Ruminations On Leadership And Use Of Company Command Order System

9 replies to this topic

#1 Nine-Ball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 605 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:22 PM

An average MWO PUG match is a motley crue of different skill levels, playstyles and personalities. Trying to marshal said differences into a jury-rigged bowling ball of doom in rather short order is a unique (and fun) challenge seemingly overlooked by everybody in the game.

Outside of begging and pleading with those who have a mic to point out targets and provide intel on the ever changing situation I would offer up the mysterious Take Company Command icon. Using it gives you a shiny gold-star to show off to everybody on your team. Plus, as I am certain nobody really knows, it also gives you an expanded "talk" list that lets you both point out things on the map (during dropship) and via pointing your crosshairs to anywhere on the map.

Now before going into further detail on the use of said command functions I would like to stress that this should only be used by those with a good knowledge of each map and how meta plays out to a certain degree; this should be used as a sort of framework to point your guns in the right direction and nothing more. Even at the best of times not everybody will agree to every command. But outside of people who use mics to communicate (which supercedes the TCC function) it can be a rather effective stopgap.

Normally you would have the default talk commands:

- Help (me)
- Affirmative
- Negative
- Sorry
- Target Spotted

If you decide to take the reigns of command with TCC you would also have:

- Protect (friendly) [aim at specific friendly mech you want to use command on]
- Flank Left/Right [aim at ground/area or use via map]
- Hold (Area) [aim at ground/area or use via map]
- Scout (Area) [aim at ground/area or use via map]
- Request UAV [""]
- Request Airstrike/Artillery [""]
- Move (to) [""]
- Capture (target) [aim at target, works on domination circle, conquest points]
- Attack (Primary Target) [aim at specific enemy mech]

Note some commands cannot be used in conjunction with other commands: if you issue a flank command you must rescind said order before re-issuing a hold command. You cannot use protect friendly command and attack enemy command at the same time either. Requesting UAV/Airstrikes also follow the same rule.

However, you can issue separate commands to each individual Lance if need be; but if you use the commands via the "talk" prompt it uses the Lance you drop with as the default one.

Doesn't sound complicated, does it? Posted Image

The potential this has to help smooth over the rougher aspects of certain mechs is virtually untapped at this point. For those who want or feel the need to take charge and help direct the pain train to its destination should step up and make themselves accountable. The more individuals that take that leadership mantle for themselves and help with establishing some teamwork and cooperation in a PUG would go along way into helping establish a more teamwork oriented culture and meta.

But, how does one go about being a leader?

Simply put in an online game like MWO the basics of leadership boil down to knowledge of the maps, mechs and overall meta and taking charge at the beginning of any game. Since there is no formality the "how to" of leadership is based on individual personality and/or humor (or lack thereof). There are many ways to motivate individuals, although I suppose in a game like MWO that rewards more money for winning/doing better the incentives should be rather simple.

At the very least "not being a ****" will help persuade people to at least acknowledge your gold shiny star. Remain calm, carry on and go down with the ship if need be. "At all hazards, a man must keep up appearances. Dignity, I say. Dignity above all!"

Now why should "I" take up the reigns of command and get nothing in return other then obvious scorn and hatred above all? At the very least it would be a good exercise in trying to get people to work together. While not something you can put on a resume it would nonetheless help with the basic building blocks of what leadership as a whole constitutes. What better way to get your feet wet with taking charge and the responsibility that comes with attempting to lead a team of 12 (ornery) individuals to victory?

In short, we must be willing to use the tools provided and at times take charge of an unruly mob of fanatics to lay waste to the opposition. The more willing we are to communicate and make known certain issues (mech setup etc) the better a team can (hopefully) work to address such shortcomings and show them who Bruce Springsteen is.

Edited by Nine-Ball, 20 November 2017 - 11:26 PM.

#2 Nine-Ball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 605 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 09:41 AM

Bump cause my ego is massive.

#3 Tier5ForLife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 481 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 11:19 AM

Funk the command wheel, get and use a Mic.

#4 _Chaplain

• Pip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 02:09 PM

What every drop caller, EVER has wanted to say:

#5 Tier5ForLife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 481 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 02:26 PM

It's "do your damn job" which also means, do not do someone else's.

#6 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 19 September 2018 - 03:24 AM

Using the command wheel can help, but it will not replace drop calling.

#7 Tier5ForLife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 481 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 04:09 AM

View PostHorseman, on 19 September 2018 - 03:24 AM, said:

Using the command wheel can help, but it will not replace drop calling.

What he said!

#8 Nine-Ball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 605 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 12:25 PM

Bump again because people apparently haven't read this fountain of information!

#9 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,805 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 08 June 2021 - 01:32 PM

You lost me on "Ruminations". I mean, I know what the word means, but communication to the masses needs to be simple. Posted Image

Rule 1 = pep talk. Keep it Simple Sergeant. "Hey all, let's ball up and win this thing. Head to F5-F7 and hold up for the slow guys, then we see where the reds are going."

Rule 2 = corral. "Don't get spread out. Stay together so they can't pick us off."

Rule 3 = call targets. Not just ones you can see, but ones multiple people on your team can reach. Calling a target doesn't do any good if half the team couldn't shoot it even if they wanted to.

Rule 4 = adapt. make changes, give directions, don't wait until AFTER the flank collapses or half the team is dead. And this is the tough one, as you have to be decisive with limited information without micro-managing the herd of cats you're dropping with who won't listen to you if it sounds like too much trouble...

Leading a quick play drop takes practice, a little talent, and a whole lot of patience.

#10 Nine-Ball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 605 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 01:53 PM

Update:

As Company Commander you can manually alter Team Lance's while in-game: just drag and drop one name over the other to swap them.

This way if your grouping up you can ensure all 4 are in the same lance!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users