Trying To Decide What To Get Next

18 replies to this topic

#1 Trollunge

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 08:36 PM

So I built a lrm20 catapult and it was, okay.

So I have been trying to earn cbills to get a new mech mostly using the current run of trial mechs. So far I make the most money with the trial jenner and i am having a fair degree of panicked fun doing a mix of scouting and harassing in the jenner and the Raven. I am not sure which I like more even though I am technically doing "better" in the jenner, if the cbills earned is any indication.

The problem with the raven is I seem to suck with lasers.
So far the 4 mechs I am looking at are
Bushwacker of some variety
Raven-3L
Jenner IIC
Marauder 3R
And kind of thinking kit fix c but not sure what to replace lasers with or if people find its support useful.

As silly as it sounds I thought about making a raven with a narc and a snub nose ppc(or yknow 3 falmers if I am feeling silly) I think the reason jenner works so well for me is I could unload my srms and run away, lasers I have to stick around and maintain aim. I usually focus on legs when piloting lights.
Sadly the medium mechs currently on trial I didnt really like so I really do not know about Bushwacker other then people seem to like it.
I will admit the mad-3r is mostly due to ppcs being my favorite mechwarrior weapon

So yea aside from the weird heavy as an outlier I like Harassing, scouting, and kneecapping. And I dont really like lasers.

Edited by Trollunge, 21 November 2017 - 10:13 PM.

#2 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 22 November 2017 - 03:28 AM

All bushwackers are pretty strong - it's a medium that can solo assaults, with good hardpoints and great frontal profile.

DO NOT look at mechs from the perspective of their stock build. The 3R's stock loadout has HUGE heat issues, but there are strong brawler builds for it (my favourite currently is :UAC/20+4MPL),

Catapults aren't that good with LRM20s in my experience. Try dual LRM15s and some backup weapons - 4xML for C1, 2xML+2xSRM6 for C4, 4xSRM4 for A1.

Edited by Horseman, 25 November 2017 - 08:00 AM.

#3 Broganos

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 128 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 22 November 2017 - 01:13 PM

The Marauder 3R is one of my favourite mechs. Really tanky with a decent punch. I run mine with 4 medium lasers and 2 LBX-10s which suit my play style, not tried PPCs as I can't really stand them. You twist to your right to protect that torso, which gives you epic survivability and some late game finishing with the LBXs.

Bushwackers are great mechs, especially if you like Scouting. The X1 is a nice MG boat with SRMs, you tear through legs with it. I like the P2 with small laters, SRM6s and heavy MGs. Can still keep the speed up without needing a light - which allows you to zombie with two lasers even when you loose both torsos.

#4 Trollunge

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 08:44 PM

View PostBroganos, on 22 November 2017 - 01:13 PM, said:

The Marauder 3R is one of my favourite mechs. Really tanky with a decent punch. I run mine with 4 medium lasers and 2 LBX-10s which suit my play style, not tried PPCs as I can't really stand them. You twist to your right to protect that torso, which gives you epic survivability and some late game finishing with the LBXs.

Bushwackers are great mechs, especially if you like Scouting. The X1 is a nice MG boat with SRMs, you tear through legs with it. I like the P2 with small laters, SRM6s and heavy MGs. Can still keep the speed up without needing a light - which allows you to zombie with two lasers even when you loose both torsos.

What would you recommend fro hit and run, scouting bushwackers. The X1 sounds about right for me.

#5 Keltan

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 05:59 AM

They gave a hint they may have a mech C-bill sale starting next week, might want to wait on buying a mech for C-bills. No promises, though.

Edit: No c-bill sale on Monday. Decals, colors, and mech packs are on sale. Sorry.

Edited by Keltan, 25 November 2017 - 04:57 AM.

#6 Zh0u

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 393 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 November 2017 - 06:18 AM

View PostKeltan, on 23 November 2017 - 05:59 AM, said:

They gave a hint they may have a mech C-bill sale starting next week, might want to wait on buying a mech for C-bills. No promises, though.

Cyber Monday deal? If so, I'll wait. ;) Thanks for the heads up.

#7 Trollunge

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:15 AM

In that case how is the mad-bh2? I think I might get that with some mc since it is on sale then save up and see if stuff goes on sale for cyber monday cbills wise.

#8 Broganos

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 128 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:36 AM

The Bounty Hunter 2 is amazing, my favourite mech. Run with an AC20, 6 medium Lasers and you have a shield side on an already tanky mech. Good c bill earner and I would recommend this to anybody - torso twisting like made and shoot the AC accurately. Those are skills to build for any mech, but this just excels at it.

For scouting with Bushwackers, you have great hit boxes and tons of armour when skilled up. Just protect your legs and run the enemy over. Keep your speed up over 80 (ideally 90) and most of the time short range engines are your friend. As stated above, I tend to run a standard engine and still move about 88. If I switch to a light in the same build, I am then doing 97. That is enough speed to get out of (and into) trouble.

