#1 Zh0u

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 393 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:36 AM

Hi,

So for my HBR-PRIME, I have unlocked 91 nodes (exactly), and around extra 40k exp to spare.

Do you guys just unlock everything (all nodes) or keeping it? And if I get another HBR-PRIME, do I need to start from 0 nodes unlocked again for that mech? Or it's nodes are already unlocked as the previous mech. What about other variants?

Thanks in advance.

#2 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:50 AM

nodes and Mech XP only apply to that specific Mech.

if you have already fully unlocked the skill tree for that Mech you can;
ignore the XP
use it to unlock new skills after disabling existing skills
use MC to purchase GXP which you can then assign to any Mech

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:54 AM

You can also use it to help unlock skills for another Hellbringer prime.... if for whatever reason you got another one.

its locked to the chassis/variant... Not the specific mech in mechbay number 4.

Though it is written in such a way that it sounds like this in the Skill Tree Patchnotes... this is not the case. (It is the case for Historic Mech XP, but not for current Mech XP... and I have no idea why they would do something that dumb.)

Edited by Koniving, 27 November 2017 - 05:03 AM.

#4 Zh0u

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 393 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:57 AM

View PostKoniving, on 26 November 2017 - 11:54 AM, said:

You can also use it to help unlock skills for another Hellbringer prime.... if for whatever reason you got another one.

its locked to the chassis/variant... Not the specific mech in mechbay number 4.

Let me just get this right:

Mech A: HBR-Prime, 91 nodes unlocked, Mastered.

Then I proceed to buy Mech B, another HBR-Prime,

When I open the skill tree, the same 91 nodes will be already unlocked?

Then I proceed to buy Mech C, HBR-F, all nodes would still be locked?

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 12:00 PM

Lemme just edit that.

View PostZh0u, on 26 November 2017 - 11:57 AM, said:

Let me just get this right:

Mech A: HBR-Prime, 91 nodes unlocked, Mastered.

Then I proceed to buy Mech B, another HBR-Prime,

When I open the skill tree, Ain't Nothing Unlocked, but I have the Mech XP that I earned with any and all of my Hellbringer Primes left over (and accumulating with their use) to start unlocking and I am free to do a completely NEW pattern of unlocks to make this Hellbringer Prime feel unique if I felt like it.

Then I proceed to buy Mech C, HBR-F, Everything's locked George and I ain't got no XP!

Scratched out what is not actually the case.

Edited by Koniving, 27 November 2017 - 05:03 AM.

#6 Zh0u

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 393 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 November 2017 - 12:08 PM

View PostKoniving, on 26 November 2017 - 12:00 PM, said:

Lemme just edit that.

Better?

Ah yes! I totally get it now. Thank you! :)

#7 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,658 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 26 November 2017 - 04:35 PM

Hmm, no!!!!!!!!!!!

The exp earned for one mech is LOCKED to that specific mech. With the new skill tree XP is no longer shared nor can it be utilized on another mech of the same variant as XP. The exception is if that XP is converted to GXP with the use of MC. Then which the GXP is good for all mechs.

When the new skill tree went live, for those mechs with XP was treated as HXP (historic XP) that could be utilize on one or the other but once the HXP was converted to XP to a specific mech it could also not be utilized on another.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 26 November 2017 - 04:54 PM.

#8 Zh0u

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 393 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 November 2017 - 04:40 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 26 November 2017 - 04:35 PM, said:

Hmm, no!!!!!!!!!!!

The exp earned for one mech is LOCKED to that specific mech, it can not longer be utilized with another mech of the same variant. Only the GXP is good for all mechs.

When the new skill tree went live, for those mechs with XP was treated as HXP (historic XP) that could be utilize on one or the other but once the HXP was converted to XP to a specific mech it could also not be utilized on another.

Oh no! This means if my HBR-PRIME is already on 91 nodes, no point for me to keep the exp, just unlock all the other available nodes? And if I keep accumulating exp after that, the only way to utilize them is to convert them to GXP using MCs?

#9 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,658 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 26 November 2017 - 04:52 PM

View PostZh0u, on 26 November 2017 - 04:40 PM, said:

Oh no! This means if my HBR-PRIME is already on 91 nodes, no point for me to keep the exp, just unlock all the other available nodes? And if I keep accumulating exp after that, the only way to utilize them is to convert them to GXP using MCs?

