Hero Mech (Or General Mc Spending) Advice

11 replies to this topic

#1 Skit82

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:41 PM

Just picked up an MC bundle after starting the game a few days ago. I'm interested in picking up at least one hero mech for c-bill gen, but I'm not really sure what to look at.

Mech criteria so far:
- mostly enjoying heavies/medium (mid/long range)
- leaning towards clan loyalist overall, but not decided
- still learning assaults & brawling, it feels punishing in solo
- lights seem interesting, I haven't spent much time yet in them

Influencing thoughts:
- with Omnipods, it seems to me clan heroes are less valuable from that perspective than IS heroes?
- are there any "must-have" heroes to unlock specific pods or configs?
- I've been keeping an eye on steam packs as well and may snag one of the bundles for premium time and another chassis towards faction play
- will put a chunk of the MC towards bays and (maybe) premium time if it hits sale

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Skit82, 21 November 2017 - 11:42 PM.

#2 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 22 November 2017 - 01:29 AM

Steam packs are generally a rip off.

I recommend:

I.S.
Locust-PB (at 750 its almost a must buy as the value per MC is very high)
Urbanmech K9
Jenner Oxide
Griffin Sparky
Rifleman Legend Killer
Thunderbolt Top Dog
Warhammer Black Widow
Battlemaster Hellslinger

Clan
Adder Cinder
Huntsman
Stormcrow
Marauder IIC Scorch

or nothing. You will always need mechbays I suggest you load up on those as they infrequently go on sale.

Premium time may or may not go on sale for Cyber Monday. If it does not, I recommend you pick up a $15-$20 mech package from the webstore at a later date. Those include 30 days of banked premium in the purchase price. That's how you make significant sums of money.

#3 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 565 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:22 AM

I would add the Arrow (BJ hero), Yen Lo Wang (CN9 hero), TDK (Commando hero), and maybe even the Tempest (Archer hero) to Spheroid's list. Maybe not worth it for full price, but on sale... why not? I have the Grid Iron, too, and like it well enough but I only got it for the cheerleader.

#4 Broganos

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 128 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 22 November 2017 - 01:18 PM

My personal favourites are these:

Locust Pirates Bane (great light, ECM, fast and fun)
Nova Breaker (great for scouting, nice money maker)
Timberwolf Warrant (nice money maker, looking to add to my drop deck)
Marauder Bounty Hunter 2 (tough, fun, slow, but tough... so tough)
Marauder IIC Scorch (only got mine today, but great firepower)

#5 Barkem Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 22 November 2017 - 01:53 PM

MC sale for black friday now, and Ciber monday sale coming.

Just think, Hero mechs on sale at half price.

Have fun deciding. Maybe look at the configurations and then look for youtube video's on them.

Too bad people can not get that cheerleader any more on the grid Iron. (the only hero mech I spent full price on).

#6 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,760 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 22 November 2017 - 04:56 PM

If you want to get a Steam pack, wait until they go on sale; Steam runs 40% sales pretty often and the packs are pretty good value then. You won't get Hero mechs, rather Champion mechs with a 30% c-bill boost instead of xp points, as well as a camp pattern, colours, some c-bills and gxp points

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#7 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 565 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:38 PM

I picked up the Griffin 1E and Thunderbolt Top Dog. Hopefully I can make them work.

#8 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 02:24 PM

View PostErtur, on 23 November 2017 - 01:38 PM, said:

I picked up the Griffin 1E and Thunderbolt Top Dog. Hopefully I can make them work.

Love the Sparky. Haven't played the TD but Thunderbolts are great overall. Good buys all in all, have fun :)

#9 Phoenix4427

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 22 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 November 2017 - 02:32 PM

My two favourite heavies. Jade kite for clan, *uac10, 2 cerppcs, 2csrm6) and black widow (2 ac10, 4 medl) for IS. 2 or 3 buttons for weapons control, both viable for quick play or faction war, great credit farmers.

I have an ongoing love affair with the scorch and have just acquired a huntsman pahket and they are excellant as well. Nova breaker if you're looking for a good clan scouting mech thats versatile for quickplay as well.

#10 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 01:05 PM

My absolute favorite hero in the game (that i actually own) has to be the MAD-BH2. Its a aquired taste since you physically cant make it go super fast (if 70 KPH is too slow for you dont bother), but its one of the strongest and reliable IS mechs ive ever played, most games end with over 500 dmg (1000+ every other game), and it just massacres entire teams since it has a combination of very good deadside profile. Provided you know how to shield (and dont make the potato mistake of using a XL), the bloody thing has around 400 or so effective HP if incoming round hits ur LT and only does the 40% damage transfer. Ive managed to outbrawl quad LBX/AC/UAC-10 kodiaks with it, prolly the only mech that id consider it a viable strat to charge a kodiak headon and still have a good chance of murdering it.

