• 2,773 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 01:17 PM

SUN SPIDER LORE AND BLUEPRINT

Buy the Sun Spider

Tokasha MechWorks

Tokasha

Kerensky Cluster

2 February 3056

Star Colonel Tabok’s breath came quick and fast, wheezing between a gritted jaw and clenched teeth as the buffeting continued unabated. His Sun Spider, Manul, almost vibrated, staggering like a drunkard. The cacophony reached pain-threshold levels despite the hermetically sealed cockpit and the tight-fitting neurohelmet completely encasing his head.

As the mental and physical assault continued—a near-constant dance of pedals and joysticks to keep his seventy-ton OmniMech upright—dark memories coalesced. They bubbled to the surface and burst with the fetid stench of rent flesh. Surgical agony. Infectious blood clots and rejection. Phantom pains of missing skin and limbs.

In many ways he was stronger and faster than before, now enhanced with a vast array of cybernetic implants and limb replacements. And he’d accomplished much in the two years since those terrible injuries at the hand of a superb Clan Smoke Jaguar warrior during a Trial of Possession for some second-line BattleMechs fresh off the Tokasha MechWorks production line. The months of convalescence and relearning how to work his body and mind. The additional months of harsh—even brutal—retraining. And finally a new Trial of Position that allowed him to not only retain his precious MechWarrior status, but to excel and now sit as Star Colonel of the Fourth Scorpion Cuirassiers.

Yet despite all such accomplishments, under some circumstances the body and mind still remembered. Still rebelled. Still reminded Tabok that technology permeated his body—cybernetics fused into puckered scars of flesh. That despite all his glory some of his own caste averted their gaze from the black limbs, the mottled scars on his face, and his electronic eyes.

He closed them, drew a deep breath in. Unclenched his jaw. He breathed out the echoes of pain and let go such shame, knowing that in the kaleidoscope of chaos unfolding around him, the warriors of his Cluster stood by him. They would march into the hell of the Inner Sphere fighting, or stand right here on this rock in the Kerensky Cluster and fight and die by his side. There was no greater pride, no better salve to the internal wounds.

As the memories fell away and his pain subsided, the yearly blizzard which hammered the Tokasha MechWorks serendipitously eased its power. The hammering of kilogram-and-change hail that could actually dent armor dropped away, the abrupt silence almost deafening by contrast.

“Star Colonel,” a gravelly voice spoke on the commline. “That was particularly vicious, even for a February storm. You seemed… You are not having… visions, Star Colonel? I know some have wondered openly if you will embrace Seekership. But seems a bit early, quiaff? There is still an enemy out here somewhere trying to take our production run again.”

From a lesser warrior the rib might have been an insult for how badly Tabok had been stumbling. But Jutil was a warrior’s warrior and stood by him in staunch support.

Neg, Star Captain,” Tabok replied good-naturedly. “I was letting Manul pilot herself in the storm. Between the wind and hail, she did well, quiaff?”

A bellowing laugh came in response. “Aff, Star Colonel. Aff.”

If not for the quick spark of a tone lock from incoming fire, the missiles that exploded tumultuously across the upper torso of Tabok’s OmniMech would have felt suspiciously as though the hailstorm had returned.

This is better. Much, much better. The Stormcrow that appeared out of the swirling snow followed up with emerald beams of medium pulse lasers that bled rivulets of molten armor on the Sun Spider’s upper torso and right arm.

With preternatural speed provided by his enhancements—honed through long years of raids—Tabok brought his large laser and ultra autocannon immediately into line, and he eased into the trigger on the right joystick. As the booming cough of autocannon fire splashed damaged across the enemy OmniMech, Tabok smiled.

I’ll trade your twin Streak-six launchers for my quad. A different tone lock sounded as his targeting reticule, pulled into perfect alignment with the fast-moving Stormcrow, burned the bright gold of a target lock resolution. A tap of the secondary trigger sent twenty-four missiles unerringly spinning towards its target.

Despite different flesh, this was what he lived for. There could be no greater calling! He let loose a howl of joy as he pushed the throttle forward and his OmniMech took a powerful step toward another battle and victory.