First let me state to NEVER NEVER hit the RESPECT SKILL TREE and hit save. All of your nodes that were purchased and active are still yours but you have deactivated them. To REACTIVATE each one will now cost you 400 XP/GXP...

You will continue to accumulate XP. But to pump up a new mech with SP you would have to use GXP which is earned at a smaller rate. Understand, you can only have 91 nodes ACTIVE at any one time. You COULD purchase all the available nodes but that would cost 800 XP/GXP & $45,000 C-bills for each SP (Skill Point).

As for converting XP to GXP, if you intend to go that route at times, try to wait for when PGI has a sale on the conversion rate. Right now it is 1 MC to convert 25 XP to 25 GXP. When PGI has a sale with other items it generally is 1 MC to convert 50 XP to 50 GXP (sale only). With this being the holiday season that should be happening in the next month. I do not remember when it occurred last year but the most recent one was Sept of this year.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 26 November 2017 - 05:06 PM.

#10 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 565 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 05:38 PM

Koniving is, for the first time I've seen, incorrect. When I got a free Hunchback that matched the one I already had, it had 0 EXP in its bucket, even though the exact same variant that I had already owned had spare XP.
XP is now locked to each particular mech, regardless of variant. HXP is a different thing, but before you can use it you have to assign the HXP to a particular mech, at which point it is XP that belongs only to that mech.

#11 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 09:30 PM

That's correct, mech XP is spesific to that particular mech. It doesn't extend to other mechs of the same type.

View PostZh0u, on 26 November 2017 - 04:40 PM, said:

There's no reason to unlock nodes which you don't use, in particular because it costs cbills to do. That's better used to level other mechs, and to buy new mechs and possibly engines.

Over time you may end up changing your loadout and unlocking more nodes, though. And once you have more nodes open, you can reselect them easier with only mech XP. That won't use so much XP, as you likely do this on mechs you play a lot and already have plenty.

Over time your favourite mechs will have lots of XP. My Mist Lynx has 270k XP, 800k HXP and 170 unlocked nodes. My Marauder IIC D has kinda replaced it as favourite and it has 188k HXP and 1200k mech XP, with 156 nodes open.

I don't think it's so useful anymore to convert mech XP to GXP, as mech XP is so much easier to earn, and you don't need GXP into anything.

#12 Zh0u

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 393 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 27 November 2017 - 04:37 AM

View PostTeer Kerensky, on 26 November 2017 - 09:30 PM, said:

That's correct, mech XP is spesific to that particular mech. It doesn't extend to other mechs of the same type.

There's no reason to unlock nodes which you don't use, in particular because it costs cbills to do. That's better used to level other mechs, and to buy new mechs and possibly engines.

Over time you may end up changing your loadout and unlocking more nodes, though. And once you have more nodes open, you can reselect them easier with only mech XP. That won't use so much XP, as you likely do this on mechs you play a lot and already have plenty.

Over time your favourite mechs will have lots of XP. My Mist Lynx has 270k XP, 800k HXP and 170 unlocked nodes. My Marauder IIC D has kinda replaced it as favourite and it has 188k HXP and 1200k mech XP, with 156 nodes open.

I don't think it's so useful anymore to convert mech XP to GXP, as mech XP is so much easier to earn, and you don't need GXP into anything.

That kinda suck though, especially if one really loves to pilot a particular mech but it's only rewards are C-Bills and GXP.

Thank you all for your detailed explanations. PGI really not making it any easier for new players, aren't they? :P

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 04:53 AM

View PostErtur, on 26 November 2017 - 05:38 PM, said:

Koniving is, for the first time I've seen, incorrect. When I got a free Hunchback that matched the one I already had, it had 0 EXP in its bucket, even though the exact same variant that I had already owned had spare XP.
XP is now locked to each particular mech, regardless of variant. HXP is a different thing, but before you can use it you have to assign the HXP to a particular mech, at which point it is XP that belongs only to that mech.

Let me check, because according to the patch notes for the new skill tree, that should not be the case.

