Retired Mechs?

12 replies to this topic

#1 Ogre hunter

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 10:27 AM

Are there Mechs that are no longer in play? I have seen videos on ones such as the Light Pirates Bane or Legend Killer and I go to purchase one of these to set up a build that I have found to like, and they are no where to be found. Do Mech Chassis get retired and taken out of play?

Edited by Ogre hunter, 14 December 2017 - 10:27 AM.

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 10:34 AM

View PostOgre hunter, on 14 December 2017 - 10:27 AM, said:

Are there Mechs that are no longer in play? I have seen videos on ones such as the Light Pirates Bane or Legend Killer and I go to purchase one of these to set up a build that I have found to like, and they are no where to be found. Do Mech Chassis get retired and taken out of play?

No.

I'm assuming you are looking at the in-game store? If so..
"Battlemechs."
"HERO"
And now browse.

#3 epikt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 10:35 AM

As far as I know there is no retired chassis.

Pirate's bane is the hero variant of the Locust and Legend Killer the hero variant of the Rifleman, both purchasable for MCs in the store.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 10:37 AM

Pirate's Bane, Legend Killer (I use this one frequently) are both referred to as "Hero" mechs.. Basically these are mechs with either canonical notable pilots from the Battletech universe OR PGI-made up notable pilots that are being made canon into the Battletech tabletop game by Catalyst Games (though Catalyst expressly stated their loadouts are probably going to be nothing like MWO's heromech loadouts as they make little to no sense in the tabletop game).

Pirate's Bane can be found under Locust.
Legend Killer is under Rifleman.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 10:53 AM

Here is Legend Killer in the store. I didn't click it so it is instead showing the one that I own and still have selected.
Posted Image
(Store version's colors, loadout visuals, etc. is in spoiler)
Spoiler

There is supposed to be a sale sometime this month. Matt (the PGI dev running them) said there's been unintentional delays related to the daily events which has had him postpone the sales but they will be up either this weekend or next.

I recommend waiting, just in case if hero mechs go on sale as well.

This said, I consistently get really good scores with my really basic quad LBX2 build. Legend Killer is natively tanky and the skill tree can be used to make extra emphasis on this. This was one of many from just yesterday.
Posted Image
I could have done better in this one despite having been heftily damaged on the front line due to the lead we had, but it was diaper changing time for my little one and so I sat and let everyone else wrap it up while I took care of real life first. I took the snapshot because I wish I had filmed it. Solo kills mean that only I did the work and among them was a meta Kodiak 3 and an Ebon Jaguar. A fresh Kodiak 3, according to meta-lovers, is one of the most formidable ballistic boats there is and I should've been shredded. But I beat it with what people argue to be the worst gun in the game, face to face, at 300 meters with nothing in between us and neither of us letting up our fire.

Goes to say something about meta.

(Meta is a lie.)

Edited by Koniving, 14 December 2017 - 10:56 AM.

#6 Ogre hunter

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 10:59 AM

aha! I did not look in the hero section. Thankyou all!

#7 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 14 December 2017 - 11:05 AM

View PostOgre hunter, on 14 December 2017 - 10:59 AM, said:

aha! I did not look in the hero section. Thankyou all!

Just to pile on information, there are a few mechs you can no longer buy. These are the Founders and Phoenix versions of some chassis, the Limited Edition Grid Iron and the Sarah's Jenner*. In all of those cases, you can buy "vanilla" versions, so you can still play the mech, you just won't have some special geometry/paint and the 30% CB bonus those mechs have (XP in the case of Sarah's IIRC).

*There may be others I can't recall, I don't want to obsessively update this post though, so take this as representative...

Edited by TercieI, 14 December 2017 - 11:12 AM.

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 11:48 AM

(Hey, you can still get those mechs. Just not the visually unique versions that are otherwise identical in every other aspect.)

(Sarah's Jenner is still literally a Jenner JR7-D... but with a unicorn and other cute things on it. Founder's Atlas is just a one eyed angry Atlas head on a normal Atlas AS7-D, etc.)

#9 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 14 December 2017 - 11:51 AM

View PostKoniving, on 14 December 2017 - 11:48 AM, said:

(Hey, you can still get those mechs. Just not the visually unique versions that are otherwise identical in every other aspect.)

(Sarah's Jenner is still literally a Jenner JR7-D... but with a unicorn and other cute things on it. Founder's Atlas is just a one eyed angry Atlas head on a normal Atlas AS7-D, etc.)

Read the post, Kon.

#10 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 14 December 2017 - 01:32 PM

You know, the title of this thread sounds like a great option for one of those Heffay clips.
Maybe along the lines of the Monty Python skit on Yorkshire men.

Edited by 50 50, 14 December 2017 - 01:34 PM.

#11 Throe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 12:59 PM

[removed by user]

Edited by Throe, 05 October 2023 - 01:09 PM.

#12 M E X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 381 posts
  • Locationg-town, Vienna, Austria, EU.

Posted 20 December 2017 - 02:00 PM

View PostKoniving, on 14 December 2017 - 10:53 AM, said:

A fresh Kodiak 3, according to meta-lovers, is one of the most formidable ballistic boats there is and I should've been shredded. But I beat it with what people argue to be the worst gun in the game, face to face, at 300 meters with nothing in between us and neither of us letting up our fire.

Goes to say something about meta...
The KDK-3 didnt per chance have (C) appended and was painted in BASIC GREEN without any pattern or decal ?

Killing a UNSKILLED TRIAL KDK-3(C) isnt too difficult, especially as usually BAD PILOTS are driving them Posted Image
I have facehugged some of them with a BJ and survived it Posted Image

Edited by M E X, 20 December 2017 - 02:00 PM.

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 10:01 PM

View PostM E X, on 20 December 2017 - 02:00 PM, said:

The KDK-3 didnt per chance have (C) appended and was painted in BASIC GREEN without any pattern or decal ?

Killing a UNSKILLED TRIAL KDK-3(C) isnt too difficult, especially as usually BAD PILOTS are driving them Posted Image
I have facehugged some of them with a BJ and survived it Posted Image

It was a dark grey and had two ultra tens and two ultra fives with no other weapons to speak of.. It also overheated and had the disadvantage of being high up which is normally great, unless you have to look down. That was soon fixed but the precious seconds he lost to that were enough to doom him (as unlike him, I could aim up high with my arms and even down low when the tables were reversed.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users