Assassin And Roughneck Recommendations?

10 replies to this topic

#1 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 07:37 PM

I'm a returning player, been playing again for a little over a week. I've saved up twenty million C-Bills and am buying some of the mechs on sale. Among them decided on an Assassin and a Roughneck. I'm just not entirely sure what to make of any of them, though.

I was very happy to see a 40-ton medium mech go on sale. I bought a Cicada and it was just awful so I'm glad to see that the assassin is actually quite good. All of the assassin variants seem like they could be good so at the moment I'm thinking of going with the ASN-27 just because it comes with an XL and ECM and maybe picking up others in the future if I like that one.

As for the roughneck, I could use a little guidance because heavies are the only weight class I have little experience with. I have forty-something battlemechs and exactly four of them are heavies. Three of them are Thunderbolts from an old mech bundle, the other being a Catapult. I never found the Thunderbolts to be worthwhile, unfortunately. The roughneck has rewnewed my interest because it would fit very well in a FP drop deck, presuming I could actually pilot it well. The 2A currently has my attention, as it reminds me a lot of the Hunchback, my favourite medium weight class chassis, but I'm open to suggestions.

#2 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:23 PM

My ASN-27 have 3 med laser and 2 srm6, full armor, 4 jj and biggest xl you can fit. Quite good mech.

For the roughneck, they got good high mount weapon emplacement. got one with twin rac2, 2 lmg and 1 mrm40. My build is good for pug, not much for FP.

Edited by Damnedtroll, 20 December 2017 - 08:30 PM.

#3 Darrious Quinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 244 posts
  • LocationUS East Coast

Posted 21 December 2017 - 06:26 AM

Hail Caesar!...and welcome back. (Sorry had too)

Speaking from very recent experience with my Roughnecks, I have found myself very pleased with the RGH-1C. I don't really follow meta that closely, but I do what works for me, and so far, this little monster has proven to be a terror when you stick with other, more high priority, heavies or assaults.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...dee36e8cef1c3bb

The RAC5 is totally up to preference and taste. An UAC5 would work just as well I'm sure or even an LBX10. I just like the feel of the RAC5 and it compliments the MRM systems due to face time.
Runs a tad hot under prolonged fire and you better know how to twist for dmg spreading, but its been a solid mech for me so far. It can struggle with lights though. Both weapons systems are sluggish to track a fast moving target at point blank.

#4 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,759 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 21 December 2017 - 08:15 AM

The 2A is a good variant and the 3A is a decent laser vomit ride.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#5 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 01:01 PM

If you want to follow the meta, the best Assassin is the 21, with 4 SRM4s. Fun mech, and pretty effective.

If you like ballistics, the Roughneck-1A can do 4 UAC/2s, it's fun (but the arm mounts are annoying).
The 1C can do AC/20 + 4 SRM6s (or ASRM4s), nice brawler.

#6 Palfatreos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 398 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 03:27 PM

ASN-21

#7 Karl the Plumber

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 197 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 04:37 PM

You're gonna love the roughneck if you love the hunchie. Same tactics apply: stick, twist, and move. It's tougher and faster than the hunchie, so you'll also find yourself relying less on great positioning and more on raw firepower. Roughnecks can facetank if you need them to, but most of the time you'll be mobile enough to hit and run.

Mega Hunch build: 2A
My preferred build, the Local 47: 1A

#8 Broganos

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 128 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 23 December 2017 - 11:17 AM

You can do the Assassin 21 with 4 SRM6s which is really nice. Pretty XL safe too, just keep the speed above 120 kph. Still skilling mine up, but fun mech and surprisingly tough to kill.

For the Roughneck, I only just got the 3A myself, but I really like it for laser vomit. Running 5 medium lasers and 2 large lasers, still moving over 75 kph without any skills.

#9 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 December 2017 - 01:04 PM

The Assassin is about to get nerfed, so I recommend waiting to see how that turns out before getting them. Roughnech is a pretty solid machine my experience. They're all pretty similar. I got the energy one and the one with two ballistic hard points in the shoulder.

#10 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:59 PM

View PostNRP, on 28 December 2017 - 01:04 PM, said:

The Assassin is about to get nerfed

Is it? :(

#11 Karl the Plumber

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 197 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 07:45 PM

personally, i don't feel that the nerfs are as deadly to mech performance as some people claim. Buy whatever you like the look and feel of.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users