SUN SPIDER “MANUL”

The arrival of OmniMech technology in 2854 would forever alter the military landscape of the Clan Homeworlds (and of course the Inner Sphere following Operation REVIVAL). By 2858 the Clans were embroiled in a spate of Trials of Possession for this revolutionary BattleMech technology. Clan Goliath Scorpion was no exception, but they lost repeatedly against Coyote warriors that invoked the honor code of zellbrigen to turn any raids into duels, where their superior OmniMechs pressed their advantage.

Shamed by their continued losses, the Scorpions’ Scientist-General Patkirk took matters into his own hands, opening secret discussions with Clan Wolf scientists. While initially rebuffed, Patkirk discovering several of the scientists were from the absorbed Clan Widowmaker changed the tone of the negotiations. While the former Widowmaker scientists had embraced their new Clan, an echo of their original loyalty—and shame—remained. Patkirk carefully pointed out that the Scorpions were ceded much of the Widowmaker enclave on Roche. And while they followed the Trial of Absorption protocols strictly—as required—they were nevertheless generous to the inhabitants of that enclave, welcoming them with open arms. While not warriors, the Wolf-née-Widowmaker scientists still felt the weight of a debt from their previous Khans’ disgrace, and as a way to discharge it—almost a surkairede, or oath of forgiveness—they transferred enough data for the Scorpions to begin their own OmniMech program.

Realizing the entire situation walked a very fine line between unClan-like behavior and achieving such a magnificent success, Scientist-General Patkirk decided to secretly manufacturer a new OmniMech prototype to present to an infuriated Khan still unable to acquire such technology via Trials of Possession. After all, forgiveness would arrive much easier with an OmniMech ready to expunge their continued shame.

Much to Patkirk’s horror, however, the project ultimately proved too secret, and he moved too quickly. Unable to access the full manufacturing and scientific might of Clan Goliath Scorpion, the prototype he proudly named Sun Spider was severally flawed. Compared to other models, the OmniPods took significantly longer to switch out in the field, thus depriving a MechWarrior of the OmniMech’s key tactical advantage.

At the same time Scorpion warriors finally acquired salvageable OmniMechs during a raid against Clan Fire Mandrill’s Kindraa Payne. These OmniMechs would allowed Patkirk to reverse-engineer new Scorpion machines. Faced with his own humiliation and wasted resources, Patkirk quietly buried the existence of the Sun Spider, and it passed into history… until Operation REVIVAL and the grindhouse of the war with the Inner Sphere’s Great Houses.

While the Sun Spider remained a secret, each subsequent Goliath Scorpion Scientist-General knew of that dark side of the Clan’s history. The modern holder of that title chose to bring it to light and present the prototype to his Khan as a way to jumpstart the manufacturing of a new OmniMech—with the latest technology and centuries of knowhow to solve most of the original design’s shortcoming. After overcoming the initial shock, the Khan ordered the Sun Spider into limited production.

Star Colonel Tabok leads the Fourth Scorpion Cuirassiers, known as the Adamantine Hearts. A savage warrior to face on or off the battlefield, he’s riddled with cybernetic implants after a clash on Tokasha with a Clan Smoke Jaguar raid left him severely wounded. While often shunned for his grotesque appearance, his warriors know his heart is ever dedicated to the soldier-ideal and to them. Star Colonel Tabok has even been encouraged to accept the call of the Seeker and embrace the legend he and his Sun Spider, Manul, are becoming.

Written by Randall Neil Bills

Catalyst Game Labs

Buy the Sun Spider

#2 Nelos Kniven

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 225 posts
  • LocationSolaris 7

Posted 09 December 2017 - 01:41 PM

Oh Yeah! I need this thing.

#3 CycKath

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,574 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:05 PM

Interesting. Written by Randal Bills fluff?

#4 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:08 PM

As a founder of a Clan Goliath Scorpion Unit, this was an instabuy for me, thank you.

#5 Fioret221

Rookie

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:09 PM

Question, if the lore is about the hero 'mech and it's pilot, why is it that every part of the description is based off of the prime variant of the chassis? I get that it's an omnimech, and that it could literally use any loadout. Just seems like a slight oversight?

#6 Javin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 519 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:09 PM

Glad to see some new mechs. Now add more maps.

