Anyone Have A Good Is Medium Laser Vomit Build?

9 replies to this topic

#1 Renegade91

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:11 AM

I am new to Mechwarrior Online, and am looking to try an IS medium mech laser vomit build. Does anyone have a suggestion of what I should try?

#2 Commodore Perspicuous

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:37 AM

Blackjack 1X
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b692bc554f68104

Crab 27
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2a2948bc0a0d2b9

Crab 27B
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ef82f7385412812

Hunchback 4P
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b276174e3f026c3

Edited by Commodore Perspicuous, 19 November 2017 - 01:42 AM.

#3 Renegade91

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 02:04 AM

Thank you! I am thinking I'm going to try either the Blackjack 1x or the Crab 27B first. Do you prefer one over the other, or have one you think I should try first?

#4 Commodore Perspicuous

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 03:34 AM

Yeah, the Crab 27B is a good place to start. I feel like Crabs are a little more reliable than Blackjacks these days. But I haven't played my Blackjacks in a while...

#5 Whipley

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:40 AM

Yeah, definitely go with the crab. I'm a fan of the 27 with 5 med pulse. Good "meta" close-in build. It's also a good mech to practice firing and torso twisting. Even if you lose your side torsos on that mech you'll still have 3 med pulses in your CT and H. It takes quite a lot to bring that thing down.

Something like this:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6f7bf30ed305c9f

Edit: You can also stick a bigger light engine in there for more speed, engine heatsinks, or the dbl ams (which is fun for wreckin' a lurmers good time.)

Edited by Whipley, 19 November 2017 - 10:42 AM.

#6 Renegade91

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:25 AM

Any advice on how I should play a mech like this? Should I be going for flanks and backstabs? Or should I try to support the assaults? What do you guys think?

#7 Shadey99

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:52 PM

Think more: mobile support. You want to stay near the big boys, but not stand in the line of fire. Keep moving and taking shots whenever you can. The crab in particular plays much like a typical Stormcrow laser vomit build, so if you've ever seen a Stormcrow in action that is the same sort of style.

#8 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:24 AM

If you want lasers take the crab. Its one of the tankiest IS mediums, and it can run just about any variation of laser vomit from MPL to ERLL. The thing is a absolute nightmare to bring down without crazy high alfa strike, and most of the builds on it are at least workable even if a bit subpar compared to what clan can do (if you really really like laser vomit, clanners do it better, my stormcrow has better range and DPS then a IS heavy).

If you want to brawl, bring all MPLs and just focus components (burn time so short it may as well be hitscan PPFLD), if you want a general build load up some MLs and LLs, and if you want to snipe stick 3 ERLLs on there with a few backup MLs if you want to. Also, unlike most other mechs, the crab is reasonably XL safe provided you dont get flanked and sidestabbed, so feel free to stick a large engine in there, just be aware of where enemies are hitting you are shield damage away from the already hurt side.

As for the rest, the blackjack isnt bad, but it isnt quite heavy enuff to bring enough DHS to keep it cool, and its hitboxes are atrocious and very obvious (i love going up against a blackjack in my clan mechs, im pretty much gauranteed to kill them b4 i die 1v1).

Hunch is also an option, but the problem is that most good players really focus your RT, and once thats gone you may as well eject and get in something else. Almost all firepower in a side torso is a recipie for disaster unless you can play that fine line where you never get focused but are still in effective range for your guns and firing almost non-stop heat allowing. Its got the most energy hardpoints of the bunch though, so if you really want to try something akin to 9 medium lasers, its your only real option.

As to playing em, you want to really hang at around the max optimal (or a bit past) range of the lasers you chose to bring (~200 for MPL, 350 for ML, 400-500 for LPL/ERML/LL, 800 for ERLL), and focus on hitting targets that are engaging your team and are thus unlikely to shoot you while you puke lasers at em. As IS, you have the bbenefit of being able to take a bit more of a beating vs clan, but even so, its not advised to take excessive fire unless doing so will win teh game (say the clock is running down and you need to take down omega despite enemy firing line).

Edited by panzer1b, 14 January 2018 - 11:31 AM.

#9 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:31 PM

Kind of late to the party here, but I wouldn't recommend Crabs. Whatever advantage they may have in tankyness, is more than offset by their sluggish handling.

I would suggest something faster so you can get out of trouble quicker, like a Cicada. You can load up 6 MLs or 5 MPLs, go fast, and be reasonably offensive minded with this chassis.

#10 Daggett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:56 PM

View PostNRP, on 14 January 2018 - 03:31 PM, said:

Kind of late to the party here, but I wouldn't recommend Crabs. Whatever advantage they may have in tankyness, is more than offset by their sluggish handling.

I would suggest something faster so you can get out of trouble quicker, like a Cicada. You can load up 6 MLs or 5 MPLs, go fast, and be reasonably offensive minded with this chassis.

Personally i'd go for the Cicada too just for it's speed (130 kph with 5 quirked medium pulse lasers and 16 DHS is very solid on the 2B), but since it plays more like a light it may be too fast for a new player.

So i think in his case the Crab could indeed be a better choice. Sluggishness in managable, he just needs to wiggle the nose a bit when fired upon to spread damage nicely. And on his tier they probably don't shoot the legs which is the crab's main weakness.

Edited by Daggett, 14 January 2018 - 03:58 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users