Hope that helps :)

#9 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:04 AM

The BH2 is also a pretty good laser vomit mech. The arm hard points area bit low but you do have one in the right torso which is up high.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#10 Trollunge

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 04:12 PM

Okay then, one last question. I ended up getting the 14.95 black friday mc pack. So after the BH2 I have 1088 left, should i save for a paint scheme? Or do you think pirates Bane might be worth it? I am kind of looking for a scout as well.

#11 Whipley

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 04:26 PM

Pirate's Bane is fun, but it's got paper armor. If you can afford the Commando hero, it's a much tougher light that can wreak some major havoc. Slap 4mpls on there and go to town.

#12 arcana75

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 05:26 AM

View PostTrollunge, on 24 November 2017 - 04:12 PM, said:

Okay then, one last question. I ended up getting the 14.95 black friday mc pack. So after the BH2 I have 1088 left, should i save for a paint scheme? Or do you think pirates Bane might be worth it? I am kind of looking for a scout as well.

It's all over, but with 1088 you should have either saved it or bought 7 mech bays @ 150MC each. If you intend to play this game for at least 6 months you're going to need mech bays for all the mechs you'll buy using cbills.

Mech Con and Xmas are coming, you can bet there will be sales then too.

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 07:37 AM

View PostTrollunge, on 21 November 2017 - 08:36 PM, said:

So I built a lrm20 catapult and it was, okay.

So I have been trying to earn cbills to get a new mech mostly using the current run of trial mechs. So far I make the most money with the trial jenner and i am having a fair degree of panicked fun doing a mix of scouting and harassing in the jenner and the Raven. I am not sure which I like more even though I am technically doing "better" in the jenner, if the cbills earned is any indication.

The problem with the raven is I seem to suck with lasers.
So far the 4 mechs I am looking at are
Bushwacker of some variety
Raven-3L
Jenner IIC
Marauder 3R
And kind of thinking kit fix c but not sure what to replace lasers with or if people find its support useful.

As silly as it sounds I thought about making a raven with a narc and a snub nose ppc(or yknow 3 falmers if I am feeling silly) I think the reason jenner works so well for me is I could unload my srms and run away, lasers I have to stick around and maintain aim. I usually focus on legs when piloting lights.
Sadly the medium mechs currently on trial I didnt really like so I really do not know about Bushwacker other then people seem to like it.
I will admit the mad-3r is mostly due to ppcs being my favorite mechwarrior weapon

So yea aside from the weird heavy as an outlier I like Harassing, scouting, and kneecapping. And I dont really like lasers.

Quick tips:
Lasers... Need to aim and keep it on a specific spot of the enemy until the beam stops for best results. So say if you aimed for a leg, keep it on the leg. Don't do the laser circle nonsense. Pulse lasers are easier to use though their range is more limited.

My Catapult C1 uses twin PPCs, if that helps any.

Jenner trial probably did better due to being ever so slightly faster and 6 lasers = 30 damage per shot as opposed to 2 ER large lasers just coming out to 18 with a longer firing delay. So that's probably why.

Kitfox, you could replace the lasers with missiles or ballistics. A single Gauss Rifle is doable, or a couple of UAC/2s/LBX2s. Light MGs can work well too. Its speed being limited to 97 kph kind of lends it more to the lore intended role of being a long range sharp shooter. Wouldn't try to cram higher than UAC/5s into it though, the weight is so limited.

Hope you avoided the commando hero -- don't get me wrong it is awesome, I love mine, but its energy only...

Sounds like you got a Marauder hero. Your Raven idea is solid enough, I've used Ravens with 2 PPCs to great success, and even a single ER PPC... those are 7 tons each, the Snub is 6 tons and easier to aim, and twin Light PPCs might only have the power of a single PPC but they shoot more frequently and only weigh 6 tons. A heavy PPC has quite a punch, too but its heavy.

Look forward to hearing how you're doing so far.

#14 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 25 January 2018 - 06:21 PM

I like heavies Cataphracts,Catapults,Orions, Orion ll-C, Warhammer Black Widow. Currently I am working on Linebackers and T-Bolts.

#15 ThinkTankt

Rookie

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 08:30 AM

Bushwacker P2 with 2LBX10 and 3[er]ml rocks in brawl/scout and has some distance too...

#16 Slade the Blue Woe

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:12 AM

don't buy a IS Jenner what ever you do, its a huge dissapointment, max armor and survival tree and it dies in 2-3 shots, arms weapons and arms get removed quickly, so its a walking stick often, my firestarter and cheetah are 10X better.

#17 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 04:16 PM

Stalker one variant has ECM, the Misery has a ballistic slot, the can move 60+kph, they take well to ERPPC,Laser Vomit,SRM Splat,LRMs, and medium range brawling with MRMs. Armour is good even without skills. What more do you need?

#18 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 04:23 PM

Been almost two months to the day since I posted to this thread.

Even longer since the original guy did.

Edited by Koniving, 02 February 2018 - 04:24 PM.

#19 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 06:23 PM

View PostKoniving, on 02 February 2018 - 04:23 PM, said:

Been almost two months to the day since I posted to this thread.

Even longer since the original guy did.

Opps it showed up as an active thread. Mea Culpa.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users