#7 The Boneshaman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 481 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:32 PM

at first glance i thought Locust IIC until i seen the name sun spider. I guess this is like the roughneck and is a PGI concoction.

#8 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:35 PM

The Sun Spider looks as if the Locust IIC hit puberty.

#9 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:57 PM

Next OP Clan mech to match the latest number of doa IS-mechs....clearly no buy

#10 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts
  • LocationDown the street from the MWO server

Posted 09 December 2017 - 04:06 PM

Horse Hockey. There are plenty of other mechs with 4 legs that could be introduced. Its amazing what you can do when you throw money at BT writer. How fast was this one put together? 2 Weeks like the RubberNeck? I'd take another map over another PGI chop jobby.

#11 Star Colonel Silver Surat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Carnivore
  • The Carnivore
  • 157 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 04:53 PM

Well, they at least tried to come up with a good story to explain this abomination. I'll give them that.

#12 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 05:06 PM

Nice to see Tabok starring in some lore. He was a principal actor in a novel length piece that I wrote about Hell's Horses reclaiming the Tokasha Alpha Mechworks from the Goliath Scorpions. I really enjoy these lore pieces that accompany some of the Mechs. I wish every release had one.

#13 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 05:22 PM

If that's true Rampage, then I have you to thank for getting the Goliath Scorpions their totem mech. Posted Image

#14 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 05:30 PM

View PostWill9761, on 09 December 2017 - 05:22 PM, said:

If that's true Rampage, then I have you to thank for getting the Goliath Scorpions their totem mech. Posted Image

Oh, the piece I wrote is true enough although it has never been published. I did post it online in chapters way back in my MWLL days on that forum and it was well received. However, Catalyst does not accept novel length unsolicited BattleTech manuscripts from new authors so it was basically just a creation for my own enjoyment. Tabok was an existing BattleTech character that I incorporated into my writing of that scenario.

#15 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 05:39 PM

View PostRampage, on 09 December 2017 - 05:30 PM, said:

Oh, the piece I wrote is true enough although it has never been published. I did post it online in chapters way back in my MWLL days on that forum and it was well received. However, Catalyst does not accept novel length unsolicited BattleTech manuscripts from new authors so it was basically just a creation for my own enjoyment. Tabok was an existing BattleTech character that I incorporated into my writing of that scenario.

Then perhaps it happened by coincidence?

#16 Torchfire Katayama

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 114 posts
  • LocationNA

Posted 09 December 2017 - 06:32 PM

Couple things....

The Stormcrow that appeared out of the swirling snow followed up with emerald beams of medium pulse lasers that bled...

As the booming cough of autocannon fire splashed damaged across...

One, the Stormcrow had green lasers?
Two, splashed damaged across. Is that english?

Come on PGI, little more professionalism here please.

Edited by Torchfire Katayama, 09 December 2017 - 06:32 PM.

#17 CaveMan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationIn a leather flying cap and goggles

Posted 09 December 2017 - 07:22 PM

Ew, another fanfic-mech.

PGI has been giving canon the big middle finger for years, why stop now?

#18 Jep Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 553 posts
  • LocationWest Chicago, IL

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:07 PM

Three things jump out at me.

1. The mech described in the "Lore" here has the prime loadout despite supposedly being the hero mech.

2. You need a Bloodname to advance past Star Captain, but yet the Star Colonel does not appear to have one.

3. It looks like an overgrown Locust. Originality must truly be dead.

Edited by Jep Jorgensson, 09 December 2017 - 08:08 PM.

#19 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:26 PM

View PostCaveMan, on 09 December 2017 - 07:22 PM, said:

Ew, another fanfic-mech.

PGI has been giving canon the big middle finger for years, why stop now?

Catalyst dearly needs to take all these PGI robots and put them into a TRO to give them a lore framework. At this point, there's enough for a mini-TRO of all the Heroes + the unique Roughneck and Sun Spider.

#20 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 10 December 2017 - 12:40 AM

Hey, everyone. I enjoyed the read and such, then tried to do some lookups with Sarna. Can anyone point me to the appropriate page over there for the Sun Spider? :blink:

~D. V. "Needing to ask for directions in Lore-ville..." Devnull

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users