What's The Deal With The Nightstar?

11 replies to this topic

#1 Tereva

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 120 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:04 PM

It's brand new, and pretty good looking, however you barely see any in the field, so what's the deal?
Is it because of the low number of energy hardpoints in most of the variants?

Shoot straight

T.

#2 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:37 AM

yes, the fact that 2 of the 6 varients have less than 4 E hardpoints (especialy considering they are both "reinforcement" varients) is definately the problem.

more seriously,
it is a 95 ton Mech (meaning CW/faction play players are likely to avoid).
it is still only available for real money (meaning those who would try it out for MC or Cbills have yet to have the chance to do so)
it has never before appeared in a Battletech/Mech franchise computer game (so a lot of the games auidance has never seen it before meaning few to no nostalgia buys)

those are probably the main reasons

#3 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,761 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 20 November 2017 - 02:12 PM

While not OP by any stretch of the imagination the NSR is a decent mech, at least in quick play. I run them often, my fav being the -9P. Considering their tonnage, they aren't great for laser vomit but you can build some decent ballistics/energy rides. Their default load outs are pretty good too.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#4 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 20 November 2017 - 02:27 PM

The Nightstar was at the point of its announcement the incarnation of meta.

A potential dual Gauss dual HPPC Mech with still around 54-57kph and enough heatsinks to fire several salvos.

Then they nerfed the Gauss and PPC meta.

Additionaly they designed the Nightstar in a so hillariously wrong and gimpish way every possible advantage he could have had from beeing an avianoid with weapons on cockpit level was more than neutralized.

As it came out it was a mech with to few hardpoints of any kind or not enough slots to use the hardpoints he has in any way that would justify wasting an assault mech slot in qp or that much tonnage in FP.
Additionaly it is either slow or squishy or hillariously undergunned.

In its optimum it is a slow and hillariously huge marauder with awkwardly wide arms that will cause lots of teamdamage or fire half of its weapons into some corner.

For hillpoking it is too slow, too cumbersome, for cornerpoking it is too wide and has bad armhardpoints, for armor trading it is too large and has not enough firepower to make up for its short life span when going into the open.

Edited by The Basilisk, 20 November 2017 - 02:31 PM.

#5 Tereva

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 120 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:45 PM

Ok, I see.

It is funny how Mad Cat and Piranha are all the rage while the Nightstar has such a bad reputation before even being launched. Not saying this is not justified, but nobody know how the Piranha will perfom for sure but they have a positive feedback on the forums while nobody even talk about the NSR.
I wonder if PGI is keeping on eye on those reactions, try to figure out why to increase Mech revenues .

Shoot straight

T.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:23 PM

Am currently sporting no less than 7 weapons per mech and having no trouble with the night star. Had no issues with weapon height in relation to the cockpit and the mech performs reasonably good. My greatest issue is ghost heat from dual uAc/10 burst fire.

One build sports twin uAc/10 with twin Er ml and several Er sl as a cold backup weapon. Another sports a tag, 4 Light PPCs and twin uAc/10s and their heat issue is entirely due to the uacs.

Third one i haven't tinkered with yet.

#7 Bonzai VI

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 170 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:30 PM

As long as you don't chainfire/put the UACs on different buttons there will be no ghost heat.

#8 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:26 PM

View PostBonzai VI, on 20 November 2017 - 08:30 PM, said:

As long as you don't chainfire/put the UACs on different buttons there will be no ghost heat.

Kinda funny how chainfiring actually causes *more* heat in this situation. In general though never chainfire is a good bit of advice.

#9 Bonzai VI

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:35 AM

Well, it IS a bug, so it shouldn't be a problem^^

But yeah, chainfiring nearly never helps.
It's much more useful to concentrate on twisting + tanking and then putting one good shot into the enemy instead of having three days of chainfire cuz you wanna shoot your 6 medium lasers.^^

The only situation in which I think chainfire could help, were if the enemy would be cored cherry red and you don't need much damage to destroy the component.

But back on topic: I'll probably get myself a Nightstar as soon as they're released for c-bills.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1843cb5a0967f49
This could work pretty well.
The remaining tonnage for a different ballistic, jump jets, a bigger engine, shuffling around armor you name it.
Just wanted to get the basic idea across: a heavy punch that can hold up DPS, works the way I built my Highlander-IIC.
Only problem, I have no idea what the agility numbers are, those decide wether the equipment works or not, but the 95° torso yaw sounds pretty nice.^^

Edited by Bonzai VI, 21 November 2017 - 05:37 AM.

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:26 AM

View PostBonzai VI, on 20 November 2017 - 08:30 PM, said:

I get ghost heat anyway.

Tap tap. Tap tap. Tap tap overheat.
That's with the UAC/10s alone.

4 Light PPCs fired at once from 0.
Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap overheat.

Each LPPC generates 5-0.225 heat = 4.775 heat for a total of 4x 4.775 = 19.1 heat.

8 taps * 19.1 heat is 152.8 heat before we count the cooling and time in between with 3.7 seconds to cool between each shot.

Meanwhile...Twin UAC/10s at 3.5-0.157 = 3.343 times two per tap, with 2.5-0.417 = 2.083 seconds between each pair of taps for a total heat to a pair of 13.372 heat.

Even if we ignore the time factor, I'm getting 3 tap pairs of 13.372 heat to shutdown.. or shutting down at 40.116 heat which we all know is WELL below MWO's MINIMUM shutdown threshold for double heatsinks.

Hence, shutting down in 3 double taps should be an impossibility.
Therefore I must be suffering from ghost heat.

Side note:
(The minimum possible shutdown threshold for DHS on all mechs BUT the Urbie is with a 100 rated engine 4 internal DHS + 6 external DHS = 47.)
(For an Urbanmech, the minimum possible is 60 rated engine 2 internal DHS + 8 external DHS = 46.)
(Not factoring in environment, taps measured in Polar Highlands, increasing my base threshold by +25% on top of my heatsinks, further increasing the evidence that I am, in fact, suffering ghost heat.)

Edited by Koniving, 21 November 2017 - 05:54 AM.

#11 Bonzai VI

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:34 AM

That's no ghost heat the UAC10s are simply hot...

Edited by Bonzai VI, 21 November 2017 - 05:35 AM.

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:56 AM

View PostBonzai VI, on 21 November 2017 - 05:34 AM, said:

That's no ghost heat the UAC10s are simply hot...

I mathematically proved it is ghost heat.
Total heat generated before overheating from 0% heat is LESS than the minimum POSSIBLE threshold on any mech, in any scenario, on ANY non-hot map.

Edited by Koniving, 21 November 2017 - 05:57 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users