If You Are Going To Make Events Based On Match Score... Give Proper Score To More Things Than Damage Only

15 replies to this topic

#1 Malachi Krieg

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 52 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 22 November 2017 - 09:37 PM

Seriously, how is this a hard concept to comprehend?

Sitting here trying to complete the bloody Tharkad event and down to nothing but the 15 x 250 match score challenge. Can I get it? No. Why? Well, because invasion matches pop so damned slowly that getting 15 in any reasonable amount of time seems nigh impossible. That's also assuming that each of the 15 that pop result in a 250 match score. Stomps happen and my score relying so heavily on 11 other people sucks.

So off I went to scouting. So far I am at 5/15 250s completed. Is that because matches aren't popping? Nope, they certainly are. I, as of writing this post, have 33 scouting matches that ended in in a score of 242-245 and 5 ending with scores over 250. Who the &*$# picks these numbers?

It's not a matter of being "good" either. I've been running 75% matches with good teams. Therein lie the problem. 400 damage and a kill + 3 assists and I walk out with just under 250 match score. Why? Because it is ALL based on goddamned damage. Oh, I get a whole whopping 1 point for actually picking up intel. Yay. The actual objective of extraction scouting nets me the least points. Brilliant idea! There's just no way for all four members of a decent-skilled scouting team to ALL come out with 250+ score because there's simply not that much mech on the field to deal the amount of damage it requires.

Next time, make it a single, albeit large, accumulative match score for the final challenge since you guys obviously can't seem to reward ANYTHING other than damage, regardless of the objective. God forbid you kill quickly and efficiently without spraying damage all over your target just for superfluous numbers.

Edited by Malachi Krieg, 22 November 2017 - 10:23 PM.

#2 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 23 November 2017 - 12:09 AM

View PostMalachi Krieg, on 22 November 2017 - 09:37 PM, said:

It's not a matter of being "good" either. I've been running 75% matches with good teams. Therein lie the problem. 400 damage and a kill + 3 assists and I walk out with just under 250 match score. Why? Because it is ALL based on goddamned damage. Oh, I get a whole whopping 1 point for actually picking up intel. Yay. The actual objective of extraction scouting nets me the least points. Brilliant idea! There's just no way for all four members of a decent-skilled scouting team to ALL come out with 250+ score because there's simply not that much mech on the field to deal the amount of damage it requires.

If you are unable to get the 250 Match score in Scouting why don't you play FP and get it
there ?

#3 Malachi Krieg

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 52 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 23 November 2017 - 03:14 AM

View PostMalachi Krieg, on 22 November 2017 - 09:37 PM, said:

Seriously, how is this a hard concept to comprehend?

Sitting here trying to complete the bloody Tharkad event and down to nothing but the 15 x 250 match score challenge. Can I get it? No. Why? Well, because invasion matches pop so damned slowly that getting 15 in any reasonable amount of time seems nigh impossible. That's also assuming that each of the 15 that pop result in a 250 match score. Stomps happen and my score relying so heavily on 11 other people sucks.

View Postlive1991, on 23 November 2017 - 12:09 AM, said:

If you are unable to get the 250 Match score in Scouting why don't you play FP and get it
there ?

As I stated in my previous post, the Invasion FW matches aren't popping at normal hours NA time. I've had up to 50 minutes in queue for a single invasion match, whereas I can roll 3-5 scouting matches in that wait time alone, not counting the match time itself.

Normally I am not up at the wee hours like this, I just happen to be up late tonight because the flu has me up. I got in ONE whole Invasion FW match and that still took 30 minutes in queue. FP in general has been legged and is mostly dead. There aren't enough players rolling it, even during events, to keep the queue popping fast enough for everyone. Putting such a high score combined with a high match score/count requirement is rough. 15 Invasion FW matches for me would be over 16 hours at the rate they pop for me. And again, as I said in my original post, that's assuming all 15 go well and there are no stomps (which happen). I've had a few of the Invasion FW matches end in just under 250 score because of the ******** "Let's base everything on damage" scoring system.

Edited by Malachi Krieg, 23 November 2017 - 03:14 AM.

#4 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 23 November 2017 - 03:34 PM

View PostMalachi Krieg, on 23 November 2017 - 03:14 AM, said:

And again, as I said in my original post, that's assuming all 15 go well and there are no stomps (which happen). I've had a few of the Invasion FW matches end in just under 250 score because of the ******** "Let's base everything on damage" scoring system.

How do you get that low, what mechs and builds are you running.

