Can't Play With Friends

Help Me

22 replies to this topic

#1 The Murk King

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:49 PM

Howdy,
My friend and I just started playing. Even though we both did the Academies and can solo-que, we can't que together. Whenever we group, atleast one of us is invisible in the group and unable to ready-up as a result.

#2 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:17 PM

View PostThe Murk King, on 07 December 2017 - 09:49 PM, said:

Howdy,
My friend and I just started playing. Even though we both did the Academies and can solo-que, we can't que together. Whenever we group, atleast one of us is invisible in the group and unable to ready-up as a result.

It's been a new bug. When it happened to a friend of mine, we could only get it to solve itself after completely rebooting the program (not just logging in and out, but closing the program and launching it). I believe my friend actually did a complete computer restart, but it probably was more than was needed.

We also disbanded the group and reformed it on their account. Encase the first suggestion doesn't do the trick.

#3 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:17 PM

Are you trying to private match group or just group up?

#4 Joe Davion 86

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 269 posts
  • LocationCLT-NC

Posted 27 January 2018 - 05:53 PM

I'm having the same issue with my friends. They have to quit the game completely then relaunch it for them to be able to see themselves in the group window.

#5 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 08:43 PM

View PostThe Murk King, on 07 December 2017 - 09:49 PM, said:

Howdy,

Ive had that issue as well when grouping up with a friend. Hopefully the bug is addressed. The only thing you can really do is to try again and hope the bug goes away.

Edited by Windscape, 29 January 2018 - 08:44 PM.

#6 Varsi

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:53 AM

Oh this was a bug?

We decided to give MWO a try with my friend last weekend. After browsing the internet for a while we reasoned MWO isn't meant to be played in groups of two and my friend uninstalled the client.

I stuck around since I do like the 'Mech action and needed something to do while waiting for HBS Battletech.

#7 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:47 AM

View PostVarsi, on 06 February 2018 - 01:53 AM, said:

Oh this was a bug?

We decided to give MWO a try with my friend last weekend. After browsing the internet for a while we reasoned MWO isn't meant to be played in groups of two and gmy friend uninstalled the client.

I stuck around since I do like the 'Mech action and needed something to do while waiting for HBS Battletech.

Its definitly a bug. There used to be no problem to group up with a friend
Perhaps someone should send this bug to the bug/tech support forum if it hasnt been sent already.

#8 Overs

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:47 AM

has anyone solved this ?? Evertime i invite a new friend it happens .. its killing the mood .. it should be top priority !

#9 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 04 March 2018 - 03:46 PM

View PostOvers, on 04 March 2018 - 08:47 AM, said:

has anyone solved this ?? Evertime i invite a new friend it happens .. its killing the mood .. it should be top priority !

I've only had it happen once in the past month... Don't know what would cause it to happen so often to you.

Have you attempted to have someone else as group lead? Have you had the suspect account/player reboot the program? That solved the problem when I last encountered. Then again, I've only come across the problem once so far...

#10 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:36 PM

I have seen it happen to streamers on twitch as well. Definitely a bug.

#11 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 12:00 AM

Happened to me first time. I wasn't listed in the group but I could write to the group chat, and others could see and reply to that.

Logging out and getting new invite and joining fixed it, didn't need to restart game.

#12 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,597 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:22 AM

So the initial action on this is the same as for every instance that a program isn't functioning as it should: close and restart the program, fully shut down your computer and restart, then verify the game files' integrity and check your drivers for updates - and in any case report any bug that repeats itself to PGI's tech support.

#13 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 24 March 2018 - 03:17 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 20 March 2018 - 08:22 AM, said:

So the initial action on this is the same as for every instance that a program isn't functioning as it should: close and restart the program, fully shut down your computer and restart, then verify the game files' integrity and check your drivers for updates - and in any case report any bug that repeats itself to PGI's tech support.

You don't have to fully shut down the computer. This happens sometimes when I drop with my son. Whoever doesn't show up in the group just has to close out MWO and restart the game. Then the problem resolves itself. I wish PGI would get on this because it is very frustrating, but not fatal.

#14 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,597 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 26 March 2018 - 09:48 PM

Well, I should have been more clear: you should try those things in order, stopping when your issue seems resolved. =)

#15 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 02:43 AM

I had this happen several times lately. It seemed to always happen when I was playing FP and initially solo dropping, I noticed a group invite when I had the FP screen open, and joining from there seemed to always fail. If I had the main screen with a mech open, joining a group always worked.

#16 Wolfsign

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 09:56 AM

I can't play with my friends as well .

We tried last sunday afternoon, and encountered said bug, after i finaly read about how to fix it we tried to sign up for a game and after almost an hour of searching on all servers they gave up and uninstalled the client.

It's quite frustrating. : /
Were we doing it wrong, or is matchmaking really that terrible?

#17 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 27 March 2018 - 10:05 AM

Where your Friends totaly new to the game ?
If so, the mm actually worked.
You found no match due to the fact your player rating was non existant, you where a 3 man team (wich is due to math hard to match with a sensible number of players) and you most likely selected a combination of mechs that did not fit into matchmaking.

A hint...if you desperately want to bring a bunch of totaly newbys to the game make a lobby and let them team up against you or beg somebody of the players you know to join you to get them up to pace.
Honestly if you would have found a match in group queue you would have gotten your face caved in before you could even screem the F word.