----

It is the case. They are sharing Historic Experience Points between them (if I consume here, then it consumes there) between my HBK 4G and HBK 4G(F)... but apparently they are not sharing Mech XP.
According to the thing about the new skill tree, Mech XP for a specific variant should be shared between copies. Did we find a bug, or did PGI change their minds after writing it?

Either way I feel kind of insulted and feel bad too, I provided information as I found it -- as it was told to us -- and it isn't correct.

#14 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 05:00 AM

View PostZh0u, on 27 November 2017 - 04:37 AM, said:

That kinda suck though, especially if one really loves to pilot a particular mech but it's only rewards are C-Bills and GXP.

Thank you all for your detailed explanations. PGI really not making it any easier for new players, aren't they? Posted Image

There's still unlocking other nodes if you would rather respec it. The thing is an XP sink even though it discounts making the change. (Think of it as paying the technician with XP to make the changes... still kinda beats repair and rearm in terms of how MWO did it, make 600k in a match, pay about 900k in repairs. Make 3 million (my personal record for a single match) in a Commando that barely did any combat, pay only 32k when destroyed... it was really unfair... and at least it doesn't cost cbills to make the respec changes).

But yes, that does make it really difficult for new players to get situated into the game. Any kind of skill leveling system in general does that, however, yet games still do it.

The spoiler was written under the assumption that it'd cost cbills to reactivate old nodes. Left because I'd still like something like that, but we'll see that in the upcoming Battletech and Mechwarrior 5: Merc games anyway.
Spoiler

I do apologize for the information being off. I gave what I found from the patch notes that introduced the skill tree. Which is what we were all told. Seems a change was made either before or after those were written. I should have checked and tested first.

Edited by Koniving, 27 November 2017 - 05:08 AM.

#15 Zh0u

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 393 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 27 November 2017 - 05:31 AM

View PostKoniving, on 27 November 2017 - 05:00 AM, said:

There's still unlocking other nodes if you would rather respec it. The thing is an XP sink even though it discounts making the change. (Think of it as paying the technician with XP to make the changes... still kinda beats repair and rearm in terms of how MWO did it, make 600k in a match, pay about 900k in repairs. Make 3 million (my personal record for a single match) in a Commando that barely did any combat, pay only 32k when destroyed... it was really unfair... and at least it doesn't cost cbills to make the respec changes).

But yes, that does make it really difficult for new players to get situated into the game. Any kind of skill leveling system in general does that, however, yet games still do it.

The spoiler was written under the assumption that it'd cost cbills to reactivate old nodes. Left because I'd still like something like that, but we'll see that in the upcoming Battletech and Mechwarrior 5: Merc games anyway.
Spoiler

I do apologize for the information being off. I gave what I found from the patch notes that introduced the skill tree. Which is what we were all told. Seems a change was made either before or after those were written. I should have checked and tested first.

No worries at all. You were very helpful and supportive ever since I started this week about 1 week ago. For that I thank you. :)

#16 Brizna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 27 November 2017 - 05:38 AM

Yes, Mech XP is specific to that mech, two HBR-Prime are two different mechs in this regard and they don't share mech XP or nodes unlocked.

Historic Mech XP is a legacy system to transfer XP from the old skill system to the new one, this is the only XP that is shared between different mech of the same variant (the two HBR-Primes I used as example).

#17 Naulldeath

Rookie

• The Bite
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 06:41 AM

What they should do is that once you get all the xp you would like from a mech they should add a button that auto converts the extra xp into GXP. It shouldn't cost MC to do this. They should allow you to spend CB to do so as well the way you can for SP.

I find it rather vexing that they penalize you for liking a mech by making you waste your time, xp and money in this way. It shouldn't be exclusively MC. Also you should be aloud to has as many unlocks active as you like, after all you put time, CB and effort to play that mech.

#18 Speedy Plysitkos

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 25 May 2021 - 10:06 AM

Its zombie thread. Closing in .....3, 2, 1,

#19 Armchair General

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • 95 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 12:39 PM

0, Lift off... we have a lift off.
Please let the dead rest in the endlessness of space.
Thank you.

Thread closed

Edited by Armchair General, 25 May 2021 - 12:40 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users