Disconnected Mechs Invulnerable, First Player Who Dies Then Takes Over The Disconnected Mech.

10 replies to this topic

Poll: Disconnected mechs invulnerable, first player who dies then takes over the disconnected mech. (39 member(s) have cast votes)

Disconnected mechs invulnerable, first player who dies then takes over the disconnected mech.

1. Yes (21 votes [53.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 53.85%

2. No (18 votes [46.15%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.15%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Rhent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:25 AM

The idea being, that disconnected mechs are now invulnerable until a player dies, then the dead player takes over the disconnected mech for the rest of the match.

#2 Mister Bob Dobalina

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:39 AM

Although I agree with you, that Discos are an annoying thing at times I have to point some issues such proposal would create.
  • Who get's the points for anything done in that Mech? If I take over a DC mid game, do I take over what the Mech has achieved? Do I forfeit the points I've made before taking over another Mech? It ends up being insanely complex to figure out who gets what.
  • I don't use all my consumables just on principle and quite often I end up not having them be restocked. Don't like the idea of someone wasting my stuff I have to pay for. And yes, a DC might not be always my fault.
  • What happens when I want to get back into the game and you're in my seat. Just my bad luck then? Again, DC might not always be my fault.
  • Is this mandatory or can you decide to take over just by first-visit-first-pilot?
  • What will happen with my fire-groups? Since I don't count on the other driver to just take over them willy-nilly, I'll probably have to expect him changing everthing to his needs and me sorting it back together.
All in all (and that's just from the top of my head right now), I would consider the proposal to create more issues than it would actually solve. I'd rather see PGI put that effort in stabilizing their servers and reduce Discos that way.

#3 MechanicalWraith

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:17 AM

Bearing in mind that this feature will probably never happen because it involves coding. And PGI...

1. Who get's the points for anything done in that Mech? If I take over a DC mid game, do I take over what the Mech has achieved? Do I forfeit the points I've made before taking over another Mech? It ends up being insanely complex to figure out who gets what.
  • Either you get points for everything you do, across all mechs you use, or scoring stops upon losing your own mech.
2. I don't use all my consumables just on principle and quite often I end up not having them be restocked. Don't like the idea of someone wasting my stuff I have to pay for. And yes, a DC might not be always my fault.
  • Consumables get locked on the DC's mech.
3. What happens when I want to get back into the game and you're in my seat. Just my bad luck then? Again, DC might not always be my fault.
  • When the owner of the mech reconnects, he/she regains control and scoring resumes for the owner as normal.
4. Is this mandatory or can you decide to take over just by first-visit-first-pilot?
  • In spectator mode, there'd be a button to take control of the mech in question, maybe disabled by excessive team damage or suicide.
5. What will happen with my fire-groups? Since I don't count on the other driver to just take over them willy-nilly, I'll probably have to expect him changing everthing to his needs and me sorting it back together.
  • Ideally, the spectator-turned-pilot gets a clone of the mech's weapon groupings to edit as desired, and the owner retains the original mappings.

Edited by MechanicalWraith, 21 November 2017 - 02:18 AM.

#4 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 12 December 2017 - 04:50 AM

You get the stock load out of the mech, the mech is available after 5 minutes of the game and you get 0 pts using it.

Edited by Damnedtroll, 12 December 2017 - 04:50 AM.

#5 Peace2U

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 11:43 AM

Rhent,
This has been brought up before.
See the 'DC Dilemma' post here:
https://mwomercs.com...__fromsearch__1

The previous posters here have brought up some good points and ideas.
However, it seems that few are interested in utilizing the disconnected player's equipment.
If you, or anyone watching this post has any more valid suggestions we could offer our prestigious programmers, feel free to add to this conversation.
Peace

#6 aardappelianen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 195 posts
  • Locationamsterdam

Posted 17 January 2018 - 11:56 AM

This and killed players get to respawn as elementals until all mechs are down plz

#7 Peace2U

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:40 PM

You must have been playing MWL lately, 'aardap'- that's how they do it.
Peace

#8 aardappelianen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 195 posts
  • Locationamsterdam

Posted 18 January 2018 - 02:45 PM

Lol do you mean Mechwarrior : living legends? No I didn't know about that until i just googled it :P

#9 Peace2U

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:37 PM

A lot of people playing it.
Watch some U-Tube videos to see what it's about.
Many people say it is the most realistic type of 31'st century combat???
Like jumping out of your mech and taking over other equipment on the battlefield - - -
Peace

#10 Ausajax

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:08 PM

This is a good idea with the following caveats:

1. No extra score, c-bills or xp for piloting a DC mech
2. Cannot use consumables or change weapon groupings
3. Only applicable for mechs that have not moved since the drop. If a DC part way through the game, original pilot can reconnect. If DC before the drop, then original pilot cannot rejoin this game - will have to join new game.

#11 Generic Internetter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 03:08 PM

View PostThomster, on 20 November 2017 - 11:39 AM, said:

Who get's the points for anything done in that Mech? If I take over a DC mid game, do I take over what the Mech has achieved? Do I forfeit the points I've made before taking over another Mech? It ends up being insanely complex to figure out who gets what.

Everything anyone does in their own mech counts, but everything done in the DC mech doesn't count (except for penalties, such as TK).

I don't use all my consumables just on principle and quite often I end up not having them be restocked. Don't like the idea of someone wasting my stuff I have to pay for. And yes, a DC might not be always my fault.

Just lock consumables on the DC mech. Better to at lest put the thing to use even as a meat shield rather than watch it just sit there doing nothing.

What happens when I want to get back into the game and you're in my seat. Just my bad luck then? Again, DC might not always be my fault.

Bad luck, sort your PC out. I suffer with my crappy gfx card all the time - I wish I could lend my mech to a teammate when I DC.

Is this mandatory or can you decide to take over just by first-visit-first-pilot?

In spec mode, just click a button. First to click gets it.

What will happen with my fire-groups? Since I don't count on the other driver to just take over them willy-nilly, I'll probably have to expect him changing everthing to his needs and me sorting it back together.

The mech you take into battle is actually an instance (clone) of your actual mech in the mech bay.
So all PGI would need to do is unlink the grouping changes the replacement player makes (or rather, check if it is the owner before linking the weapon groupings back to the mechlab).
Basically, in-game weapon group changes shouldn't feed back to the mechlab unless you're the mech owner.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users