Earning 250 Match Score In Faction Play Is Especially For Is Pilots Nearly Unachievable - The `stocking Stuffer Iii Faction Play Event` Is Too Hard

24 replies to this topic

#1 Dithmenos

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:35 PM

In short: for Scouting, there is hardly enough armor to scratch to do enough damage to gain a match score of 250. In Invasion, the match score is divided over the number of used mechs, so it probably should be as high as the score required in Quickplay, where 150 is a fair challenge. With a required match score of 250 is the current event in Scouting and Invasion for many players 'beyond being a challenge' and just outright impossible.

I tried a few matches of Invasion and Scouting. In Invasion, on the usually losing Inner Sphere side, are roughly about 2 players from a 12 drop that actually manage to beat the challenge. Considering that a Invasion drop is by itself a rather tedious match, it is very frustrating to not even be able to beat the challenge. In Scouting, IS mechs are heavier and better armored compared to Clan, which gives Clan pilots an even better chance to even beat the challenge. Besides for switching to Streak boats for minimum effect and maximum damage, there is not much a pilot can do.

So, additionally to the already tough challenge, Inner Sphere is in this event extremely handicapped. There will be frustration all along, if its not going to be fixed soon for the current event.

Edited by Dithmenos, 19 December 2017 - 09:37 PM.

#2 Dithmenos

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:01 AM

You and I are not exactly the typical players. For many players, its a impossible challenge.

#3 Darkhorse045

• Pip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 10:59 AM

It's only challenging if you cannot fight well, its a matter of playing smart and knowing when to peek and fight with the clans range advantage. And if your team doesn't want to coordinate and cooperate that round, use them as bait.

#4 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 21 December 2017 - 07:14 AM

The event is quite long, you have time to change to Clan tech before the end if you need it. 250 is achievable, just drop with a good team and it rack up. In a pug team and not being a user of cannon fodder it's a lot harder Clan or IS.

#5 McHoshi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 December 2017 - 03:51 PM

View PostSam Ael, on 20 December 2017 - 04:36 AM, said:

Even if you lose all your mechs, you can achieve 250 MS. It's not a matter of balance:

Posted Image

As you can clearly see - raise that damn min Matchscore to 300 for FP and 200 for QP. Posted Image

#6 PFC Carsten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 22 December 2017 - 05:24 AM

View PostDithmenos, on 19 December 2017 - 09:35 PM, said:

In short: for Scouting, there is hardly enough armor to scratch to do enough damage to gain a match score of 250. In Invasion, the match score is divided over the number of used mechs, so it probably should be as high as the score required in Quickplay, where 150 is a fair challenge. With a required match score of 250 is the current event in Scouting and Invasion for many players 'beyond being a challenge' and just outright impossible.

While in invasion it's literally EZ mode, maybe you should think about the possibility that it was devised this way in order not to have all the event farmers flodding scouting mode.

#7 Dithmenos

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 05:19 AM

View PostPFC Carsten, on 22 December 2017 - 05:24 AM, said:

While in invasion it's literally EZ mode, maybe you should think about the possibility that it was devised this way in order not to have all the event farmers flodding scouting mode.

Why would PGI even care about that? And how can you assume invasion is in any way easy for most players?

What PGI wants, is that players keep playing MWO. Its the only reason I can see right now. So, having a event/challenge that can't be beaten will lead to the exact opposite: practically no one is playing it and those who try get seriously disappointed (pro-gamers are an exception). I assume, its a big mistake and the event manager hadn't noticed it yet.

Edited by Dithmenos, 23 December 2017 - 05:21 AM.

#8 Ignatz22

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 172 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 07:01 AM

View PostDamnedtroll, on 21 December 2017 - 07:14 AM, said:

The event is quite long, you have time to change to Clan tech before the end if you need it. 250 is achievable, just drop with a good team and it rack up. In a pug team and not being a user of cannon fodder it's a lot harder Clan or IS.

...Which is the reason Newbies and Not-so-hot players are turned off. Want more players? Make more awards, easier challenges. Do really good players really NEED a tough challenge? Isn't the higher level or gameplay enough? Meanwhile, newbies and Losers like me struggle, fail and find something else to do, like feeding the cat or watching "It's a Wonderful Life" for the five thousandth time.
Seriously, what does it cost to give some cockpit items and junk to get people back??Posted Image

#9 Ibrandul Mike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 04:27 PM

The reason is that it shouldn't be done with scouting but still be possible with it. As was explained by Matt somewhere in an event thread.

