Breaker Builds?

11 replies to this topic

#1 Jonathan8883

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 708 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 04:47 PM

I wanted to get a medium Hero mech, and none of the IS heroes had configs that looked good except High Roller, which is locked behind a pack (or MC, and I wanted to buy w/ $ for loyalty program). I ended up with the Nova, and so far I think I'd have done better with Mishipeshu since I have a good Shadow Cat build.

The Nova seems to be made of glass, and it has not enough ECM, speed, or armor to make up for its fragility.

I'd like to do something that can take advantage of the huge amount of hard points to run a good amount of flamers, but tonnage is low as well.

What Breaker builds have worked for y'all?
Right now I am trying 6 ER micro lasers + LBX10/2 tons + 4 flamers... the LBX is a step in the right direction, but I'm not happy with it. Medium pulse lasers eat a lot of tonnage and I just end up with something that's going to play exactly like a worse version of the Crab that I'm going to pick up when the C-bill sale starts...

Edited by Jonathan8883, 13 December 2017 - 08:36 AM.

#2 Ruccus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:51 AM

I'd suggest trying out the 12ERSL Nova build. If you're worried about its lack of range add the left and right AMS torsos then swap some heatsinks for two AMS and some ammo to give you missile protection and allow you to feel like you're contributing to the team in the early match if it becomes a long range standoff.

Another option is to add the NVA-B right arm for the UAC jam chance reduction then put either a UAC10 or dual UAC5s in the Breaker's right torso.

Edited by Ruccus, 13 December 2017 - 07:52 AM.

#3 Daggett

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:10 AM

View PostJonathan8883, on 12 December 2017 - 04:47 PM, said:

I'd like to do something that can take advantage of the huge amount of hit points to run a good amount of flamers, but tonnage is low as well.

If you want hitpoints, speed and flamers, try a Gargoyle. Runs equally fast, has much more armor and more free tonnage than the Nova and can also carry more energy weapons (up to 16). Main drawback of cause is it's size so you need to use cover better to get into the brawl unscathed.

Edited by Daggett, 13 December 2017 - 08:11 AM.

#4 Jonathan8883

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 708 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:37 AM

Sorry, that should have been hardpoints in the OP.

#5 Daggett

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:55 AM

No problem, should have figured that out myself what you meant. On the Breaker i would try 10 heavy small lasers and 5 Flamers and fill the rest with 20-22 DHS depending on how well you can live without lower arm actuators. Posted Image

The 10 heavies work well with ghost heat (you can do a left-right punch) while dealing significant damage.

The problem is that flamers and energy weapons both generate lots of heat.
You need to have quite some trigger control to not overheat yourself. But if you fire the flamers in short, controlled bursts i think it can work.

Edit: I'm a fan of LBX10 paired with flamers too, so i think your current build is quite decent against single targets. If only the Nova could carry 2 LBX-10s like the Bushwacker. With only one it takes a while to rack up damage...

Edited by Daggett, 13 December 2017 - 09:06 AM.

#6 Jonathan8883

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 708 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:47 AM

The Nova has no ECM and only 81kph... it's very hard to get to close range without taking severe damage.

#7 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:56 AM

View PostJonathan8883, on 13 December 2017 - 09:47 AM, said:

The Nova has no ECM and only 81kph... it's very hard to get to close range without taking severe damage.

You'll have to use cover, or better yet pair up with a bigger ally. Find your assault lance and stick near them, you're fast enough to outrun any assault mech, so you'll easily be able to keep pace with them and protect them with AMS or shoot down any light mechs that try to flank them and 12 ERSLs puts out enough damage to be very helpful in a brawling situation.

Another alternative would be to bring 6-8 ER medium lasers. I'll often bring 4 medium lasers in each arm and fire them in separate groups. You can make use of the jump jets to pop up and fire off an alpha of all 8 without shutting down if you're on resting heat or you can walk out from cover and hit someone with a good 1-2 punch before getting back behind something to cool off.

In general though, never run at the enemy in a way that makes you take any damage if your plan is to close on them. The maps often have many routes to each place and abundant cover, and there is always your team as a place you can fall back to.

#8 Darrious Quinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 244 posts
  • LocationUS East Coast

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:31 AM

View PostJonathan8883, on 13 December 2017 - 09:47 AM, said:

Comparing this to your other post, yea its your playstyle. Unless you're a apart of an advancing firing line, you shouldn't be advancing on ANYONE while staring straight at them. You may as well be screaming YOLO or LLLLEEEEERRROOOOYYYYYYYY if that's all you've been doing.

I don't feel any Nova is tanky enough to face rush something bigger then it is. Even then... some smaller mechs have a bigger bite. Dakota is dead on... stay behind cover until you can ambush a target

#9 Larsh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Lanner
  • The Lanner
  • 272 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationYinz all going to EnP at PGH n'at?

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:08 AM

I run mine as a SRM Brawler. Can rack up the C Bills nicely.

#10 The Schwartz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 126 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 10:34 AM

been running the omni's with the 3e "give pulse laser heat gen buff" then run 3x MPL in each one with 2LMAS that you can toggle on and off and gives you space for 3x double heat sinks. Mainly use it to support my heavies/assualts as it's great for peaking out from behing them, or jump up behind them to drop those MPLs into their target. runs pretty cool all n all and having two weapons groups makes life simple.

#11 Squiggy McPew

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 755 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 12:20 PM

I settled on this nova prime build. Runs cool enough with left/right punch staggering of the heavy mediums.

Posted Image

#12 The Schwartz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 126 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 04:12 AM

I run mine with the Hellbringer loadout. 2 HLL 4 HML... If you use the energy side torsos with the 6energy arms with 2 HMLs in each arm and 1 HLL in ea torso then the profile of all the energy points are at the same level( no groundpounding lasers) But there's ovens that run cooler. It's like a squishier HBKIIC but with JJ's and faster torso movement (still doesn't perform as well as the HBKIIC) but i like it. Tried a pair of ATM 6's with it using JJ's and some ersl and it did okay. It's mainly too papery for srms imo. Mainly a poker so the 12erml is still pretty effective for shooting around corners n such.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users