New Star Wars Movie, What Did Y'all Think?

27 replies to this topic

#1 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 06:16 PM

I just The Last Jedi and loved it. If not for being in a crowded theater I would've been bawling my eyes out - twice. It definitely has some issues with it but I thought that it was a great addition to the series, much better than The Force Awakens (which I thought was good but not great).

What's everybody else's thoughts on it? I know I can't be the only person to have watched it.

#2 Naelbis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 127 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 09:28 PM

It was bad. When even my 7 year old son who breathes Star Wars is saying "That's not possible" to certain scenes you know you jumped the shark. There was a lot of potential in this movie..and it failed to realize 90% of it through bad editing and writing.

#3 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:28 AM

View PostNaelbis, on 17 December 2017 - 09:28 PM, said:

It was bad. When even my 7 year old son who breathes Star Wars is saying "That's not possible" to certain scenes you know you jumped the shark. There was a lot of potential in this movie..and it failed to realize 90% of it through bad editing and writing.

BUHH... you can go in a Star Treck - and say "Thats not possible" because those guys at Star Treck predict that they are "real" SicFi - but Star Treck is the same fairy-tale as Star Wars with the difference that you should not expect anything but a nice looking "fairy story" in Star Wars.

And thats it - the plot is bad as most Star Was plots, over simplified as every fairy-tale since the beginning of time.
Want SicFi - go watch Expanse

#4 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:36 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 18 December 2017 - 01:28 AM, said:

BUHH... you can go in a Star Treck - and say "Thats not possible" because those guys at Star Treck predict that they are "real" SicFi - but Star Treck is the same fairy-tale as Star Wars with the difference that you should not expect anything but a nice looking "fairy story" in Star Wars.

And thats it - the plot is bad as most Star Was plots, over simplified as every fairy-tale since the beginning of time.
Want SicFi - go watch Expanse

Sorry karl, but thats kinda not true. just because something, "unrealistic" happens doesn't means something unrealistic equals something else unrealistical. Every fictional universe has a lore and it's own "rules" under which the unrealistical things of their lore and plot happen. But when you throw that too far away out of your window you start to violate your own lore and universe, and thats when people start to say the other kind of "unrealistical" because you start screwing up with the consistence of your own made up universe. And this is the bad kind of "unrealitic" you do not want to happen.

#5 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 08:32 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 18 December 2017 - 06:36 AM, said:

Sorry karl, but thats kinda not true. just because something, "unrealistic" happens doesn't means something unrealistic equals something else unrealistical. Every fictional universe has a lore and it's own "rules" under which the unrealistical things of their lore and plot happen.

Darth Vader was a virgin conception done through the force. There really is no baseline on what is or isn't canon but it can be pretty wild.

Spoiler

Honestly I thought more folks would like what we saw since there was a fair amount of incorporation of interesting stuff from the old extended universe that Disney axed.

Edited by IllCaesar, 18 December 2017 - 08:38 AM.

#6 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:07 AM

View PostIllCaesar, on 18 December 2017 - 08:32 AM, said:

Darth Vader was a virgin conception done through the force. There really is no baseline on what is or isn't canon but it can be pretty wild.

Spoiler

Honestly I thought more folks would like what we saw since there was a fair amount of incorporation of interesting stuff from the old extended universe that Disney axed.

is that said so int he books? she only said there is no father, maybe she got knocked out by something in a drink, the planet isn't actually filled with nice people :P

#7 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:49 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 18 December 2017 - 09:07 AM, said:

is that said so int he books?

Nope, explicitly stated in The Phantom Menace, which visibly effects Qui-Gon and causes him to do more questioning of the boy. Its even mentioned in his report to the Jedi Council. Further, its thumped over your head in Revenge of the Sith in the opera house scene where you have Anakin Skywalker sitting next to Palpatine as he talks about the force being used to create life with some sort of show in the background that looks like sperm fertilizing an egg. The implication is that somebody, most likely Palpatine, somehow abused the force to create an apperentice out of scratch. If you forget the first bit its easy to not notice that second half.

#8 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,807 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 18 December 2017 - 08:53 PM

Just saw it. I liked it, and I liked the audience gasping and cheering in the right spots. The plot was a bit thin in places, particularly the capital ship stuff. I appreciated all the force/Jedi things and didn't feel they strained any credibility. I understood why it ended the way it did, and honestly that was the best way forward for more movies.

Better than Force Awakens. Not quite as good as Rogue One.

#9 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 02:33 AM

View PostIllCaesar, on 18 December 2017 - 09:49 AM, said:

Nope, explicitly stated in The Phantom Menace, which visibly effects Qui-Gon and causes him to do more questioning of the boy. Its even mentioned in his report to the Jedi Council. Further, its thumped over your head in Revenge of the Sith in the opera house scene where you have Anakin Skywalker sitting next to Palpatine as he talks about the force being used to create life with some sort of show in the background that looks like sperm fertilizing an egg. The implication is that somebody, most likely Palpatine, somehow abused the force to create an apperentice out of scratch. If you forget the first bit its easy to not notice that second half.

ah ok, thx, quite interesting.

