#1 a gaijin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 04 December 2017 - 07:30 AM

HMN-B

Found it in my mechbay with the keys in the ignition. Wondering whether to use it or to sell it.

#2 Darrious Quinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 244 posts
  • LocationUS East Coast

Posted 04 December 2017 - 07:34 AM

Its "Functional"... I guess? Just seems to be a waste to try and play long range sneaky sniper when it has so much more potential up close in the fight.

#3 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:00 AM

*shrug* It works for the Summoner and Hunchback IIC. As long as you can hit what you are aiming at, I would call it a good build.

You have allot of options with the Huntsman. Gauss + PPC, Ultra AC+ Lasers, Laser spam, SRM spam, ATMs *groan*

I wouldn't sell it unless you exhausted your option and need the mechbay for something else.

#4 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:57 AM

If you have the Hunchie IIC, pick which one you want to keep.

#5 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:02 AM

View Posta gaijin, on 04 December 2017 - 07:30 AM, said:

HMN-B

Found it in my mechbay with the keys in the ignition. Wondering whether to use it or to sell it.

I have a Huntsmen build very similar to that one, and seen as I own seven Huntsmen each with a different build... Thanks to the Omni system of the Huntsmen, there are a lot of options you can do with it. If this build doesn't work, try something else. I wouldn't sell the mech unless you really hate it and don't like it at all. (But that would be impossible. I mean, have you looked at the Huntsmen? It's just too cool looking to sell... Best looking mech in game, right? Posted Image )

#6 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:57 AM

Perfectly good Huntsman build. While technically the HBK-IIC version of it has higher guns, we're not talking about any sort of monumental difference in gun height relative to the cockpit, and you get slightly better jumps with the HMN over the HBK, in addition to better survivability. I have one HMN configured very similar to that, if I just feel like poptarting it up.

I think my alterations to it are:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...460b2840b941da3

Simply because I can still very reliably hit with ERPPC at range, so I don't feel a need to lose a DHS for a larger TC than a MK1. BAP just there to fill out the remaining tonnage, and nothing more.

Glory of the HMN is that you can build it any number of ways effectively. Might as well have a wide range of HMN configurations in your bays. That way each of them feel unique.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 05 December 2017 - 09:59 AM.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:03 AM

Its good. I like to have a secondary means of self defense however for lights that are too hard to lead and hit or that dire situation while the PPCs are too hot.

#8 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:33 AM

I prefer my Hunchie than any Huntsman... never been able to do something with it.

#9 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:07 AM

View PostDamnedtroll, on 05 December 2017 - 10:33 AM, said:

I prefer my Hunchie than any Huntsman... never been able to do something with it.

Well. I have seven Huntsmen... I have several builds for them. You have any preferences? I have a good LRM and Laser mixed build(s). SRMs as well. I have a HLL and ERML boat build. Dual PPC build. I even have an AC and laser build... You name it I probably have a build for it with the Huntsmen... I'm willing to share any concepts if you want to give them a try.

I will say, I love the Huntsmen and it's one of my favorite mechs in this game. I've never actually tried the Hunchback IIC, but I just don't like how the mech looks. I'm certain it's a solid mech and I hear good things about it, but I get such good performances from my Huntsmen...

#10 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:10 AM

View Posta gaijin, on 04 December 2017 - 07:30 AM, said:

HMN-B

You're driving in the meta long range build if you bring that build.

#11 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:11 PM

View PostTesunie, on 05 December 2017 - 11:07 AM, said:

Well. I have seven Huntsmen... I have several builds for them. You have any preferences? I have a good LRM and Laser mixed build(s). SRMs as well. I have a HLL and ERML boat build. Dual PPC build. I even have an AC and laser build... You name it I probably have a build for it with the Huntsmen... I'm willing to share any concepts if you want to give them a try.

I will say, I love the Huntsmen and it's one of my favorite mechs in this game. I've never actually tried the Hunchback IIC, but I just don't like how the mech looks. I'm certain it's a solid mech and I hear good things about it, but I get such good performances from my Huntsmen...

Cool for you, sold mine a while ago because it was not doing better than my Hunch IIC and was in the same tonnage and function of them... never been able to do goods with the Linebacker too. Don't know if it's the silhouette of the mechs but they looked fragile when playing them and i was doing better with other types. Sometimes it's just not for you. Don't know why.

Edited by Damnedtroll, 05 December 2017 - 12:11 PM.

#12 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:20 PM

View PostDamnedtroll, on 05 December 2017 - 12:11 PM, said:

Sometimes it's just not for you. Don't know why.