#18 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 10:11 AM

View PostWolfsign, on 27 March 2018 - 09:56 AM, said:

I can't play with my friends as well .

We tried last sunday afternoon, and encountered said bug, after i finaly read about how to fix it we tried to sign up for a game and after almost an hour of searching on all servers they gave up and uninstalled the client.

It's quite frustrating. : /
Were we doing it wrong, or is matchmaking really that terrible?

I'm not sure how people are having issues.

Click the icon with the three heads. Add your friend. Create group. Invite friend to group. Enter group queue. Matches are usually found in anywhere from 10 seconds to a minute depending on how congested it is.

Were you trying to enter a Faction match? If so, then yes you will probably have issues (both of you must have either 4 mechs and be in the same faction, OR one mech of 55 or 50 tons or less and be in the same faction. At least IS or Clan. Your mechs must also be of the same side [can't have one IS and one Clan or you won't get anywhere]. Lots of requirements that new players probably won't be able to meet...

View PostThe Basilisk, on 27 March 2018 - 10:05 AM, said:

Where your Friends totaly new to the game ?
If so, the mm actually worked.
You found no match due to the fact your player rating was non existant, you where a 3 man team (wich is due to math hard to match with a sensible number of players) and you most likely selected a combination of mechs that did not fit into matchmaking.

A hint...if you desperately want to bring a bunch of totaly newbys to the game make a lobby and let them team up against you or beg somebody of the players you know to join you to get them up to pace.
Honestly if you would have found a match in group queue you would have gotten your face caved in before you could even screem the F word.

PSR doesn't really work in group queue, tiers 5 through 1 are easily mixed, as well as groups of literally any size (numerous 2 and 3 man teams versus a 12 man).

But yes, in group queue it is absolutely brutal at times because of the complete lack of skill matching.

I enter group queue with brand new players and far better players fairly often, don't really have any issue getting into matches either way.

Winning them is a completely different story.

My last time winning one (and recording). (I've participated in about 50 since then.)

Two man team.

Edited by Koniving, 27 March 2018 - 10:16 AM.

#19 Wolfsign

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 10:51 AM

Yes they both never played a game and i have a few hours on my account. So if thats the reason it seems kind of silly to me since you find all sorts of different experienced players in solo q.

Unfortunately the interface also doesn't tell you anything.

I don't even know if we were queueing up for faction play or not, i thought it was just quickmatch but there is no options or indicators in the group interface at all, just squad launch.

Also we tried different combinations of mechs depending on the percentage of how much they are played shown in the server selection, but then i read that mech class isn't taken into account for group play only group tonnage.

I've seen a lot of games but rarely something that is this kind of unintuitive.
I really like the game and want to play it but i guess it will be hard to get any of my friends to join again.

What is a multiplayer game worth if you cannot play it with friends right away?

Anyways thank you very much for trying to help!

#20 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 10:57 AM

Once you get the group formed, remember you must launch from the button shown in the screen capture within the quote below...

View PostKoniving, on 23 December 2017 - 06:10 PM, said:

I confess playing with just a single friend was a lot more fun back when they would allow up to 2 groups of 2 players into a match with pugs, provided the other side had either 2 groups of 2, a group of 3 plus someone of a stronger than normal tier or a group of 4. But that stopped somewhere between 2014 and 2015, and a large part of the issue was that the group would make half the team (8 player limits at the time).

Perhaps we'll see that return. I think it'd be a lot more fair within the realm of 12 versus 12 to have up to 4 grouped players. Though if they do go back to 8 vs 8 we might not see such a thing come to be.

So until such a day comes...

When playing in the group queue as just two players, the obvious goto is to use as much tonnage as possible. But 100 ton mechs are slow, cumbersome, and do not function well without support. Instead, I recommend utilizing either 65, 75, or 85 ton mechs. Preferably 75 and 85.

For example, the Battlemaster are fast, agile weapons platforms for their weight with mostly high mounted weaponry. Stalkers may not be agile but they tank far more than one might believe without knowing some underlying game mechanics (they have giant side torsos with narrow strips for center torsos, any destroyed body part that still has a hitbox reduces all damage by 60% before transferring it inward). Warhawks are pretty solid, they are also omnimechs so you can mix and match body parts to put together the hardpoints you want. Though any say the Marauder IIC is the superior Clan option despite being a Battlemech.

Posted Image
The launch button while starting a group. Need everyone to ready first or it'll be faded out.
Shown in the background is a Battlemaster.

Faction play requires that you have at least four mechs. Last I checked it was something like 265 tons or less for the Inner Sphere factions and a little less for the four Clan factions. You can get away with just one mech in the Scouting game mode under Faction Play, there the limit is 55 tons (IS) and 50 tons (Clan).

Just as an example, in regular faction play my Drop Deck 1 has a King Crab (100 tons), Urbanmech (30 tons), Roughneck (65 tons) and a Archer (70 tons).
My second drop deck has a Commando (25 tons), Stalker (85 tons), Archer (70 tons) and another Stalker (85 tons).
When you die, you are delivered onto the battlefield again from another dropship in another mech. Each battle has 96 mechs in total.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users