A Very Strange Fps Reduction

6 replies to this topic

#1 PurplePuke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 314 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 10:58 AM

Hi all. I'm having a very strange problem with MWO.

I've been running it on the same machine for about a year with great framerates:
  • Intel® Core™ i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
  • 16384MB RAM
  • Windows 10 Home 64-bit
  • AMD Radeon ™ R9 360
  • Dedicated Memory: 2024 MB
  • Display Memory: 10187 MB
  • Driver Update - 2017-11-26
I've always had great FPS of 60 +. But in the last several days, the FPS has dropped significantly. But not all at once. It's strange.

When I noticed problems in game, I contacted Support. They suggested I delete the shader cache. That boosted my framerate, but only if I rebooted after deleting it, and the boost only lasted a few minutes. Then performance degrades again.

I've done some more testing. Just sitting in the Mechlab, I can watch my framerates gradually work its way down, slower and slower.

It starts at around 50 FPS, then in about a minute it works its way down to about 20 FPS.

Like I said, I hadn't changed any setting prior to this problem appearing, and no graphics settings seem to improve my performance. At all.

I ran the repair tool to no effect.

So, something very weird going on. Anybody seen this before?

Purple Puke.

#2 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 02 December 2017 - 11:12 AM

First, there was an update to your system and your GPU. Windows 10 Creators Update. Hmm, I need to update another post about this.

Check your Power Options settings - High Performance
Disable Xbox settings (in Settings-Gaming)
Roll back your GPU driver. You noted it was updated 11-26-17. Newest GPU driver is not always better...

Reference - Consider disabling Windows from updating your drivers.
Can of compressed air - are your heatsinks cleared out?

#3 PurplePuke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 314 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 01:05 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 02 December 2017 - 11:12 AM, said:

First, there was an update to your system and your GPU. Windows 10 Creators Update. Hmm, I need to update another post about this.

Check your Power Options settings - High Performance
Disable Xbox settings (in Settings-Gaming)
Roll back your GPU driver. You noted it was updated 11-26-17. Newest GPU driver is not always better...

Reference - Consider disabling Windows from updating your drivers.
Can of compressed air - are your heatsinks cleared out?

Hey, thanks for replying.

What do you mean by "Disable Xbox Settings"? Do you mean turn Game Bar off, or turn Game mode off. There are a few settings in Gaming / Xbox.

PP

#4 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 02:21 PM

I would suggest turning them all off to eliminate potential issues. The Game Bar provides access to the other options that can be changed on the file.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 02 December 2017 - 02:22 PM.

#5 D34DMetal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 134 posts
  • Locationin a Mad Cat duh...

Posted 02 December 2017 - 03:20 PM

Clean your fans and heatsinks for the GPU/CPU and check if either of those are throttling!

#6 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:53 AM

I put the old text in spoiler as I've found out the real reason. My GPU was throttling due to high temperateure, which was caused by fan giving up.

Spesially when the GPU became hot, it seemed to make the fan even more weaker, as so much as it barely revolved at all and when I tried to gauge it's speed by touching the fan with my finger, it could completely stop because it was so faintly spinning, and not be able to spin up at all without giving it a huge push. A normal fan would not stop so easily and would immediately start spinning up again when the obstruction(finger) has been removed.

Originally I had missed to check the temperature as I've never before this seen a GPU to trottle or to even have worrying temperatures, in my case the R9 270 seems to throttle about 100 degrees celsius. I think the new game I've been playing is in particular causing this as it's engine is so good that my GPU is able to work at near max and that will make the fan struggle.

Of course the fan would display 100% speed but it was bogus.

Spoiler

Edited by Teer Kerensky, 15 December 2017 - 10:26 AM.

#7 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:45 PM

Teer, what do you have your system power options set at:? And have you tried older drivers while turning off Windows ability to update system drivers if using Windows 10?

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 07 December 2017 - 03:50 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users