#1 Zh0u

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 393 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 November 2017 - 06:50 AM

Hi all,

I have just started this game 1 week ago. So far I only have a Laser Vomit HBR-Prime build (mastered). Looking to purchase my 2nd mech (advice on this would be good as well). And started to explore the possibility of FP.

Tried Freelancing a match just now with a PUG and got utterly slaughtered.

Just seeking advice as to when would be a good time for me to seriously consider FP? How should I proceed from where I am now in terms of my next mech choices/setups? (since I am F2P, I need to make decisions carefully)

How many mechs would I need minimum to start FP?

Thank you all in advance!

#2 pheeere

• PipPipPip
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • 51 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in a non-euclidean corner of the map

Posted 23 November 2017 - 07:13 AM

Personally, I would not touch FP until you have more experience with the game, its mechanics, enemy Mechs and their strengths/weaknesses, etc. Because honestly, if you barely have an idea what you are doing, then you are a liability to your team.

Sounds rough, I know, and after all it is just a game that should not be taken so damn seriously. But I have played in an amateur sports team for 20 years, and I had to tolerate people in my team who could barely walk 10 feet without falling over their own two feet and it is damn frustrating to be stuck with those ;) Even in a team of 11 (or 12 in this case), just 1 or 2 liabilities will ruin the experience for many players. This community is quite competitive by nature, and they will welcome any new guy warmly and teach them how to be a better player, but you should be able to deliver the basics such as torso twisting, knowing when to poke or rather not, map awareness and basic knowledge of maps. You will get those by just playing and grinding your Mechs to those 91 points, trying out builds and what you feel comfortable with. Build your decks for roles (long range, for hot maps, etc.)

Give it time, don't rush it.

#3 Zh0u

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 393 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 November 2017 - 07:25 AM

View Postpheeere, on 23 November 2017 - 07:13 AM, said:

Personally, I would not touch FP until you have more experience with the game, its mechanics, enemy Mechs and their strengths/weaknesses, etc. Because honestly, if you barely have an idea what you are doing, then you are a liability to your team.

Sounds rough, I know, and after all it is just a game that should not be taken so damn seriously. But I have played in an amateur sports team for 20 years, and I had to tolerate people in my team who could barely walk 10 feet without falling over their own two feet and it is damn frustrating to be stuck with those Posted Image Even in a team of 11 (or 12 in this case), just 1 or 2 liabilities will ruin the experience for many players. This community is quite competitive by nature, and they will welcome any new guy warmly and teach them how to be a better player, but you should be able to deliver the basics such as torso twisting, knowing when to poke or rather not, map awareness and basic knowledge of maps. You will get those by just playing and grinding your Mechs to those 91 points, trying out builds and what you feel comfortable with. Build your decks for roles (long range, for hot maps, etc.)

Give it time, don't rush it.

Thanks for the word of advice. ;) I totally agree with your statements. I know well I am not ready for FP.

What about mech recommendations towards FP, for my next mech? Especially for F2P players...

#4 pheeere

• PipPipPip
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • 51 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in a non-euclidean corner of the map

Posted 23 November 2017 - 07:52 AM

I have only been playing since the beginning of this year myself, so I know where you are coming from. Been playing the TT for a bit longer. I was pretty lost at first in FP, too Posted Image

Regarding your drop decks, find out what playstyle you like, first. You can never go wrong with a long range laservomit deck, since that is the current meta. Unless you drop on hot maps, you will perform decently well with those builds. Sometimes you want a brawler or two, so maybe you prefer Pulse Lasers over ballistics, or the other way round? Or maybe SRMs? That's what you should try and find out now.

I can recommend channels such as Molten Metal on YouTube, Baradul is a great guy who always explains his builds and the "what's" and "why's" about it. In general, go to YT and watch some of the known guys and you'll learn a ton. The B33f is a fun guy and very knowledgeable, also Snuggles Time, Kanajashi, and many more. I watch those guys when I do laundry or chop veggies when I cook, two birds with one stone Posted Image What you should do to get hyped for really cool matches is to visit Haven Kendricks twitch channel. He is one hell of a cool dude and the most fun drop caller I have encountered so far. He's got this awesome voice and voice acting talent and goes into roleplaying mode often, always puts a fat grin on my face Posted Image And his alternative sound mod files for weapon sounds are awesome too, you can get them on his twitch channel as well. Improves a lot of weapon sounds, especially ballistics.