I had no problems getting 250 match score in scouting 8 out of the 10 games i played last night

#5 Dom925

Rookie

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 06:12 PM

I didn't even think the 250 event was meant to be done in scouting. It's certainly possible for one person to get enough points, but not all 4 players. So, why would your group want to play a mode that only one or two people could succeed at every match? I thought this event was to encourage Invasion drops, where it is pretty easy to get the 250 points required, even in a losing match. I dropped in 17 invasion games over the last 2 nights and all of them were above the 250 point limit.

#6 Malachi Krieg

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 52 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 23 November 2017 - 07:00 PM

View Postlive1991, on 23 November 2017 - 03:34 PM, said:

How do you get that low, what mechs and builds are you running.

I had no problems getting 250 match score in scouting 8 out of the 10 games i played last night

In either my Giffin or Bushwackers I'll come out of the match at 350-420 damage with a decent group (meaning they are carrying their own weight and tackling targets). Anything UNDER 450 damage generally does not net you 250 match score. Hence why I have had over 40 matches now that have come in just shy of the 250 make, usually 245ish.

Sure, it can be done. That's how I have 6 matches now in scouting that I have pulled 250-315 match score. But that required me to do almost all the heavy work on the team coming in at 500+ damage. And when that happens none of the other three even break 200 score.

If Invasions dropped more, it wouldn't be as much of an issue. But with Scouting as my main option for the FW challenge it's a case of 1 out of 4 people in the group (just based on the amount of damage light/medium mechs can take) might get hit the point mark while the other 3 come in just short. Bad math mechanics there. God forbid you have decent aim and kill quickly without spraying damage. I've come out with 2 solo kills (killing blows + KMDD) and still fell under the damned 250 point because of enemies in lights and those legs don't score up much damage before they are gone.

Edited by Malachi Krieg, 23 November 2017 - 07:02 PM.

#7 Malachi Krieg

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 52 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 23 November 2017 - 07:12 PM

View PostDom925, on 23 November 2017 - 06:12 PM, said:

I didn't even think the 250 event was meant to be done in scouting. It's certainly possible for one person to get enough points, but not all 4 players. So, why would your group want to play a mode that only one or two people could succeed at every match? I thought this event was to encourage Invasion drops, where it is pretty easy to get the 250 points required, even in a losing match. I dropped in 17 invasion games over the last 2 nights and all of them were above the 250 point limit.

If they are going to set a score limit it should be doable in BOTH modes in FW. The population playing FW is abysmal. And yes, as I have said several times in this thread 1 out of 4 can get the points in a scouting match, but that doesn't all come down to skill. There's luck to be had there no ifs, ands, or buts. Sometimes just happening to be in the right place where you can nail the enemies before your teammates start piling the damage on or just happening to land the killing blow for a few extra points decides whether you are the 1 out of the 4 or one of the remaining 3.

Sadly, I don't have a group or that might make Invasion drops a little quicker. But even that's a huge might. As I said the queue population on my gaming hours is dreadful. I have had 4 whole invasion matches come up since the event started (out for most of tonight due to Thanksgiving here). All of which were over a 45 minute wait in the queue before even going to the staging screen. 2 were decent matches, 2 were stomps as is often the case in my timezones against Clanners. Even in the matches where I managed 1400 damage I would MAGICALLY hit 246 and 248 match score. Mostly based on the killing blows, I guess. And with a decent team I can't guarantee that my shot will be the killing blow. If everyone's focused that's a crap-shoot.

Bear in mind I have, admittedly, had horrific luck in that every invasion match I have gotten... it's been siege. And IS has NEVER done well there. The other modes? We hold our own.

The problem in the end still comes down to whatever moronic method they opted to use for scoring matches. 99% of the point base comes off damage. That's... idiotic. Objectives count for ****... and that leads to the general spastic playstyle you often find in QP where people flail about just worrying about getting damage. If PGI had half a collective brain rolling around in their heads objectives would count for something. Oh, I dropped on this world to collect intel? I collected 8 or 9 points of intel, took out a defender (say 200 damage) and managed to get home with the goods? Here's your match score of 160... because actually playing the objective means nothing.

It's daft. And according to IS chat I am far from the only one having the issue.

Edited by Malachi Krieg, 23 November 2017 - 08:04 PM.

#8 Dom925

Rookie

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:24 PM

Just played 3 more Invasion. My team got stomped every time, and I got the match score, every time. It is easy to get if you play Invasion.

And I don't agree it should be easily achievable in every game mode. If the purpose is to encourage more people to play invasion, then this is exactly how it should be. There have been too many "participation" style events, where anyone who can run mech into the enemy and die can get the match score. It's nice to see one that requires a minimum of good play.

