Russ Just Tweeted About Hellspawn's Missile Pods.

35 replies to this topic

#1 GrimRiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationIf not here and not there, then where?

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:34 AM

Russ asked if you want to keep pods and get more quirks OR remove pods.

https://twitter.com/...997335361896449

#2 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:40 AM

You won't get MORE quirks.
You'll just keep the current ones.

But if you want the cancerous growths gone, you'd lose the quirks too (which is kinda unfair in my opinion)

#3 Kanil

• 1,067 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:42 AM

I'd rather the 'mech look good.

But personally, I don't see the problem with removing the pods and keeping the quirks... is the Hellspawn really gonna be new meta because you can give up a hardpoint in order to get arms that don't fall off?

#4 CygnusX7

• 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:47 AM

View PostKanil, on 13 December 2017 - 09:42 AM, said:

I'd rather the 'mech look good.

But personally, I don't see the problem with removing the pods and keeping the quirks... is the Hellspawn really gonna be new meta because you can give up a hardpoint in order to get arms that don't fall off?

Exactly.

#5 GrimRiver

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationIf not here and not there, then where?

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:48 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 13 December 2017 - 09:40 AM, said:

You won't get MORE quirks.
You'll just keep the current ones.

But if you want the cancerous growths gone, you'd lose the quirks too (which is kinda unfair in my opinion)

Oh ok, I read it wrong. lol

But I'd rather keep the quirks and deal with the pods, I don't think the pods adds too much in the way of geometry.

#6 Iain Sumner

• PipPipPip
  • The Star
  • The Star
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:51 AM

Hellspawn RA are fine, it like it how it is.

Edited by Iain Sumner, 13 December 2017 - 09:51 AM.

#7 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:54 AM

Wait a sec.

So they are in effect putting a balance issue up to a vote?
Hot damn!

Can we do this for other mechs? Like lower the engine cap on a Quickdraw to say a 325 and get more defensive quirks? Or lower the Kodiak 3’s highest torso hard points a bit in exchange for some mobility?

Its a new era! We are in charge now! Woo-who!

#8 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:01 AM

Why vote for quirks, that can be easily taken away? Vote for the removal of the pod.

#9 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:08 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 13 December 2017 - 10:01 AM, said:

Why vote for quirks, that can be easily taken away? Vote for the removal of the pod.

Posted Image

#10 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:08 AM

I'd keep the pods. They allow your arms to act as shields even when empty. This makes it an advantage for anyone using builds that run using just the torso weapons or using two energy weapons in the arm that doesn't have a missile pod, basically making the hellspawn an excellent mech for running dual PPCs with jump jets on.

We also get to keep some quirks ontop of the advantage of shield arms. It is a win-win.

#11 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:36 AM

View PostHammerMaster, on 13 December 2017 - 09:50 AM, said:

I don't Twitter or Reddit. Nor should we when we MWO.

Also another thread.

Something this important SHOULD NOT be decided outside of MWO forums and vote fields!

Edited by HammerMaster, 13 December 2017 - 10:38 AM.

#12 stealthraccoon

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:52 AM

Seriously, if left empty it’s not a big deal, as others said, the CT goes long before that nub gets your arm shot off.

Just drive the one with all the lasers if it bothers you.

Edited by stealthraccoon, 13 December 2017 - 10:53 AM.

#13 Verilligo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 789 posts
  • LocationPodunk, U.S.A.

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:54 AM

It's a Hellspawn. This mech has never been good ever, even in MW4 it was a pile of crap that you only used because you hadn't gotten anything better yet in the campaign. I fail to see the need to have an either/or in this situation and I really hope Chris agrees. If anything, the mech needs a buff in the form of improving the defensive quirks, but spreading them out more. Ten or twenty armor on the LT is good, but now split the armor bonus in the RA to 60-70% current and add that same amount to the LA. Improve the RT so that it's an armor quirk of 10, rather than structure of 5. Now apply these to every variant. If you're worried about players never taking the missile pods, then give them a reason to TAKE an abundance of missiles in the variants that have arm missile pods. Don't put the mech's survivability on the line instead, it's already bad enough that it has to compete with things like the Blackjack or Shadow Cat.

Incidentally, the -9F's RA needs to be looked at. If you take any missile, a 20 tube launcher, and an energy, the 20 tube launcher moves down to the RA... and covers up the laser cube with missile tubes. You can do it in other ways, too, all you're trying to do is shift a 20 tube down to the non-missile pod hardpoint.

#14 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:00 AM

Can't even comment, as I don't own a Hellspawn so I shouldn't have a say.

#15 Oberost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:19 AM

Posted Image

#16 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:23 AM

The quirks are good, but they got applied to the wrong body parts.

You can shield the LT with the whole right side of the 'Mech or close the weapon door if you need the extra protection that badly, and the RA is a non-vital component. The existing armor quirks should be reallocated to the RT and CT, since those are the Hellspawn's most vulnerable locations.

#17 N0ni

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:36 AM

View PostVerilligo, on 13 December 2017 - 10:54 AM, said:

It's a Hellspawn. This mech has never been good ever, even in MW4 it was a pile of crap that you only used because you hadn't gotten anything better yet in the campaign.

Out of the 50+ campaign runs in MW4 Vengeance, Black Knight and Mercenaries even then i have never used the Hellspawn because you couldn't fit any worthwhile energy weapons and all you had at that point were LRMs. I'd just put pulse lasers and SRMs in it, call it good and give it to a lancemate.

The only time it ever saw use was in multiplayer CTF, put in a few small streaks/MLs/high explosives and beef up the engine as much as i could while still keeping ECM/JJ. Even then the Raven did that job much better without jets.

#18 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 13 December 2017 - 12:02 PM

View PostHammerMaster, on 13 December 2017 - 08:22 AM, said:

This is why people rage at PGI about the quirks pendulum/dartboard. Quirks are meant to bring "under performers" back to base line. Now it's Occam's Razor. What is simpler? More quirks? (Wrong we need less) or! No box when no missiles? (Correct. No quirks or LESS quirks needed)
Point being: stop with the quirks and address the issue you are trying to band-aid with quirks in the first place. (Hey, why is mech X underperforming?)

#19 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 13 December 2017 - 12:08 PM

Not sure why the pods are an issue - if an enemy wants to target the arm pods instead of going for my torso they're very welcomed to do so. I'll take an alpha strike to the arm over an alpha strike to the torso every day of the week.

#20 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 12:11 PM

I did hang onto them for a long while in all three MW4 titles, even though I rarely drove them myself, because they made good lancemate 'Mechs. LRMs and a bunch of electronics made them good supports, which in the end is kinda what they were built for. It probably would have been an okay early 'Mech but for the fact that pretty much every one-slot weapon in the game besides the CSSRM4 and CUAC5 sucked eggs, which left the Hellspawn and its single-slot energy hardpoints high and dry compared to literally every other medium... and since there was never a time when you had Hellspawns but not another better chassis, what was the point? It was a sad little robbit until MekTek modded the hardpoints to let it run CERLLs with its missiles.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users