Here is one of the random Quickplay drops with Haven Kendrick from some dude on YT to give you a feeling for it:

Have you decided on Clans or IS, already?

Edited by pheeere, 23 November 2017 - 07:54 AM.

#5 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:10 AM

With the Hellbringer, Clan mechs for Clan contract.. Go merc first. And I would hold off on FP.

And with the the sales, get some MC and purchase some mechbays.. mechbay sales are usually only twice /year

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 23 November 2017 - 08:38 AM.

#6 Zh0u

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 393 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:02 AM

View Postpheeere, on 23 November 2017 - 07:52 AM, said:

I have only been playing since the beginning of this year myself, so I know where you are coming from. Been playing the TT for a bit longer. I was pretty lost at first in FP, too Posted Image

Regarding your drop decks, find out what playstyle you like, first. You can never go wrong with a long range laservomit deck, since that is the current meta. Unless you drop on hot maps, you will perform decently well with those builds. Sometimes you want a brawler or two, so maybe you prefer Pulse Lasers over ballistics, or the other way round? Or maybe SRMs? That's what you should try and find out now.

I can recommend channels such as Molten Metal on YouTube, Baradul is a great guy who always explains his builds and the "what's" and "why's" about it. In general, go to YT and watch some of the known guys and you'll learn a ton. The B33f is a fun guy and very knowledgeable, also Snuggles Time, Kanajashi, and many more. I watch those guys when I do laundry or chop veggies when I cook, two birds with one stone Posted Image What you should do to get hyped for really cool matches is to visit Haven Kendricks twitch channel. He is one hell of a cool dude and the most fun drop caller I have encountered so far. He's got this awesome voice and voice acting talent and goes into roleplaying mode often, always puts a fat grin on my face Posted Image And his alternative sound mod files for weapon sounds are awesome too, you can get them on his twitch channel as well. Improves a lot of weapon sounds, especially ballistics.

Here is one of the random Quickplay drops with Haven Kendrick from some dude on YT to give you a feeling for it:

Thanks, I have been following them before I started the game. Previously I am on the Mac, so I couldn't play it for myself, only watching videos on YT. Now I am playing via GeForce Now for Mac, so essentially I am playing on my 5-year-old Macbook. :P

Ever since I started reading the BattleTech novels, I am a Clan guy at heart. :P

View PostTarl Cabot, on 23 November 2017 - 08:10 AM, said:

With the Hellbringer, Clan mechs for Clan contract.. Go merc first. And I would hold off on FP.

And with the the sales, get some MC and purchase some mechbays.. mechbay sales are usually only twice /year

To start with the Merc, I need to be part of a unit? I am only F2P for now, but I managed to get 1 mechbay from the Daily Challenge.

#7 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:14 AM

You make your own unit to go merc.. 7 day contracts.. Going loyalist has deserter penalties, a 7-day penalty while you still fight for that faction, earning only base pay and no further loyalty points then 20% loss of Faction Loyalty points. But that is okay only after you earn the level to for the once free mechbay. Merc has something also has mechbay for a few of its levels.

But definitely purchase a few of the 50% off mechbays.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 23 November 2017 - 09:45 AM.

#8 Zh0u

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 393 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:17 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 23 November 2017 - 09:14 AM, said:

You make your own unit to go merc.. 7 day contracts.. Going loyalist has deserter penalties, a 7-day penalty while you still fight for that faction, earning only base pay and no further loyalty points then 20% loss of Faction Loyalty points. But that is okay only after you earn the level to for the once free mechbay. Merc has something also has mechbay for a few of its levels.

But definitely purchase a few of the 50% off mechbays.

Ok, thanks. So single-member units are common I supposed? And creating a unit is free?

So I can try to create a new unit and go Merc to have a hang of FP? I only have 1 Mech though.

Sorry for the multiple questions.

#9 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:57 AM

Many create their own unit so they can go merc, switch factions or even sides while not being stuck as a loyalist with its penalties. Create a merc unit, it is free. But FP requires 4 mechs.. there are trial Clan mechs that you can use, but as others have mentioned, do not jump it right away until you have some time/experience under your belt, or you may very well become very discouraged.