#9 Malachi Krieg

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 52 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:05 PM

View PostDom925, on 23 November 2017 - 08:24 PM, said:

where anyone who can run mech into the enemy and die can get the match score. It's nice to see one that requires a minimum of good play.

And my point was that damage should NOT be the significant scoring counter. That in itself would remove the worry about people running into a mech in a blaze of glory. Right now, you can do that in Invasion. Go for a decent alpha-vomit build and get a few off, charge. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Damage. As. The. Score. Is. Stupid. It promotes exactly what your concern is, not deter it. Play the objectives and get the points, suicide runs aren't going to cut it. You need to work and win and achieve... if damage wasn't 99.9% of your match score.

#10 MortallyTransparentCupcake

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 75 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:04 PM

Scouting: SOLO > KMDD > Components > DMG
I pull 300 dmg and get 250+ match score.
Git Gud, Casual.

#11 LordFatman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 183 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 10:55 AM

I needed over 400 dmg on win and 500 on lose to get 250 match score scouting what did you do Different I got 246 score when I got 386 dmg 1 kill 2 kmdd and 3 asst and we won

Edited by LordFatman, 24 November 2017 - 12:35 PM.

#12 Evildudeness

Rookie

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 02:48 AM

Popping UAVs helps with score, AMS/LAMS will score you points as well. I know it isn't a great amount but it does add a percentage.
The problem I've found is if you have a DC or Leeroy Jenkins on your team, against competent opposition, you've had it unless you're an exceptional player ( which I'm not).

#13 Omaha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 559 posts
  • LocationAnywhere

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:21 AM

Again, individual people worried about individual score numbers in a team game. There are things that also get ignored by score values. Such as distracting an enemy or multiple enemies, sacrificing yourself for the good of the team. Such as an assault not being able to fire dmg out due to twisting leading a charge. Countless un-score-able tactics and communications happen daily!

If it was up to me I'd fully remove all individual score aspects from the game. Just simply giving it a "team" score.

Such things as this promote self greed, and ego pride, to just say/prove to ppl. I'm better then you. Ask anyone that has lost a round, if they ever heard. Lets see what the scores are?

I do agree the whole ppl suiciding mechs to achieve the minimum required score isnt a fun thing. I don't see this kinda thing too much however, I see it happen. But I do not believe it's due to ppl doing this for an event to get score to gain reward. I see it happen anytime. Usually, it's a scouting mistake.

Edited by Omaha, 29 November 2017 - 05:32 AM.

#14 LordFatman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 183 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 10:06 AM

View PostOmaha, on 29 November 2017 - 05:21 AM, said:

Again, individual people worried about individual score numbers in a team game. There are things that also get ignored by score values. Such as distracting an enemy or multiple enemies, sacrificing yourself for the good of the team. Such as an assault not being able to fire dmg out due to twisting leading a charge. Countless un-score-able tactics and communications happen daily!

If it was up to me I'd fully remove all individual score aspects from the game. Just simply giving it a "team" score.

Such things as this promote self greed, and ego pride, to just say/prove to ppl. I'm better then you. Ask anyone that has lost a round, if they ever heard. Lets see what the scores are?

I do agree the whole ppl suiciding mechs to achieve the minimum required score isnt a fun thing. I don't see this kinda thing too much however, I see it happen. But I do not believe it's due to ppl doing this for an event to get score to gain reward. I see it happen anytime. Usually, it's a scouting mistake.

I agree its a team game and score should be giving to team work I see people running an hiding at end of objective modes just to save their stats as being alive gets more score and leader board crap

#15 Invictus XVII

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:19 AM

For this event i just took my AMS boats out for a ride and got well over 250 score every game. Clans love their LRMs.
But yes, the end goal was a bit strange since the match score is foobar. You normally dont look at it, you look at your end C-bill rewards is and count that as your proof of usefulness.

#16 Spectralfx

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 03:33 AM

But the problem of not giving score / C-Bill rewards to support roles or objective runners as been an ongoing issue with the game since day one.

Even in PG, running Lights is just so ... Ugh.

At least now the damage expected scales a bit based on the weight class but still. Always about the damage. hell, you can win a match by playing the game mode efficiently... but the game will effectively Penalize you for it.

So much that tonight we had a clan group just camp our spawn point instead of actually winning the game by blowing up O-gen... all for the C-bills and stuff.

But down the road, this is why people quit. Players feels like this game isn't rewarding for them and their support roles and all we have left is a bunch of Meta-try hard gangsters that tells people to get those specific laser vomit builds because everything else is effectively useless anyway.

But don't get me wrong, I am just some casual pugger... so what do I know?

Edited by Spectralfx, 27 December 2017 - 03:34 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users