#1 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 25 November 2017 - 02:02 PM

Hi folks!

I've been away from the game for about a year, and am looking at hopping back in. I played a couple of matches today and things seem to be business as usual with an assortment of cool new weapons and Mechs thrown into the mix. I usually run a Marauder 3R with PPCs and an AC20, or one of my hundreds of Cataphracts, and generally prefer putting standard engines into them because nobody expects a 'Phract to live after a torso falls off.

I've been looking at a medium or a heavy mech to buy, possibly with MC during the black friday sale. This is made especially attractive as you don't need to be buying 3 variants to grind all the skills up. My initial research suggests either a Huntsman or a Roughneck, with the Roughneck currently winning out as the Huntsman's a clan Mech, and I don't have oodles of clan tech or c-bills to buy it with.

When I buy a Mech, I tend to look for a high cockpit, high shoulder mounted weapon placement, and an even hardpoint type distribution. I also enjoy candle lit dinners in the Mech bay, and evening strolls along River-city beach.

Suggestions are most welcome!

#2 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 25 November 2017 - 02:22 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 25 November 2017 - 02:02 PM, said:

I played a couple of matches today and things seem to be business as usual with an assortment of cool new weapons and Mechs thrown into the mix. I usually run a Marauder 3R with PPCs and an AC20

Try 4xMPL + UAC20 + LFE300.

and generally prefer putting standard engines into them because nobody expects a 'Phract to live after a torso falls off.
LFEs generally took over now. Middle ground between IS STD and IS XL, with torso loss acting same as Clan XL.

#3 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 26 November 2017 - 08:19 AM

Huntsman will provide most bang for your buck. The Pakhet, if you get that one, provides better missile side torso pods if you ever decide to go brawly, but all of the Huntsmen omnipods provide unique hardpoint options and are interchangeable between one another. Probably the most "omni" of all the mechs in the game. 3x MPlas and several ASRM6 or SSRM is good enough to be pretty effective in public drops using the stock pods.

The mech itself comes with all the upgrades you'd realistically need, and it isn't like you could opt to purchase endo, ferro, or DHS even if it didn't. The mech comes pre-optimized, essentially. That just leaves weapons as essentially the only thing you need purchase.

Eventually, if you chose to, you could convert any one Huntsman into:
6x MPlas

2x UAC10 2x ERSlas

Gauss 4-5x ERMlas

8x ASRM4 or SSRM4 or (god forbid) 8x LRM launchers

4x ERSlas 4x ASRM6 (fav for scouting)

2x ERPPC (alternatively drop one DHS in the left torso and the AP, turn that MK1 TC into a MK3 and put that in the LT)

Even this hybrid build that performs well enough in public drops, using nothing but prime omnipods can be effective, though it isn't my first choice:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5ac02985c5ef8ae

Basically, if you can dream it, the HMN provides a way to do it. With two exceptions: No double Gauss and no LB20X at all.

How it handles is amazing. It benefited from the engine desync, so has a great flow to how it moves. The arms protect those side torsos incredibly well, but it can still be cored out CT if you stare. Ample high hardpoints, and the jump jets on it, unlike many other omnimechs with fixed jump jets, actually work well. You can get some significant ups with this mech.

Makes it a joy to pilot.

Edited with Smurfy links to approximate builds.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 26 November 2017 - 08:44 AM.

#4 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 26 November 2017 - 08:57 AM

The Huntsman is a tough opponent in fp scouting matches.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#5 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 12:43 PM

Holy moley those are some good tips, thanks folks. Think I'll get the Huntsman afterall then, it does seem like a rather good 'Mech.

#6 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:33 PM

If you have the budget, maybe consider a Linebacker as well/instead. Because of the fixed huge engine it both goes pretty fast for a heavy but at the same time will only be as heavily armed as a Huntsman

#7 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:34 PM

Can confirm huntsman is good.

Favorite heavy right now is 2xerppc summoner.

#8 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:19 AM

I've been playing that 2x ER PPC build and it's great, will try the 8 ASRM 4 as well because there's no way it won't be spectacular.

#9 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 06:06 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 13 December 2017 - 11:19 AM, said:

I've been playing that 2x ER PPC build and it's great, will try the 8 ASRM 4 as well because there's no way it won't be spectacular.

I once got ambushed by a srm summoner who some how managed to hide himself on top of the dish on HPG. It did not end well for me.

In the huntsman side I've been seeing people do 2xatm12 builds. Nasty little buggers because nobody pays attention to them until it's too late.

#10 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:40 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 26 November 2017 - 08:19 AM, said:

6x MPlas

2x ERPPC (alternatively drop one DHS in the left torso and the AP, turn that MK1 TC into a MK3 and put that in the LT)

Do you always carry Cool Shots and if so how many of those nodes did you unlock in the skill tree?