As to loadouts that work, my favorite (and most reliable performer) is 1HRG, 6ERML, 1ERSL (you can ditch the ERSL but i had 0.5t leftover and 1 energy hardpoint). Its not super easy to play since you really cant fight effectively past 400m, but if you have patience to wait until teh brawl starts, know how to use cover, and dont walk into a open field, itll take down 2-3 mechs on its own without team support since its got PPFLD and even the lasers are really precise and efficient when you have good aim. If you arent a huge fan of short range (i know many people dont do well with brawlers of any sort), you can try a combination of your choice of ballistic weapon (usually RAC5/AC10/GR), and ERML spam with optional LPL/ERLL/LL addon. This lets you hit for near full dmg at 500m (or more if gauss and ERLLs), and still have a bit of short range capability (it tanks damage regardless of what range ur being hit at). That and if you arent a huge ballistic fan, you can always forego that hardpoint and run something like 3ERLL/LPL+4ERML, the standard nothing special always effective laser vomit build (its not teh best mech for pure lazors, but it can do it well enough).

Aside from that, if you like the thing at all, the hero cutefox is really fun (and despite what people say, compared to the CB models, is one of the most blatant cases of P2W) since you get 4 high mounted energy (and lets face it, a 30t mech without access to 6+ MG or rocket hardpoints isnt gonna be using anything else effectively) which work incredibly well. Most people swear by 6ERMLs, ECM, and alot of DHS, but i personally have been doing better with 4MPLs and 2MGs (all stock pods for the quirkfest). ECM isnt all that valuable for me (was so a few years back, but these days i dont use it on lights since they are already tonnage starved to the point where 1 more DHS or laser is better then ECM).

Obviously the cutefox in general is an aquired taste and i dont reccomend getting it unless you have tried the regular models and want something a bit more competitively viable, but for those that like supporty style slightly slow lights, the purifier is a great choice, and actually does well with a variety of energy loadouts from ERML/MPL to ERLLs or even 1ERPPC+ERSLs if you are sadistically inclined.

Finally, the last hero i own thats really really good is the SCORCH. Its more brawl focused (most of the good builds use 4SRM6 with your choice of ballistic arms), but you can still do some mid-long range builds if you use dual gauss with some sort of ATM/LRM hybrid (LRMs are bad and i wouldnt use em, ATMs can be solid if you understand how to use em).

If you dont want to brawl, one good option ive come across is dual gauss with ATM-18. Its a little wimpy in the ATM department, but it can move decently fast, has good firepower, and it is effective from point blank to ~1km with those gauss rifles. If it wasnt super awkward id use that build more then the usual brawl setup with 4SRM-6, but ive gotten 1500 dmg games in it on multiple occasions, just hold down the trigger for ATMs, wobble around some between shots, and try to hit the same component with teh GRs every shot.

#11 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 26 November 2017 - 01:45 AM

Mech packs are 30% discounted for Cyber Monday. The older ones include premium time. Act now.

#12 arcana75

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 05:22 AM

View PostSkit82, on 21 November 2017 - 11:41 PM, said:

Just picked up an MC bundle after starting the game a few days ago. I'm interested in picking up at least one hero mech for c-bill gen, but I'm not really sure what to look at.

Mech criteria so far:
- mostly enjoying heavies/medium (mid/long range)
- leaning towards clan loyalist overall, but not decided
- still learning assaults & brawling, it feels punishing in solo
- lights seem interesting, I haven't spent much time yet in them

Influencing thoughts:
- with Omnipods, it seems to me clan heroes are less valuable from that perspective than IS heroes?
- are there any "must-have" heroes to unlock specific pods or configs?
- I've been keeping an eye on steam packs as well and may snag one of the bundles for premium time and another chassis towards faction play
- will put a chunk of the MC towards bays and (maybe) premium time if it hits sale

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Don't know how you made out, but Premium Time was on 50% off MC prices during the CM sale. Using MC that you bought or better yet MC bought with sale bonus MC, makes Premium Time a solid investment. PT makes ANY mech a bonus mech, with 50% cbills and experience, better than any hero or champion mech's bonus.

Of cuz the real reason why players get hero mechs is the often OP hardpoints that heroes have over their normal variants. With hero mechs everyone has their favourites so I won't belabour you with even more options. Just think about what mechs you like then get the hero version. With Premium Time active, the 30% cbill bonus from hero mechs stack, but even without the 30%, the 50% from PT is plenty. With PT you should just save your MC for other things like mech bays.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users