Faction Play has no matchmaker. Different times of the day will generate different types of games, dependent on which faction your contract is with. Right now tis late afternoon/evening in Europe, lot of veteran, aggressive pug players on IS side where as the Clan pugs tend to not be as aggressive nor working together. Come evening time in the US that tends to flip around, pug wise.

The veteran mercs themselves, when they change contracts can change the scope, with which faction tends to win more. Usually most are Clan mercs, tis one of the reasons IS has had a 265 ton limit vs Clan's 240 ton limit since December of 2016. It is only recently that, due to some mercs switching to IS, either as mercs or going loyalist for awhile, is the IS breaking even or ahead.

Take the above with notice that there is currently a FP event going on so lots of drops, but usually this time of day getting FP drops are rare, with it picking up in the afternoons/evenings USA time zones.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 23 November 2017 - 09:58 AM.

#10 ccrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:03 AM

You can try FP whenever. Key is To find people to play with to teach you the game. Download TS, pop in, ask to join a group. Explain that you want to drop and learn and most will happily talk builds, playstyles, mach purchases and strategies.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:12 AM

View Postpheeere, on 23 November 2017 - 07:52 AM, said:

He sounds like he belongs in a Mechwarrior game.

There was another guy, let me load up the Zhizhu campaign on my Megamek because after hearing him command a company, I made a cameo of him in my Megamek campaign.

Found him.

Panzer Magier.
Video provided by Em3r4ld

Though you can find him ALL over youtube on many channels.

He's often nicknamed the General in MWO, I gave him the rank of Major (so that he'd still be legitimately in the field) and specifically gave him a mobile LRM mechanized infantry as the ground commander with the pilot description:

Cynical.
Calculating.
Harsh.
Hilarious!

"I want to see two mechs killed and dead in the next 20 seconds. At least F****** one, even if I have to do it myself!"

Major Panzer Magier

Edited by Koniving, 23 November 2017 - 10:14 AM.

#12 Zh0u

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 393 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 November 2017 - 04:13 PM

Hi all, I just made a unit with only me in it. :P

Started to try out faction play, quite interesting. It's like a totally different ball game as compared to QP. I can still hold up a fight in Invasion (using Trial Mechs though).

Really hope I can complete the final challenge in time. 15x 250 match score... :( Want the Mech Bay and Night Gyr badly.

#13 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 09:47 AM

View PostZh0u, on 23 November 2017 - 06:50 AM, said:

Hi all,

I have just started this game 1 week ago. So far I only have a Laser Vomit HBR-Prime build (mastered). Looking to purchase my 2nd mech (advice on this would be good as well). And started to explore the possibility of FP.

Just seeking advice as to when would be a good time for me to seriously consider FP? How should I proceed from where I am now in terms of my next mech choices/setups? (since I am F2P, I need to make decisions carefully)

Thank you all in advance!

FP just has a higher expectation for coordination to succeed. Ironically if you play with a group it's actually a good way to learn the game - you've got 4 drops every match and the strategies all involve learning good positioning.

For a second mech as a Clan player you'll want one of the following - MAD IIC (the prime one with all energy harspoints). You'll set it with 9 MPLs or 2 HLLs and 6 CERMLs. You'll also want at least 2, preferably 3 Linebackers. Some will have all SRMs, some will have lasers. Linebackers are a strong 65 ton Clan mech. Finally you'll want a 6MG, 3HSL Most Lynx.

85 + 65 + 65 + 25 is 240. You'll also want a Huntsman or two and the ballistic and all energy HBK IIC and a couple Orion Iic.

That's going to let you build all the core decks you'll want for FW. For now as a next mech the laservomit MAD IIC is exceptional for QP and everything else and is a good, strong choice.

#14 Zh0u

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 393 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 25 November 2017 - 12:42 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 25 November 2017 - 09:47 AM, said:

FP just has a higher expectation for coordination to succeed. Ironically if you play with a group it's actually a good way to learn the game - you've got 4 drops every match and the strategies all involve learning good positioning.

