

My playstyle is more of a bursty in your face with a mix of longer range sniping. Ballistics are my thing.

#20 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:07 PM

View PostGrim Pummeler, on 20 November 2017 - 10:54 PM, said:

Mechs i have:
Atlas AS7-D (UAC20 + 4 med lasers + 2SMR's)

Jaegermech JMS-6 (2AC5 2AC2 2 med lasers)

And now the hunchie.

I don't like laser builds that much because of the heat. And missile builds are kinda boring (except SMR shotgun builds)

My playstyle is more of a bursty in your face with a mix of longer range sniping. Ballistics are my thing.

Biggest problem with HBIIC is the lack of speed and turning rate. It's sort of hard to aim and torso twist really well. Plus if you get in too close or your position becomes compromised, you can't run away fast enough to save your armor, which is relatively thin. So people mainly use them as mid range sniping or trading builds, like this:

https://www.twitch.t...eos/203031160##

You could swap that to ballistics, but it will be a bit challenging to do those peakaboo shots if you have to lead your target. Though it is a very versatile mech.

If you ever want to try out some in your face shotgun and run type mech try the Asn-21 with an all SRM load out. Lots of speed, capable of daring raids and flanks.

Edited by JigglyMoobs, 20 November 2017 - 11:13 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users