#10 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 19 December 2017 - 05:23 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 18 December 2017 - 08:53 PM, said:

Just saw it. I liked it, and I liked the audience gasping and cheering in the right spots. The plot was a bit thin in places, particularly the capital ship stuff. I appreciated all the force/Jedi things and didn't feel they strained any credibility. I understood why it ended the way it did, and honestly that was the best way forward for more movies.

Better than Force Awakens. Not quite as good as Rogue One.

Bingo.

Good Star Wars Movie. Not the worse, like 1, 2, 3.

Not the best like 3.5, 4, 5, and 6.

Worth the ticket price first time, not full price the second time.

#11 Omaha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 559 posts
  • LocationAnywhere

Posted 19 December 2017 - 05:49 AM

That jump to lightspeed! XD was epic!

I'm curious about the "Solo" movie coming in May. I saw an interview with Harrison Ford and he said he was glad he was dead. LOL He hated those movies. So I'm assuming it will be his childhood/teenage years, and will be played by another actor.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3778644/ - Solo IMDB

Edited by Omaha, 19 December 2017 - 05:57 AM.

#12 Rorik Thrumsalr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 19 December 2017 - 05:33 PM

I enjoyed watching it in the theaters, but after several days of thinking it over I'm becoming less and less happy with it. It may actually be to the point of strong dislike now. My reasons range from total character assassination to the total futility of everyone's actions to the very large plot holes that can only be answered by severe scrutiny. If they can be answered at all.

#13 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 01:52 AM

View PostDavegt27, on 19 December 2017 - 06:39 PM, said:

back in the 1970's Star Wars was billed as a return to swashbuckling hero's and good guys winning
the day

that explains the ending of the empire strikes back Posted Image

but currently the "dark side" and the "empire" are juts "in" so thats why we get what we get. Moniez need to be made.

Edited by Lily from animove, 20 December 2017 - 01:52 AM.

#14 latinisator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 561 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 December 2017 - 10:55 AM

Well, I liked VIII better than VII, which is the Jar Jar Binks (2/10) among the SW movies. That fact (imho) does not make for great movie, let alone a SW movie.

The plot is thinner than my Mech's rear armor and side plots are just there to give some screentime to certain characters. No impact on the main plot whatsoever.
The Jedi training of Rey was good though I didn't like the return of a certain Jedi as a physical manifestation, being able to influence the environment.
Kylo is now a villain and not a whiny guy, I like that. The means of communication between him and Rey not so much: "phonecalls" using the force is ok, but seeing each other? Might be, however, a real close relationship between the both of them, which would be a nice twist. ("Rey, I am your...brother").

Things I absolutely didn't like were the use of the force by Leia after she got blown (sucked) out of the cruisers bridge. Force-sensitive as she may be, she did never learn to use the force, did she?
Concerning this: physics. In the beginning the bomb bay of the bomber is open but the brave pilot is not sucked out (like Leia later on)? How is that possible? AND how can bombs just fall out of a space craft without being fired but being dropped and falling perpendicular onto the capital ship?
Also: way too many jokes (and not even good ones for that matter).

To sum it up: a nice popcorn movie with a little Star Wars feeling now and then - not overwhelmingly good but not horribly bad either. Also it is not a carbon copy of TESB, so it's 5/10.

#15 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 20 December 2017 - 02:17 PM

I did overall like it. I'm not a Star Wars fanatic, and perhaps "easy to please" here.

Mark Hamill did the old Luke really well, I thought. I also adored Laura Dern's character.

My biggest issue is with Snoke and Kylo Ren (more the former). I don't find these compelling villains.

#16 Harlock69

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 144 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:09 PM

OVerall, I enjoyed it, but I would have really liked to have some sort of a Snoke backstory. Just enough to know who he was/why he was in charge.

#17 Randall Flagg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 590 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 09:02 PM

The movie was pure trash.

#18 Mighty Spike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,590 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHoly Beer City of Munich

Posted 28 December 2017 - 05:57 AM

This true bout the movie?

Edited by Mighty Spike, 28 December 2017 - 06:00 AM.

#19 latinisator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 561 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 December 2017 - 10:37 AM

Well, watching it now actually, Spike, but telling from the points below the video I'd say yes. A big yes.

To sum it up in German: spar dir das Geld und investiere es in Bier! Oder MC.

#20 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:45 AM

View PostMighty Spike, on 28 December 2017 - 05:57 AM, said:

This true bout the movie?

About half of what he said in that video was straight up factually inaccurate, often times ignoring things that were explicitly explained in the film, while most of the rest showed a severe lack of imagination or even outright ignoring the painfully obvious themes of the film at times. The film has tons of issues, especially in its janky second act and the odd but deliberate choices made for it, but that video doesn't really go into many of them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users