For a second mech as a Clan player you'll want one of the following - MAD IIC (the prime one with all energy harspoints). You'll set it with 9 MPLs or 2 HLLs and 6 CERMLs. You'll also want at least 2, preferably 3 Linebackers. Some will have all SRMs, some will have lasers. Linebackers are a strong 65 ton Clan mech. Finally you'll want a 6MG, 3HSL Most Lynx.

85 + 65 + 65 + 25 is 240. You'll also want a Huntsman or two and the ballistic and all energy HBK IIC and a couple Orion Iic.

That's going to let you build all the core decks you'll want for FW. For now as a next mech the laservomit MAD IIC is exceptional for QP and everything else and is a good, strong choice.

Yes!! I just decided moments ago to get the MAD-IIC laser vomit build as my next mech and you just reinforced my decision. That's a great advice. I'll build my decks in that direction.

#15 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 01:12 PM

Yep. It should be your go to first drop. 9 MPLs, split in two halves - 5 on one side, 4 on the other, with a 0.5 second delay. It's cool running and strong at mid range and brawling. 2 HLLs, 6 cermls all in one Death Star Superlaser 78 pt burn at mid to long range (500-700m). Much hotter, not as good at pushing but a brilliant poke build.

So if you're looking long term at FW there is a couple of concepts to have in mind. Your mechs and the decks you build will be built for different maps and modes. Brawl and poke, hot and cold. You'll need a deck for each setup. So a hot poke deck, hot brawl, cold poke, cold brawl. Ideally you'll have mechs that are good hot or cold - MAD IIC 9mpl for example is a good brawl hot or cold. Your HBR is probably cold poke (it's a hot running mech - 2 HLLs, 4+ cermls, right?) while a 5 srm6 LBK or 4 srm6, 5 ersml is good brawl hot or cold.

Make sense? You'll want to design mechs to excel at one specific segment. Brawling or longer range poking and you'll want options that are heat manageable on different maps.

Building a stable of mechs is expensive, it's smart to plan ahead so you don't end up with something in an odd tonnage or of low value wasting a mech bay.

#16 Zh0u

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 393 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 25 November 2017 - 02:23 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 25 November 2017 - 01:12 PM, said:

Yep. It should be your go to first drop. 9 MPLs, split in two halves - 5 on one side, 4 on the other, with a 0.5 second delay. It's cool running and strong at mid range and brawling. 2 HLLs, 6 cermls all in one Death Star Superlaser 78 pt burn at mid to long range (500-700m). Much hotter, not as good at pushing but a brilliant poke build.

So if you're looking long term at FW there is a couple of concepts to have in mind. Your mechs and the decks you build will be built for different maps and modes. Brawl and poke, hot and cold. You'll need a deck for each setup. So a hot poke deck, hot brawl, cold poke, cold brawl. Ideally you'll have mechs that are good hot or cold - MAD IIC 9mpl for example is a good brawl hot or cold. Your HBR is probably cold poke (it's a hot running mech - 2 HLLs, 4+ cermls, right?) while a 5 srm6 LBK or 4 srm6, 5 ersml is good brawl hot or cold.

Make sense? You'll want to design mechs to excel at one specific segment. Brawling or longer range poking and you'll want options that are heat manageable on different maps.

Building a stable of mechs is expensive, it's smart to plan ahead so you don't end up with something in an odd tonnage or of low value wasting a mech bay.

Thank you so much! I have learnt a lot from your posts. I'm now on 9/15 for the Event FP reward. Got them all from Invasions. Should I grab a Huntsman (SRM build?) to farm for the rest in scouting? Or just save it up and keep grinding Invasion?

#17 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 03:48 PM

View PostZh0u, on 25 November 2017 - 02:23 PM, said:

Thank you so much! I have learnt a lot from your posts. I'm now on 9/15 for the Event FP reward. Got them all from Invasions. Should I grab a Huntsman (SRM build?) to farm for the rest in scouting? Or just save it up and keep grinding Invasion?

Good question. I would save for MAD IIC because at the end of the day the MAD IIC is a great money farmer in QP. So do the MAD IIC next and use it in QP with thev2xHLL, 6 Cerml build and you'll crank out the cbills the fastest. That build is great in FW and QP.