That said... Perhaps one small change would be enough. For Invasion change the max multiplier from 4 to 3 vor even 2 so that dropping in a New mech would still lower your matchscore but far less. That way Invasion would be preferable to Scouting and the needed MS could be kept at 250 vor even raised to 300.

Situation now:
You need a MS of 250 per mech in Invasion. So with damage only roughly 500 DMG done per mech. This is because your matchscore gets divided by the number of mechs used.

Suggestion:
For Invasion only change the multiplier. Every mech only adds 0.5 instead of 1 to the counter.
In the end the needed MS could be changed to 300. It would be like the quickplay requirement because ecffectively you would need 150 MS per mech. At the same time Scouting would still be viable but a lot less compelling.

So both goals could be achieved while players who might be only doing it for the event and perhaps not even having 4 mechs for that side, have a better chance to not be totally frustrated.
We could discuss if forcing players to play a mode they don't want to play or for which they are not suited is a good idea all day long. In the end I think the suggestion might upset less people though. As far as I unterstand the event system, there is no difference between Scouting and Invasion (both are FP) and only a differentiation between QP and FP. Which means there is no way to set the needed MS for Invasion to 150 while keeping it at 250 for Scouting, which would even be preferable to my suggestion.

Edit: Smartphones and Forums don't mix well

Edited by Ibrandul Mike, 23 December 2017 - 04:31 PM.

#10 Chaossaur

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 06:26 PM

Theres no way i'll ever score 250 in faction play either mode.

Even if I think i've done well usually there will be one mech that got team smashed before I dealt any damage, especially on attack siege.
I'm only a casual player so it's not achievable, you're giving free (but earnable) mechs to players who likely already have a ton of mechs anyway.

The quickplay ones you can just plug away till you get it so thats not a problem, the faction play ones I doubt over the event i'll even get 1
Maybe in 10 invasions I might get one where I get 1. you need to get 50 invasions where you get that to earn your mech, so thats 500 invasions i'll have to play

#11 Bjorn JorgenssonX

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 10:16 AM

Okay its only EZ if you drop with a premade team. It is nearly impossible if you drop solo or with a small group. QP is easy, but FW is nearly impossible. 250 is too high for the average player.

#12 Chaossaur

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 07:59 PM

Yep they should just change it to get 125 bags over both modes

So if you do the quickplay completely and get your holiday bonus 25 from logging in on the 27th you're done, it's a participation award is what it should be , not given only to premades who are the only ones who are going to be getting this in faction.

I'd also drop the requirement to 200 score for faction for your 2 bags

#13 4mrArmyGuy

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 11:47 PM

My unit dropped about 10 times today in Faction Warfare (Invasion) and we probably won about about a third of our matches so we aren't too bad a group of players. We probably win about 75% of our QP matches. I can understand if a player doesn't perform well they can't beat the challenge but something seems out of balance. In QP, a player doesn't necessarily have to be the one who gets 3 kills and over 600 damage to earn a match score above 150. You can even earn a high match score when you lose in QP. I got 35 assists and over 1200 damage in a FP match and got a match score of around 187, while another player had 20 assists, 1 kill, and over 700 damage and they had a match score of over 250. I am not sure I understand what is taken into account when calculating these scores but it doesn't seem to be an achievable challenge. I have seen some comments from a few rude and self-important players who are getting match scores of 300 + but with 3 kills, 41 assists, and 2300 damage and saying

Posted ImageDarkhorse045, on 20 December 2017 - 10:59 AM, said:

It's only challenging if you cannot fight well, its a matter of playing smart and knowing when to peek and fight with the clans range advantage. And if your team doesn't want to coordinate and cooperate that round, use them as bait.

What kind of smart-aleck remark is that? It strikes me that perhaps this is a challenge only achievable by solid tier 1 or 2 players and solid teams who have been running FW matches together for months. Is this really the kind of game environment that Piranha wants? One of the reasons I stopped playing another online game was because the attitude of the players who had been playing for a number of years was that the game was their own little fiefdom where they would prey upon new players and joke about how bad they were at playing the game. Who wants to play a game where new and growing players are mocked and challenges can only be met by the most elite players?

Piranha employees and any of their designated player representatives should be discouraging this type of behavior and encouraging fair game-play and good sportsmanship while having solid competition. If Piranha allows self-important and entitled players to dictate how challenges and competition are to be done they will eventually find themselves left with a small core group of supporters while everyone else goes looking elsewhere for good entertainment. Really, who wants to play with a bunch of jerks?

#14 Spectralfx

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 02:49 AM

I just want to say that I've been playing all night and only got 2 matches where I had past the threshold.