#11 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 11:00 PM

View Posta gaijin, on 13 December 2017 - 07:40 PM, said:

Do you always carry Cool Shots and if so how many of those nodes did you unlock in the skill tree?

I'm weird. If I bother to put points into that tree, it's only one. So to answer your question, I only have one basic Cool Run at any time. If I have anything else, it's a single Air Strike.

I prefer to do things personally, instead of exploit the consumable system in order to either generate kills, or make the heat system totally redundant. :D

#12 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 17 December 2017 - 04:00 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 15 December 2017 - 11:00 PM, said:

I'm weird. If I bother to put points into that tree, it's only one. So to answer your question, I only have one basic Cool Run at any time. If I have anything else, it's a single Air Strike.

I prefer to do things personally, instead of exploit the consumable system in order to either generate kills, or make the heat system totally redundant. Posted Image

Thank you Pariah, appreciate the info Posted Image I personally don't like carrying consumables because it's just one more thing to have to keep mental tabs on (which detracts from my fun Posted Image ).
I prefer to put *all* my nodes into things I think are really important: Survival & Mobility, Operations, Firepower, and JJs. And in that order too.

I asked that question about consumable nodes because if many skilled JJ-snipers are using em I figured I'd have to adjust my style. Glad it seems I won't have to!

#13 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 08:21 PM

View Posta gaijin, on 17 December 2017 - 04:00 PM, said:

Thank you Pariah, appreciate the info Posted Image I personally don't like carrying consumables because it's just one more thing to have to keep mental tabs on (which detracts from my fun Posted Image ).
I prefer to put *all* my nodes into things I think are really important: Survival & Mobility, Operations, Firepower, and JJs. And in that order too.

I asked that question about consumable nodes because if many skilled JJ-snipers are using em I figured I'd have to adjust my style. Glad it seems I won't have to!

As a "skilled jj-sniper" yes, I bring cool shots with everything. On a 7 mpl huntsman I bring 2 with all pertinent skill nodes plus an airstrike. On a 2 erppc summoner I bring 1 with 2 air strikes.

It's the difference between having to cool down for 20 sec in the middle of the fight when your team really needs you and fighting for a few more shots.

It should not be the first 9n your list of Nodes to unlock but definitely should be included.

Edited by JigglyMoobs, 17 December 2017 - 08:22 PM.

#14 Throe

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 11:59 AM

I realize I'm a little late to the discussion here, but I can't see any reason to bring a Huntsman to a party you could be piloting a Timberwolf at. Same speed, more armor, more heat sinks, slightly worse jump jetting capability, and every bit as versatile as the Huntsman.

I mean, maybe if you were going to be doing Clan Faction Play and you needed a Medium to fill out your Drop Deck, sure. It's not a bad 'Mech. It just isn't the best.

#15 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 06:13 AM

View PostThroe, on 20 December 2017 - 11:59 AM, said:

I realize I'm a little late to the discussion here, but I can't see any reason to bring a Huntsman to a party you could be piloting a Timberwolf at. Same speed, more armor, more heat sinks, slightly worse jump jetting capability, and every bit as versatile as the Huntsman.

I mean, maybe if you were going to be doing Clan Faction Play and you needed a Medium to fill out your Drop Deck, sure. It's not a bad 'Mech. It just isn't the best.

It moves a lot better. Mediums handle better than Heavies, and the HMN handles better than many of the other 50 and 55 ton options. It presents a smaller profile, making you a smaller target. Further, it makes you a less threatening profile, which is to say you don't catch as much enemy agro as you would in a heavier mech - which is fine since you hit nearly as hard as one and that opens up opportunities for you. It also spreads damage better than the TBR, with its obnoxiously easy to isolate ST and protruding CT. HMN arms suck up side torso damage like a wet sponge, and any degree of torso twisting will shield the CT with the arms near totally.

You also vastly understate the difference in jump capabilities. HMN actually has quite a lot of thrust - as does the Nova - even able to clear the ground to the top of the platform in Crimson in a single leap. A TBR struggles to do the same, and only manages anything close with twice the tonnage investment in jets.

So you have a mech that has the firepower of a Clan heavy, turns and jumps better than any Clan heavy, and has comparable durability due to armor spreading capabilities while also attracting less fire by nature of not being a heavy. Tons of wins.

Also, nothing looks as sexy as the Huntsman. Nothing!

But the Shadow Cat does get close!

#16 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 16 March 2018 - 01:50 PM

I have a Storm Crow Prime but it looks I need to obtain a Huntsman. I am considering rejoining FP.

Thanks to the OP for this thread and Pariah Devalis for all the quality builds.

Edited by Spare Parts Bin, 16 March 2018 - 01:51 PM.

#17 Wulfe09

• PipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 07:37 AM

ecm cheesebringer. 2hll 4cerml

#18 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 23 March 2018 - 06:55 AM

The Sun Spider has the possibility of ECM and over 81KPH. This maybe a great Omnimech for FP.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users