Completely understood and agreed. Sometimes, a mech just doesn't work for you, no matter how much you try or want it to.

#13 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 05:11 PM

Appreciate all the varying opinions. Good info for me

View PostTesunie, on 04 December 2017 - 11:02 AM, said:

I have a Huntsmen build very similar to that one, and seen as I own seven Huntsmen each with a different build... Thanks to the Omni system of the Huntsmen, there are a lot of options you can do with it. If this build doesn't work, try something else. I wouldn't sell the mech unless you really hate it and don't like it at all. (But that would be impossible. I mean, have you looked at the Huntsmen? It's just too cool looking to sell... Best looking mech in game, right? )

View PostPariah Devalis, on 05 December 2017 - 09:57 AM, said:

Perfectly good Huntsman build. While technically the HBK-IIC version of it has higher guns, we're not talking about any sort of monumental difference in gun height relative to the cockpit, and you get slightly better jumps with the HMN over the HBK, in addition to better survivability. I have one HMN configured very similar to that, if I just feel like poptarting it up.

I think my alterations to it are:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...460b2840b941da3

Simply because I can still very reliably hit with ERPPC at range, so I don't feel a need to lose a DHS for a larger TC than a MK1. BAP just there to fill out the remaining tonnage, and nothing more.

Glory of the HMN is that you can build it any number of ways effectively. Might as well have a wide range of HMN configurations in your bays. That way each of them feel unique.

Thanks for the expert info guys-- appreciated Posted Image

For skill tree:
- Speed tweak to max the best? Also, do you consider torso pitch/yaw less critical than twist speed?
- Survival Armor Hardening up to max your recommendation?
- Operations Cool Run & Heat Containment to max best?
- Firepower tree to Velocity 5 recommended?
- Is Radar dep 80~100% needed in your opinion?
Other recommendations?

I like the cockpit view from HMN over HBK and noticed their armor is exactly the same (in smurfy mechlab).
I think HMN may have better hitboxes over HBK. You think it's a harder or easier target to hit than HBK?
I see in HMN-Prime it can be built with both erPPCs in one ST. I think that's too risky though.

Also..Tesunie, HMN looks rad...bit better than HBK imho Posted Image if the hitboxes and/or armor are indeed better than HBK then it's a for sure keeper for me Posted Image

#14 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 05:22 PM

View Posta gaijin, on 05 December 2017 - 05:11 PM, said:

Appreciate all the varying opinions. Good info for me

Thanks for the expert info guys-- appreciated Posted Image

For skill tree:
- Speed tweak to max the best? Also, do you consider torso pitch/yaw less critical than twist speed?
Other recommendations?

I like the cockpit view from HMN over HBK and noticed their armor is exactly the same (in smurfy mechlab).
I think HMN may have better hitboxes over HBK. You think it's a harder or easier target to hit than HBK?
I see in HMN-Prime it can be built with both erPPCs in one ST. I think that's too risky though.

Also..Tesunie, HMN looks rad...bit better than HBK imho Posted Image if the hitboxes and/or armor are indeed better than HBK then it's a for sure keeper for me Posted Image

Ask for a skill tree setup and you'll get so many different opinions. I'm against the grain in that I like taking at least 40% radar derp, but generally speaking in the mobility tree? I always go for speed tweak. As for torso speed vs turning radius, it depends on the range I expect. Twin ERPPC? Torso twist speed. Mid to close range? Turning radius.

Heat containment and coolrun skills are big. I don't max it out, but I get enough in there that I get most of the benefits. I also do invest a bit into survival. Again, not all the way, and prioritizing armor before everything else, but it helps a lot.

I find the HMN significantly more tanky relative to the HBK. Two reasons for this. One, the arm hitboxes almost totally cover the side torsos and shield the CT if you torso twist by about 30% relative to the target. Secondly, there is more "airspace" between the arms and side torsos, and the side torsos cut inwards in a V shape, meaning there is less front on surface area to hit, as compared to the HBK. This leads to a very tanky mech from an armor rolling perspective, with side torsos that more often than not force the enemy to chew through your arms, first.

However, unlike the HBK, it has an easier CT to focus if you stare at the enemy for too long. It heavily rewards active armor rolling, but punishes staring immensely.

That said, no mech looks as sexy as this beast. Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 05 December 2017 - 05:35 PM.

#15 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 05:32 PM

For skill tree:
Other recommendations?