All the Stomping I've experienced is the reason why I hate FP in the first place. But doing all of this for nothing is the worst experience I had with an event, but more so because one of the pick a mech prize is one that I really want.

I am not interested in joining a group. I much prefer QP matches that feel way more balanced and have better map layout in general.

Invasion is the worst game mode of all time with the worst maps in all gaming history in my opinion.

PGI fix this freaking mess already.

Edited by Spectralfx, 27 December 2017 - 03:00 AM.

#15 denofsteves

• Pip
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 12:09 PM

I agree that 250 in FW is not achievable for the average player. Average player gets all 4 mechs shot out, so usually can't hit 1000 / 4 = 250 match score. You have to NOT play as a team and try to be the one guy that doesn't die before time runs out to do it, which hamstrings the rest of the team that is trying to win conventionally. This goes against what FW is, and makes the event un-do-able.

#16 HeliosFive

Rookie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:40 PM

The only way I've seen people beat this mode was when our whole team stomped the enemy team then sat around their dropzone and spawnkilled what came out. Even then only half our team got enough score. You have to be greedy and try to get damage rather than focus on teamplay too much.

This event is truly lopsided to make players hate faction play. Im for sure not returning. Both being on the winning and receiving end of pubstomping is awful gameplay.

#17 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 27 December 2017 - 05:29 PM

Add me to the list of people now completely ticked off by the Event... PGI blew it completely and horribly when they called for a 250 MS on CW/FW/FP, and then decided to fail to fix the Formula so it didn't dock unusually harshly. Anybody who's not already a "Top Tier 1" is going to have trouble with this Event, without question. It's those without the large stocks of Mechs who needed more, and the only people who are going to get the Pick-A-Prize are those who already have a bunch. I really don't mind a challenge, but this has gone beyond being a good challenge into the territory of masochism-type behavior. That unfortunately marks too much of this rather insane Event as being a trudge through "Self-Punishment Hell", instead of something memorable and enjoyable. If PGI wanted more people to play and stick around, they're having the exact opposite effect right now. :angry:

Which, by the way, this makes my third time in a row that I will fail this "Stocking Stuffer"-type Event. I'm feeling like throwing myself off a bridge IRL now, because I've put everything I've got into it, and I'm not getting enough back to match my level of effort given, which has resulted in a lot of lost sleep and other issues. And I've completed other Events before, so to have one during the freaking Holidays that feels like a Punishment is simply wrong. :(

EDIT :: Before I forget, it should be noted that not just the Inner Sphere is having trouble. Clan pilots are also affected by PGI's madness. -_-

~D. V. "What's the point, if an Event can make you feel like you're being punished and depressed to death?" Devnull

Edited by D V Devnull, 27 December 2017 - 05:38 PM.

#18 Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 10:21 PM

View PostSam Ael, on 20 December 2017 - 04:36 AM, said:

Even if you lose all your mechs, you can achieve 250 MS. It's not a matter of balance:

Posted Image

So my take on this. What is the average match score? The bell curve is useful tool to identify where most of anything is, which would apply to piloting mechs in this case. The bell curve means the average amount of something falls within 80% of the curve (with 10% above and 10% below. Did 80% of the pilots on the winning and losing team get your 400+ average match score? If 80% of the community can't achieve the average, then the average is wrong.

Also raw damage does not equal 1/4 point. Had a match of 1300+ but my score was around 235. Looking at the numbers in the matches I played 1500 = 250 which would make it 375 points per mech, which would make it a ratio of 1:6.

#19 Devolton

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 44 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSG

Posted 28 December 2017 - 08:05 AM

Hi PGI

I really having a tough time in getting 1 MP in FP. It not worth it to get a free mech which I can buy with CM/MC. It not that I cannot get that 250 match pt. That easy to get if you play well, read above comment they explain how. BUT when it tag with a MUST WIN. (this also I find out in chat , since I cannot find the formula in event web page, it use to have it in the old day and also I can see my result after 1 hour . The new in game update is good but need to include the HOW MUST WIN condition formula ) I nearly scream out loud when the random team keep losing match after match. Lost 8 matches in a roll until 1 win today. This have happen so many time for the pass few day until I finally now give up. Seriously, If you put there must score 250pt , please write the condition and also remove the win condition in FP in the future. Have a happy new year MWO. Very tired now.

Edited by Devolton, 28 December 2017 - 08:06 AM.

#20 Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 08:17 AM

mwomercs.com/events/72

It's actually pretty clear that you must obtain 250 match points.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users