The Huntsman is great in scouting but moderate in QP. I would suggest your current goal should be farming space bucks. If toy can get a regular group of players to drop in FW with as a team that's the best option - I make 1-2 million space bux a drop in FW currently. However I drop in a team premade and that makes a world of difference. Otherwise you want a mech that's good in FW and a consistent money maker in QP.

That's the MAD IIC.

#18 Zh0u

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 393 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 25 November 2017 - 05:51 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 25 November 2017 - 03:48 PM, said:

Good question. I would save for MAD IIC because at the end of the day the MAD IIC is a great money farmer in QP. So do the MAD IIC next and use it in QP with thev2xHLL, 6 Cerml build and you'll crank out the cbills the fastest. That build is great in FW and QP.

The Huntsman is great in scouting but moderate in QP. I would suggest your current goal should be farming space bucks. If toy can get a regular group of players to drop in FW with as a team that's the best option - I make 1-2 million space bux a drop in FW currently. However I drop in a team premade and that makes a world of difference. Otherwise you want a mech that's good in FW and a consistent money maker in QP.

That's the MAD IIC.

Ok, thank you so much. :)

#19 Rick T Dangerous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 354 posts
  • LocationExactly above Earth's center

Posted 28 November 2017 - 04:48 AM

Hi all,

Hoi!

"Exploring" should include visits to the training grounds, so you can get to know the siege maps.

Sounds normal. My first FP match was horrible, 12 kodiaks rolled over us and only two of my mechs were non trials. Last drop in a stock Urbie, just for the lulz.

Seems you already seriously consider FP.
Please read at least the first post in this thread: https://mwomercs.com...ced-merc-pilot/

In addition:
You should have experience with all weight classes and roles before getting into FP, so you know what kind of maneuvers you have to expect. If you know how piloting a light mech makes the pilot perceive the battle, then you are more likely to shoot at the right spot to hit such a light pilot. Same goes for other weight classes and roles. The maps are different for mechs with or without jump jets, so having a mech with JJs (if only to explore the maps in the TG) is recommended.
Also, the standard builds ("metamechs") are nice, but you should use the mechs you are good with. Some people say that doing 500 dmg per mech should be minimum, and those people are absolutely right. So if you come up with an unconventional build that makes other players laugh until they see the damage you deal, use your build. It might give you the element of surprise (for a while, at least).
Dealing out damage and working with the team are two points of obvious importance, but also the skill to survive while dealing out damage is important. And being good in 1v1 combat comes in handy. Might sound strange, but some members of well known units might be excellent at teamplay, but the moment you find them alone somewhere they are lost.

4 of course. 8 would be better, to have two specialized drop decks. Don't cram your deck full with tonnage until you reach the maximum, choose the mechs you are good with. If that leaves 5 or 10 tons free, don't bother, a mech you feel comfy with is better than a mech that fills the drop deck but you just aren't that good with. In one match I've seen a dude open with a Highlander IIC that he lost pretty fast, his next was a Kodiak, also gone very fast, so he had two Mist Lynx left... and he didn't do good in those, either. So "your desired effective fighting conditions" (xX PUG Xx's words from his thread) are more important than having the heaviest mechs in your deck that you can come up with.

P.S.:
One word about ejecting by pressing "K". If your mech is too damaged, it's sometimes (strongly depending on the situation) better to eject than to risk being team-killed accidently. Sharing armor is important, but preserving one's K/DR is not really worth turning your team mates into involuntary team killers.

#20 TheMightySpin

• PipPipPip
  • Star Colonel
  • Star Colonel
  • 75 posts
  • LocationYour moms house

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:53 PM

If you're new to the game and looking for a place to grow as a merc, check out STAU. Their leader's a solid (and British) guy and they have training for new players as well. There's also always someone to drop with on and they're active in faction play.

If you've got Team Speak swing by TauGalaxy.EnjinVoice.com or find Formosa The God (there's an 'Add friends' tab at the bottom of the LFG tab, type in the name as written caps and spaces included) in game and send him a friend invite instead.

Regardless of whether you join one unit or another, invest in a headset or at least a mic so you can communicate with whomever you're playing with. You can get a decent Logitech headset for $15-20 to get started and it will really pay off when you can speak to the people you play with.

Edited by TheMightySpin, 04 December 2017 - 10:06 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users