I always get max cool run, any heat containment nodes on the way but not all on some builds, then I get all the heat gen nodes from the firepower tree, then I get the armor and structure nodes. I'd also go with as much cooldown as possible after all of those things on an ERPPC build like that.

I never go with any nodes into mobility and the only time I go into the sensor tree is for target decay on LRM/ATM boats or ECM nodes for ECM mechs.

Of course many people disagree on what to pick, I just find that I'm a man who likes making trades aggressively through the match, so the more armor I have the more trades I can make. I find most mechs mobile enough already and the ones that aren't won't gain much of a boost from mobility tree nodes anyway.

HMN has much better hitboxes, HBK is very boxy.

#16 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:17 PM

View PostDakota1000, on 05 December 2017 - 05:32 PM, said:

Yep but HMN is taller i think.

Edited by Damnedtroll, 05 December 2017 - 06:17 PM.

#17 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:33 PM

View PostDamnedtroll, on 05 December 2017 - 06:17 PM, said:

Yep but HMN is taller i think.

Believe it or not, height makes very little difference in this game. It's width that matters. A narrow but tall target is going to be a lot harder to hit along its axis of movement (horizontal) than a fat but squat target. Of course, the taller you are, the harder it is to find cover, but it isn't so tall it can't find ample places to hide.

#18 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:34 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 05 December 2017 - 05:22 PM, said:

Ask for a skill tree setup and you'll get so many different opinions. I'm against the grain in that I like taking at least 40% radar derp, but generally speaking in the mobility tree? I always go for speed tweak. As for torso speed vs turning radius, it depends on the range I expect. Twin ERPPC? Torso twist speed. Mid to close range? Turning radius.

Heat containment and coolrun skills are big. I don't max it out, but I get enough in there that I get most of the benefits. I also do invest a bit into survival. Again, not all the way, and prioritizing armor before everything else, but it helps a lot.

I find the HMN significantly more tanky relative to the HBK. Two reasons for this. One, the arm hitboxes almost totally cover the side torsos and shield the CT if you torso twist by about 30% relative to the target. Secondly, there is more "airspace" between the arms and side torsos, and the side torsos cut inwards in a V shape, meaning there is less front on surface area to hit, as compared to the HBK. This leads to a very tanky mech from an armor rolling perspective, with side torsos that more often than not force the enemy to chew through your arms, first.

However, unlike the HBK, it has an easier CT to focus if you stare at the enemy for too long. It heavily rewards active armor rolling, but punishes staring immensely.

That said, no mech looks as sexy as this beast. Posted Image

Posted Image
that IS a sexy mech!!

I think a medium mech needs Survival nodes & probably radar deprivation too, at least to some extent. Since I love PPCs so much I tend to max out *all* the Cool Run and Heat Containment nodes.

I’m kinda on the fence about whether mobility should take preference over the Weapons tree Velocity nodes.

I normally use Summoners and this HMN feels way more slow & sluggish compared to it! Then again the SMN’s skilled out and the HMN is brand new...

#19 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:43 AM

View PostDakota1000, on 05 December 2017 - 05:32 PM, said:

I always get max cool run, any heat containment nodes on the way but not all on some builds, then I get all the heat gen nodes from the firepower tree, then I get the armor and structure nodes. I'd also go with as much cooldown as possible after all of those things on an ERPPC build like that.

I never go with any nodes into mobility and the only time I go into the sensor tree is for target decay on LRM/ATM boats or ECM nodes for ECM mechs.

Of course many people disagree on what to pick, I just find that I'm a man who likes making trades aggressively through the match, so the more armor I have the more trades I can make. I find most mechs mobile enough already and the ones that aren't won't gain much of a boost from mobility tree nodes anyway.

Doesn’t HMN feel super sluggish without Mobility tree?? I feel like SMNs are more agile.
Def gona do all Cool Run & HC nodes—even with 10 (9?) dhs this thing is hot as hell.
Still on the fence on whether I should take TC3 (4?...can’t remember) and not enable Velocity nodes (and put em in Radar Dep/seismic instead) or take a smaller TC for just one more DHS and skip Radar Dep for Velocity...

On some maps RD works wonders...and can be like “extra armor.” At least that’s how it seems

#20 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:47 AM

View PostKoniving, on 05 December 2017 - 10:03 AM, said:

Its good. I like to have a secondary means of self defense however for lights that are too hard to lead and hit or that dire situation while the PPCs are too hot.

In all honesty I’d love to take at least some machine guns andor/ sPL for those times but even with max Dhs now it is a veeery hot build. I guess it doesn’t hurt to experiment a bit though ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users